Author Topic: Ships Steward  (Read 9923 times)

Offline nedroma

• RootsChat Extra
  • All Census information is Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Ships Steward
« on: Wednesday 28 January 09 07:54 GMT (UK) »
My grandfather Alfred Turner (b Poplar 1874) is listed in Census returns (1901 and 1911) as a Ships Steward.

In 1911 he is living at 9 Union Wharf, River Side East, Greenwich. Apart from his birth and marriage details I know very little about him

Can anyone suggest where I might find out more information about his life as a Ships Steward?
Morden - london area; Turner - London area;Hubbard -essex(thorpe le soken); Price - London area

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
Re: Ships Steward
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 January 09 22:40 GMT (UK) »
I think Ship's Steward's were responsible for looking after the comfort of the passengers. If you had a berth on vessels from Ireland to Britain the steward would show you your cabiin, ensure you had all you needed and bring you tea and toast before the ship docked in the morning. They were also responsible for the crew's comfort.

The Duties of Ship Steward's Department is an American site but gives a rough idea of the duties of a steward on board any ship. www.usmm.org/steward.html

Here's another link
http://careers.stateuniversity.com/pages/806/Merchant-Marine-Steward-Cook.html

A little guide, Ship's Steward's Handbook by J. J. Trayner and E. C. Plumb, was published in the 1950s as an aid to stewards in the Merchant Navy. It cost 2/6d. 

Offline BarryJohn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 14:25 GMT (UK) »
Hello:

I, too, am looking for information that could be used to trace my Great-grandfather, whose occupation was listed as a ship's steward. His name was John Charles Johnson and lived in the village of Weston in Gordano, Somerset.

Little is known about him except he may have been born in a Scandinavian country, possibly Norway, and his actual name was John Carl Johnson. He married my Great-grandmother, Elizabeth Ann Williams and the marriage was registered in Bedminster, Somerset.

We know that Elizabeth re-married, but are unsure whether she was divorced from John or his widow. No death certificate has been found for  John and I'm wondering if he was lost at sea.

Any clues as to locating missing crew or leads for ship's stewards would be appreciated.

Many thanks.

Barryjohn
Johnson, Sleet, Page, Harrington.

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 15:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi BarryJohn,

When was your great grandfather working as a ship's steward?  The National Union of Ship's Stewards, Cooks, Butchers and Bakers was the principal trade union for service personnel serving aboard British merchant ships between 1909 and 1921.
www.nationmaster.com/encyclopedia/National-Union-of-Ship's-Stewards

I'm not certain if such crew members could also qualify to be members of a Seafarer's Union. There was the Norwegian Seafarers' Union (NSU) which was established on 25th  September 1910 under the name Norsk Matros- og Fyrbøter-Union (Norwegian Sailor and Stoker Union). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_Seafarers'_Union

Christopher

Offline BarryJohn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 05 February 09 01:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Christopher: (04/02/09)

Thank you for your reply and associated Web links.  The earliest record I have of Great-grandfather John Charles (Carl) Johnson is of his marriage certificate dated 13 March, 1882. He is described as a "Steward on merchant ship" . The next record is the birth certificate of his firstborn (a daughter) dated 17 October, 1883. He is described as a "Ship’s steward". His second child, also a daughter, was born 21 March, 1885. Her birth certificate describes him as a "Ship’s steward". The last record is a Parish Record of his third daughter, baptised on 1 July, 1887. He is described as a "Ship’s steward". The only census information I have is that of 1891, which does not list him, and 1901 that indicates his wife had re-married. This may mean he had either died (lost at sea?) or divorced his wife.

It seems he served on merchant ships, but I haven’t found any likely ship’s manifests (crew lists). Since the principal port near Weston in Gordano, Somerset, was Bristol, he may have embarked/disembarked there.

His Scandinavian roots (either Norway or Denmark - Norway being favoured and the port of Arendal in particular) are also elusive. I contacted the Norwegian genealogical society, but had limited success.

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome. Thanks in advance.

BarryJohn
Johnson, Sleet, Page, Harrington.

Offline failsafe

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 February 09 19:43 GMT (UK) »
Did you know that John Prescot MP and Deputy Leader of the Labour Party was a Ship Steward.
Not sure wheter thats a plus or a minus for the profession  ;D
failsafe
Social History.
Labour & Trade Union History.

Whittaker's - Manchester.

Take care to get what you like or you will be forced to like what you get.

Offline anthony pearson

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 October 09 13:45 BST (UK) »
hi
my ggfather was a ships stewart we have him in 1909 married to a margaret parker from gateshead
he had a dourght in 1910 but she died in 1911 she is on the 1911 census
his name is alfred sparrow born in 1879 in london we have no info on his family before this
in the 1911 census he is alfred michael angelo sparrow born in london
i have done a census for london but there is no alfred michael angelo sparrow in london
but there are a few alfred sparrows living in london
can any one tell me how he would have started as ships stewart
many thanks
strong/stimpson/mccarrick/pearson/sparrow/parker/howd/johnston/baron/barron/
cairns/bell/

Offline anthony pearson

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 13 December 09 13:10 GMT (UK) »
hi all

is there a school for ships Steward's in or around London for Early 1900
strong/stimpson/mccarrick/pearson/sparrow/parker/howd/johnston/baron/barron/
cairns/bell/

Offline Dinger Bell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Ships Steward - Reginald Roberts - Died 1911 - Algiers - Help
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 20 April 17 21:01 BST (UK) »
My relative was Reginald Roberts who I believe was a ships steward - Have been trying to find out anything about him - What I know is he married Louie Mulhall in 1902 in Liverpool - Louie was originally from Sligo Ireland - I believe that Reginald died in 1911 somewhere in Algiers - The only details I have comes from their sons birth certificate - Percy Marshall Roberts who was born in 1910 - Percy was killed in 1942 serving with the Gordon Highlanders fighting the Japanese - Louie died in 1933 at the age of 50 in Glasgow (Tayport Street) and have been trying to find her grave to pay my respects - My aim of this request is to find anything about Reginald and would be grateful for any pointers as to where to start