Author Topic: Double Row  (Read 19367 times)

Offline belhay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Double Row
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 16:43 BST (UK) »
Point to note having lived the first 18 years of my life at the Bella( Isabella Colliery). These 5 rows  West  East New  double and the one you missed MIDDLE double Row changed to south Row while I was at School so sometime in 1960s double Row came across the top of the Bella and it usually housed the Pit foremen every Row had a least one turnbull family and they were connected through marriege to Waugh Davisons Henderson Rhodes Stevenson Palmer Taylor Coleman Weatherby Heamsley to name but a few of the mining families
By the way a correction for you the first Row from the the Bridge was West Row
 Bella

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 06 October 10 19:47 BST (UK) »
Bella,

Who are addressing your comments to ?

My comments were about Cowpen Colliery near the top of Waterloo Road, not the Isabella Colliery .
Michael
Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline pityackafromblyth

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 07 October 10 14:00 BST (UK) »
Just been looking at this item due to Double Row catching my eye on the index.  Thought 'I wonder if that's about the Bella.'  I then saw the reference to there were no churches there, and that there were plenty in Blyth.  Months back I was delving into New Deleval history, and came across a 1935-7 ordnance survey of New Deleval.  There are 3 Methodist churches shown- one either side of the infants school, and one at the top of the lane continuing on from Plessey Road. (The old waggon way). Growing up in the 1940's the rows of miners' cottages were no longer there.  New Deleval finished at the top end of Plessey Road and the area of the schools.  As a youngster I could not understand why there was 1-2 gas lamps on the lane towards the church, and why the church had been built there, when there were no houses in its vicinity. The top church stood alongside the colliery rail line, and was still used until about 1950-2. Where the colliery rows stood was the timber yard in the late 40's/early 50's, encircled by a rail line.  We used to play amongst the timber stacks, and although seen by the workers, we were never chased off- we did not do damage ! In a previous post I spelled it as Delaval, then noticed a spelling on this forum as Deleval. So I changed my spelling.  But looking at the 1935 map it is spelled "New Delaval"  Now I am confused  ???

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 07 October 10 21:56 BST (UK) »
pityacka,

I suppose that because the pit's name was derived from the Norman family, the Delavals, it is fair to call it  New Delaval. ( New Delaval as opposed to "old" or original Delaval)

My great grandad married in Blyth St Wilfred's in 1862. His address on marriage cert. was just Forster Pit, an earlier name of the community around the pit.

Before the pit was sunk ( circa 1860) that area was called Low Horton.

Michael

Names.

Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
DIXON

Offline belhay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 08 October 10 10:48 BST (UK) »
Delaval deleval  The name coming from The Delavals of Seaton Delaval hall and of course due to local accent pronounced deleval.
 Of course there were methodistchurches at (Newsham ) New Delaval  there was a methodist on Newcastle Road which was also a cinema and I attended the methodist at New Delaval up until about 1960,behind the school beside the golf course  My aunt was married there 1906
The church was still standing  last year when I was taking photos of the old school. 
My father spent his entire life at Isabella colliery living in West Row andNew Row and later the bungalows which are now West Court.  he said the methodists had a place in one of the houses at the end of West Row when he was growing up 1920s.
Bella

Offline 734641

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 06 January 12 21:11 GMT (UK) »
I used to live at 22 Double Row, before it was demolished and we moved to Cowpen Estate. As a small child I can remember walking down to the footbridge to cross the railway line then on to the town center.

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 07 January 12 00:24 GMT (UK) »

In the 1950s I  used to walk though the pityard to cross over the railway line via the footbridge. But I did not go much further on the Blyth side. I took half a dozen steps to the left- into the Cowpen Colliery Inn.

Michael
Names.

Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
DIXON

Offline 734641

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 07 January 12 08:17 GMT (UK) »
Do you know what year double row was demolished? I can remember that we were one of the last families to leave but being so small not sure of the year. My guess would be either 56/57???

Offline 734641

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 07 January 12 08:24 GMT (UK) »
I have an old photo taken on Double Row. It's a group kids on and around my Uncles new Matchless motorbike. Not sure of  the names but would any one be interested if I posted it?