Author Topic: Double Row  (Read 19328 times)

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Double Row
« Reply #18 on: Friday 13 February 09 19:05 GMT (UK) »
( Miners rows at Cowpen Colliery - "A" or "South" Pit
In a triangular area which enclosed the shaft and pit yard.
From the south >Double Row.West Row.Sixth Row. Gas Row.Badger Row, and the row of houses on what is now called Cowpen Road . These houses were the nearest to the pit shaft and pre-dated the others. So although there were no 1- 5th rows, Sixth Row was the 6th row built. Or so I think !

Try it out, with use of the Durham online mapping site. Using it like a time machine will reveal the development of Cowpen Colliery pit yard  - and maybe  pan down to Newsham colliery ( google   durham gis   to get to site !  )

Michael Dixon
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline GogWilson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 02 May 09 21:22 BST (UK) »
Sorry for jumping in at the end of this query, but I remember a 'New Row' opposite Gas Row.  I don't recall a 'Sixth Row'.
To explain, I lived at 7 Double row between 1949 and 1951, then at 1 New Row for  a year before moving to Cowpen Estate.
I knew people in all the other rows mentioned, Gas, West, and Badger.  The 'Club' in the middle had a fine clay pit used for quoits.
I wish I had a photo of Cowpen Colliery but all I've got are a few shots of our yard.

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 03 May 09 00:19 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat.

I'm afraid I don't have any photographs but someone on here might - it's amazing what you can find on this site.

Alternatively, Northumberland Archives at Woodhorn have a lot of local pics - maybe they have one.

Christine

Offline GogWilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 03 May 09 16:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Christine, I'm visiting the area next week (I live in Coventry now) so I may make time to look at Woodhorn.
Regards, George

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 03 May 09 23:57 BST (UK) »
It might be worth a phone call to see what they have before you go.  Just in case you don't have the web address details of contacts and opening times can be found at

http://www.experiencewoodhorn.com/welcome.htm

Christine

Offline GogWilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 14 May 09 19:56 BST (UK) »
I did get to Woodhorn, and what an impressive place it is. Had a good look around and registered to look at the maps.
The map I found only included a tiny snippet of Cowpen Colliery, and they did,t have the next sheet.

So the search goes on.

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 12:50 BST (UK) »
 George,

You said you don't recall a Sixth Row.

In fron of me I have the 25" version of the 1897 Ordnance Survey map showing the "top" of Blyth.

It clearly shows rows of houses roughly in a triangular shape. Two long sides formed by West Row to the west, Double Row and Gas Row forming the east side and topped off by Badger Row.

Sixth Row is shown towards the angle formed by Badger Row and Gas Row.

West Row was in two separate parts. I wonder if Sixth Row got it's name from been 6th. , after West Row ( northern part), West Row ( southern part), Double Row, Gas Row and Badger Row. then Sixth Row.

Is Sixth Row what you knew as New Row ?

The map referred to by fremund is on-line at site   communities.northumberland.gov.uk     enter the Blyth section, click on Ordnance Maps- choose 1897 25 "... see extreme left of map to see Cowpen Colliery rows.

Here are snippets of what a roving reporter of the Newcastle Wqeekly Chronicle wrote in edition of 4th Oct 1873 ( he covered a different colliery every week for over two years.)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
" ...... Cowpen had gas works of it's own, and a row of cottages close by is known as the "Gas Raw", each house within which contains two rooms. It was the first row built by the present owners, and until a few months ago had neither privies nor ash pits; but now these requirements have been added.
 A brick wall runs along the Back and Ends; the ash-pits are built high, with doors just as we have them in town, and each home has it's own back-yard.

"Fiddler's Row" face the Blyth & Tyne Railway, which it overlooks, and is the same in structure as the Gas Row.

Parallel with the Fiddlers Row is the Double Row, each house in which contains three rooms, but another row, called the Middle Row, is built so near it that there is no room for such improved privies and ash-pits as have been added to the other rows.

Quality Row is a gentleman of the ancient regime and swells in portly pride at the bottom of the west leg of the triangle. Each of it's houses contains no less than four rooms, the upper rooms being reached by a noble staircase.

The West Row forms the remainder of the triangle. Its houses are comfortable two-roomed houses, with projecting pantries behind. But it is too close to the Middle Row to leaqve room for conveniences.

In the centre of the triagle are the village schools, large and well ventilated with separate departments for boys, girls and infants. There are no chapels in the village. Blyth is close at hand and Blyth is a religious town, so there is no necessity for places of worship in the village itself, although zealous Methodists hold services  and conduct Sunday classes in the colliery school. "

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Michael Dixon
( from Bebside Colliery village where reporter gave it's privies scored a higher rating than Cowpen Colliery. lol)

Names.

Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
DIXON

Offline GogWilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 28 May 09 19:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Michael, really interesting.
What, I wonder is an ash pit?

I've looked at the map and where I lived after Double Row was in one of the  two houses in line with 6th Row but separated from it.  I wonder if those two houses constituted New Row, and I've just forgotten about the name 6th Row?

The privies were still in use until the end, though of course we called them netties.  They were separated from the back yard by a lane which seemed to be made of coal dust and crossed by walking on lengths of worn out conveyor belt to avoid the worst of the grime, especially in the wet. 

Little wonder that Cowpen Estate seemed so superior when we moved there.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Regards, George

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 28 May 09 20:50 BST (UK) »

George,

Ash pit pre-dates the nettie.   A sort of midden, into which folk dumped their
 "overnight waste" etc.

I was born in Bebside colliery rows in 1941. Our house had no water, electricity or lavatory. We had to carry water from a stand pipe tap about fifty yards away. In the back lane we had an "Earth Closet".
When the whole colliery village was demolished circa 1951/2, we were rehoused to Weardale Ave, Cowpen Estate. My two younger brothers and I,  were fascinated by two indoor flushing Water Closets and electricity and running water.  Slumdog Millionaires !

Henry Young, an enumerator for parts of Newcastle in the 1861, inserted a comment on atrocious social conditions...  here a little snippet..

".... A cart calls at the end of every street..... those who neglect or may not hear the bell are compelled to keep "slop pails" for another 24 hours on the premises or in the absence of the ploice get rid of it as best they can....."

Michael
Names.

Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
DIXON