Author Topic: Commissioned Officers - Royal Army Medical Corps  (Read 19788 times)

Offline Duck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Commissioned Officers - Royal Army Medical Corps
« on: Tuesday 27 January 09 16:09 GMT (UK) »
I have a Roll of Officers in the Royal Army Medical Corps.

It lists all Officers commissioned between 1898 - 1960 with a birth date, qualifications, medical school and brief military history

There are 2088 Medical Officers and 441 Non-Medical Officers

I am more than happy to look information up

Simon
Nash, Whittingham - Wolverhampton<br />Nash, Whittingham, Pardoe, Cartwright - Worcs<br />Osbaldeston, Kay, Wyles, - Preston, Lancs<br />Dippnall, Poulton, Burton, Dawes - Manchester/Salford<br />McPoland, Tildesley, Iveson, Fox - Lancashire North Of The Sands
Wild, - Claughton, Lancashire
Kay, - Longridge, Chipping, Ribchester

Offline Duck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Commissioned Officers - Royal Army Medical Corps
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 January 10 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Also online is the Johnston Roll, listing all Officers who served with the Army Medical Services between 1727 - 1898

http://www.archive.org/details/rollofcommisssio00johnuoft
Nash, Whittingham - Wolverhampton<br />Nash, Whittingham, Pardoe, Cartwright - Worcs<br />Osbaldeston, Kay, Wyles, - Preston, Lancs<br />Dippnall, Poulton, Burton, Dawes - Manchester/Salford<br />McPoland, Tildesley, Iveson, Fox - Lancashire North Of The Sands
Wild, - Claughton, Lancashire
Kay, - Longridge, Chipping, Ribchester

Offline Peter35

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 December 10 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Hello Simon.

I would be most grateful for all and anything you might have on:

Captain George Agincourt Hodges, RAMC

George Hodges was an Australian who had remained in England after completing his medical studies at the University of Edinburgh.

(His brother, Captain Norman Hodges, ASC, MC, travelled from Australia to England and enlisted in 1915. He is buried in St Pol British Cemetary).

I’ve been unable to find an MIC.

I’m interested in his military history. I understand he is likely to be mentioned in the Tank Corps’ War Diary; and could be mentioned in the DDMS’ War Diary for whatever Division the Tank Corps served with. I haven’t pursued that (yet) as I cannot access them from Australia. 

I’m also interested in his medal citation. I have been unable to find it in the London Gazette or Lancet or British Medical Journal.

I’ve copied below some short biographical details:

~August           1915   RAMC                             T / Lieutenant *1*   

23rd August   1916                                        T/ Captain *2*

< October           1918   RMO,*3*  5th Battalion, Tank Corps *4*   

30th May           1919   Military Cross *5*   

*1* Given the ‘rule of thumb’ that doctors enlisted into the RAMC at the rank of Lieutenant, and were promoted to Captain one year later. The 1918 Army List records Captain Hodges’ promotion to Captain as 23rd August 1916, see immediately below.     
*2* 1918 Army List, p 1707.
*3*  Given Captain Hodges was attached to 5th Battalion, Tank Corps at the time of the actions leading to his award of the Military Cross (see The London Gazette, 30 May 1919, page 6828, referenced below) it follows he was the unit’s Regimental Medical Officer.
*4* Being the unit Captain Hodges was attached to at the time of the actions leading to his award of the Military Cross. See The London Gazette, 30th May 1919, page 6828, referenced immediately below
*5* The London Gazette, Issue 3170, published 30th May 1919, Fifth Supplement, 3 June 1919, page 6828, column 2, last entry,
http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/31370/pages/6828

Thanks and Regards,

Peter

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 December 10 18:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Have you any info on Capt John Clifford Metcalfe MC he was with the West Riding Field Ambulance KIA 1918.Think he was a surgeon at Leeds General Infirmary pre war

Thanks

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline Bonnie21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 March 12 18:01 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I hope I have done this correctly.....very new at this!

I am looking for any information at all regarding my grandfather Dr Arthur Turnbull, dob 20th July 1884.  He was born in Glasgow and went to university there.  All I know is that he took a commission in the RAMC in 1914, entering with the rank of Lieutenant, I think.  I am writing a biography about him, so would be grateful for anything at all.

Many thanks whoever you are!

A

Offline newburychap

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 March 12 18:50 GMT (UK) »
I would love to see the entry for Captain James Ernest Thomas Munn (died 3 Dec 1943) if possible.
Latest project - www.westberkshirewarmemorials.org.uk
Currently researching:<br /> Newbury pubs  & inns - the buildings, breweries and publican families.
Member of Newbury District Field Club - www.ndfc.org.uk

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 08 March 12 18:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Duck,

Any sightings of Captain James Duncan Lyle (b 1887) shown on a cert in 1918 as Captain in RAMC?

Many thanks,

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Bonnie21

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 April 12 10:17 BST (UK) »
The book 'Duck' mentions is;

“ Commissioned Officers in the Medical Services of the British Army 1660 – 1960: Vol. II 1898 – 1960”
Drew, Robert
1st eds reprinted
Wellcome Historical Medical Library 1968

It is quite comprehensive.  You will need to go to a large, major library.  I was able to view a copy at the Mitchell Library in Glasgow.

Good luck in your research.

Offline KevinSykes

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 August 12 14:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Simon

I would appreciate it if you could please search for any details of my great grandfather Thomas Sullivan.

He enlisted with the South Africa Oversea Expeditionary Force in August 1915 and his papers state that he previously served with the RAMC (3yrs) and the Cape Town Highlanders (295 days).

He died of pneumonia on 06 January 1916 in at the Mount Dore Military Hospital in Bournemouth and is buried at Bournemouth East Cemetery. None of the military papers that I have acquired from the South African Defence Force indicate his date of birth for which I am eagerly searching.

His papers list him as being born in Maryborough, Ireland and being 37 at the date of enlistment in South Africa in 1915, however, his tombstone in 1916 lists his age as 43....?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks and kind regards,

Kevin Sykes