Author Topic: Help wanted from some-one living in USA!  (Read 1368 times)

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Help wanted from some-one living in USA!
« on: Friday 11 February 05 10:01 GMT (UK) »
 ;D
I use this website SOO much ...but wondered if there is anyone who could help me try to find a family who lived in New York in the 1960's.....tall order!

I had a pen friend called Eloise Etzkorn (or a name similar) I seem to remember it as  ETSQUAN ...but that doesn't look right...

Anyway she was one of a BIG family of brother and sisters (poss. more than 10).....and I am not sure now if they lived in NY or NY state.

Eloise was about my age - I was born 1951

We wrote for a couple of years and I was hoping to visit her in NY - but a family crisis put paid to my plans...we stopped writing - which is a shame - but I named my own daughter Eloise - years later - and would dearly love to find her and her family again......

~~~~~~~~

Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Areas: Yorkshire, Lancashire, Norfolk, Marylebone & Tipperary

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Help wanted from some-one living in USA!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 19 February 05 23:22 GMT (UK) »
Kathy,

Have you checked out Cyndi's List.  Makes GENUKI look small.  241,100 links.  Try the big American boards like Genealogy.com and Ancestry.com (Although now owned by the same company they have different fans.)  Also try the USGenWeb.  Don't forget to try using Google's advanced search facilities. 

Lots of Americans are just as mad on genealogy as we are on this side of the pond.  So somebody might just have put old telephone or commercial directories on line, or even be willing to go to the local court house to look up a will, or land claim.  Their freedom of information act has been going longer than ours!  School records are another thing.

Just thing of the paper trail that you've left behind in your life...  Also try naturalisation records, voting registers, etc, etc.

Good Luck

Mike
HANDS, HANDES, HANNS, HANNES, HANNE, HANNON (Yardley to Bromsgrove)
 MIL(L)WARD, COTTERIL, CLULEE, IZOD, HASSALL, TODD, STRATTON, JAKEMAN, JENNINGS, MOLE, ALLCOCK PINFIELD north Worcestershire
WATERS, Thurzo, Sutherland> Bishopswearmouth, Durham
GARDNER, Solihull;
HUMPHRIES & HUMPHREYS, Meifod, Montgomeryshire>Bilston, STS> Manchester & Texas + Kansas, USA
JAKENS, BIRD, CRAPPER Bury, HIGGINBOTHAM, HORRIDGE, CUNDIFF, Lancs
LEO, Galway/Tipperary, & CARROLL, Carlow Ireland

Offline chloespop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 06 March 05 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Kathy,

I found two people with the name Etzkorn in New York State by using an online telephone search.

Go to att.net/search/

on the screen that comes up, click on White pages.

on the next screen type in the name and select NY in the State box.

The two names, addresses, and telephone numbers will come up.

chloespop

Offline KathyM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 July 05 07:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you for help & tips - I did find an address for my friend & wrote at the end of February - but have had no reply to my letter - which is sad.

I enjoyed exchanging letters with her through my early teenage years - and think about her from time to time - even naming my daughter after her......

I have wanted to try to re-contact her for so long.....and feel really sad that she isn't interested.   
~~~~~~~~

Census transcriptions Crown Copyright, www.NationalArchives.gov.uk

Ardill,  Bourke/Burke, Bellwood, Bridge, Cain, Church, Cragg,  Dennell, Dunning, Gough, Haslam, Holmes, Jessop, Kidson/Kitson, Knowles, Markwick, Martin, Munden, Nickerson, Robinson,  Seddon, Whittle, Varley & Walpole.

Areas: Yorkshire, Lancashire, Norfolk, Marylebone & Tipperary