Author Topic: Cil Bach, Llangedwyn  (Read 11889 times)

Offline nelly_leicester

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cil Bach, Llangedwyn
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 July 09 19:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Jean

I haven't uploaded a photo before but here goes....... I've had to resize it so it might be better if you sent me your email address so I can send a larger version direct.  I've found one or two other Vaughan graves also, so I'll send you the lot.

Jane
BIRCH Heswall, Cheshire
DAVIES Llangedwyn, Denbishire
GREENE Wallasey, Cheshire
JONES Llanrhaeadr yn Mochnant, Denbighshire
LEACH Runcorn, Cheshire
LEICESTER Wallasey, Cheshire
McAFEE / McFEE Belfast, Antrim
WINSON Kent

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 23 July 09 09:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane

Thanks for posting the photo, I've also pm'd you with my email address.

The graveyard looks lovely and peaceful and well kept, is the church it's in called St Cedwyn?  I've got a picture of St Cedwyn from the genuki website.

Thanks again

Jean  :)

Offline alastairgm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 25 July 09 19:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Jane,
I wonder if you took a photo of my Aunt and Uncle's headstone when you were busy after the wedding. She was Flora MacDonald (1897 - 1975) and he was the Rev. Thomas Cowan Davies (died 30th Mar. 1948). If so, I'd love a copy. I used to have one until last year when I lost it in a computer crash, so if you can send me one I'd be very grateful. If you can I'll PM you my address.
Regards, Alastairgm
Moray - (In Rafford) MacDonald, Laing, Younie.
Orkney - (In Evie.) Robertson, Sinclair, Laird.
Herefordshire - Fox, Graty.
Gloucestershire - Price, Spackman, Bourne, Tugman,   Burroughs, Brassington.
Cheshire - Fox, Orrett.

Offline nelly_leicester

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 26 July 09 00:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Alastair

I  haven't got a picture of this grave, but I intend to go back to the area some time this year and will gladly take one for you.  Have you any idea whereabouts in the graveyard the headstone is?

Best wishes
Jane
BIRCH Heswall, Cheshire
DAVIES Llangedwyn, Denbishire
GREENE Wallasey, Cheshire
JONES Llanrhaeadr yn Mochnant, Denbighshire
LEACH Runcorn, Cheshire
LEICESTER Wallasey, Cheshire
McAFEE / McFEE Belfast, Antrim
WINSON Kent

Offline GL Williams

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 24 December 09 18:30 GMT (UK) »
Hello, I was just browsing the net and came across your Chat.

I was brought up on the farm that now encompasses Cil Bach - which is the neighbouring farm (literally across the road) Cil Mawr ( Mawr means big)

My brother still lives on and farms the land.

Unfortunately the house has been knocked down many years ago and is now replaced by a modern steel framed cow & sheep shed.  The one part that remains is the original back ( North) wall and from memory the bread oven that would have been on the NW corner of the old house.

If you would like a piece of the original house let me know and I will get a piece next time I visit my brother ( probably over New Year).

If you have any more questions ( including regarding relatives ) let me know as if your family are still in the farming community then my brother will probably know them as it is very close nit in that part of Wales especially in the Welsh speaking community - we are 1st language Welsh ( Cymraeg)

I hope this helps 

Nadolig llawen a Blwyddyn Newydd Dda as we say yn Gymraeg. ( Merry Xmas and Happy New Year).

Geraint Williams

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 24 December 09 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Hello Geraint

Jean here, I started this thread with the question about Cil Bach, it's great to hear from you.  Thank you for answering my original question about the farm. Maybe your brother will know if anyone living nearby is descended from the Vaughan family or the Jones family who farmed there in later years and were descended from the Vaughan family.  My gg grandmother had moved to Birkenhead by 1859 so non of my direct family still live there but I would be happy to hear if i have any second or third cousins etc in the area.

I would love a piece of the original house if possible, thank you so much for the offer, and thanks for the Christmas and New Year wishes in Welsh, I know from the census that my ancestors spoke Welsh as their 1st language. 

I will have to go now as visitors have arrived, have a Happy Christmas and New Year

Offline christine65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 17 January 10 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello Jean et al,

I have just read your chat re ancestors in Llangedwyn.

My ggg/grandfather Lewis Thomas was married to Maria on 11/10/1813 at Llanrhaedr-ym-Mochnant and shows his occupation and address as 'Farmer Cil Fach, Llangedwin'. They subsequently had a child James in 1814, baptised at Llanrhaedr and still living in Llangedwyn. Lewis and family moved to Liverpool sometime between 1814 and 1825, but I cannot trace any further info for them during this time.
My question - could Cil FACH be the same as Cil Bach as I can't trace any mention of Cil Fach on old maps? The time scale would fit with the info re Thomas Davies living there since 1821.

Any help or suggestions re further research would be very much appreciated!

Offline purplekat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 17 January 10 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christine65

I think that Cil Fach and Cil Bach probably are the same place but hopefully Jane, (descendant of Thomas Davies),  will see this post as she will probably be able to confirm it and give you further info. 

Offline janey12

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 30 November 12 20:30 GMT (UK) »
There are Vaughans living in the Llanrhaeadr area, two brothers acted in a film with Hugh Grant (A man who went up a hill but came down a mountain).