Author Topic: Cil Bach, Llangedwyn  (Read 11861 times)

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cil Bach, Llangedwyn
« on: Tuesday 27 January 09 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi folks
My ggg grandfather, William Vaughan was a head farmer of 40 acres at Cil Bach, Llangedwyn/Llangedwin , I have census returns showing that he, (and after his death, his family), lived here from 1841 until 1901, (by 1901 they were the Jones family). 

Can anyone tell me if Cil Bach was a farmhouse and if so does it still exist?

Thank you
Jean :)

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
Re: Cil Bach, Llangedwyn
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 January 09 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi there,

I may be able to help you when I return to work as I am able to do some searching on a couple of databases. Unfortunately, for you anyway, I'm off work until something like the 8th Feb.

However, have you had a look at maps on line?. If you go to www.old-maps.co.uk and search on Cil Bach, it brings up one property which is near Meifod, Powys. This is not too far from Llangedwyn and if you look at map number six, which is dated 1953, then Cil Bach is shown.

I see no reson for it not to exist now and I guess it was a farm. The name means small corner/retreat.

Good luck with your research.
  :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 January 09 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Llywd

Thanks for the info I'll check out the old maps site.  I love the translation of the name, it sounds like a lovely place but I bet it was hard work!

My gg grandmother didn't stay there she moved to Birkenhead but I know from census returns and marriage certificates that she kept in touch with her family in Wales.

Thanks again

Regards Jean  :)

Offline Llwyd

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Searching,forever searching!!!.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi there again,

As promised and remembered, I have checked the database and it appears Cil Bach is still in existence and is being lived in.
 :)
Humphreys; originating in Montgomeryshire and spreading out locally, nationally and internationally.
"Yma o hyd".

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Llwyd   :)

Offline nelly_leicester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 July 09 00:39 BST (UK) »
Hi folks

This thread caught my eye as some of my family were born in Llangedwyn/Llangedwin, one (still trying to verify the connection!) at Cil Bach in 1821 - Thomas Davies.  By 1823 the family had moved to Tynyrhos, further down the road.

Following on from Llwyd's suggestion, there is another possibility for the location of Cil Bach.  If you try the old maps website again and search on 'Cil Mawr', it finds one in Llangedwyn and right next to it is Cil Bach......

By the way, I have a direct ancestor in my tree: Mary Vaughan bap 25th Dec 1790, Llangedwin, parents Edward and Margaret (nee Jones) - any connection?

Best wishes
Jane
BIRCH Heswall, Cheshire
DAVIES Llangedwyn, Denbishire
GREENE Wallasey, Cheshire
JONES Llanrhaeadr yn Mochnant, Denbighshire
LEACH Runcorn, Cheshire
LEICESTER Wallasey, Cheshire
McAFEE / McFEE Belfast, Antrim
WINSON Kent

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 09:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane

Thanks for your help on the location of Cil Bach, I'll have another look at the old maps site with your advice in mind.

I have a direct ancestor called Mary Vaughan but from census returns I have her birth  as approx 1806, as yet I do not know who her parents were.

She was married to William Vaughan and their daughter Margaret was my gg grandmother who married David Davies, a mason from Pembrokeshire in Birkenhead in 1859 and my g grandfather, William Thomas Davies was born in 1863.       

William and Mary Vaughan had about 10 children, one of their sons was called Edward.   The 1881 census shows that Mary was a widower and that one of her daughters, Hannah and her husband Thomas Jones were living at Cil Bach with her and four of her grandchildren.

(I notice from the 1871 and 1881 cenus that Jane and John Davies live at Tynyrhos). 

I'm afraid I'll have to ask you the question you asked me about Mary Vaughan, do you think there is any connection?

Jean  :)

Offline nelly_leicester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 14:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean

Will have to check out the Vaughan connection later.  There are so many in the area it's difficult to untangle them all and it's a part of the family I've not done much work on.

I thought I'd just make a quick check on photos I took last year when attending a family wedding in Llangedwin.  I live quite a long way from there and, of course, couldn't miss the opportunity to take photos of any graves I thought I might have a connection with to work on later. (Everyone else was taking photos of the bride, groom and guests whilst I was hopping about the graveyard in all my wedding gear frantically photoing graves!! :)) Anyway, I have a photo of the grave of a William Vaughan of Cil Bach if you're interested.  The year of death is a bit difficult to make out but it looks like 1861 aged 66yrs.  Let me know if you want this.......

Best wishes
Jane
BIRCH Heswall, Cheshire
DAVIES Llangedwyn, Denbishire
GREENE Wallasey, Cheshire
JONES Llanrhaeadr yn Mochnant, Denbighshire
LEACH Runcorn, Cheshire
LEICESTER Wallasey, Cheshire
McAFEE / McFEE Belfast, Antrim
WINSON Kent

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 16:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane

(Everyone else was taking photos of the bride, groom and guests whilst I was hopping about the graveyard in all my wedding gear frantically photoing graves!! )
    ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I like your style - I can just picture it, I bet most rootschatters can empathise :D

I would love a copy of William Vaughan's grave photo, I can pm you with my email address unless you would rather post it on rootschat

Thank you

Jean   :)