Author Topic: PAYNE Family Rickmansworth  (Read 5423 times)

Offline CFP39

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: PAYNE Family Rickmansworth
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 21:04 GMT (UK) »
If CG66 is looking for someone researching Payne family in Rickmansworth, I'm here!
Finally pinned down my grandfather's birth in Rickmansworth around 1875. Had been told that he was born in Newbury area of Berkshire and that his father was a watercress grower! My great grandfather's name was James Payne and, I believe the brother of CG66's great great grandfather.  Which I guess makes us third cousins once removed.
I only discovered my grandfather at home with his family in 1911 CR so as yet I haven't got very far.  Can just let you know that James PAIN married Ann Elizabeth Paddick in Watford area in 1870. And I have got the family in Church Street in 1861CR.
Let me know if you want to compare notes.
Watford/Rickmansworth - Payne, Paddick, Gurney, Green, Nichol(l)s
Hindringham/Norfolk - Sands, Southgate
Newbury, Berks. - Pocock, Salter
Sevenoaks area Kent - Nash, Wicking, White
Cranbrook area Kent - Hayward
Ash/Windlesham, Surrey - Chitty/Chittie, Harwood

Offline Rachel Ricky

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 19 May 16 18:35 BST (UK) »
Hi There,

I am a Payne and I live in Rickmansworth.  My grandfather was William John Payne and was born in 1902.  His father was called James to and they lived in Norfolk Road in Rickmansworth.  Do you think we maybe from the same branch of Payne's?

Norfolk Road is just off Church Street in Rickmansworth to.

FYI - There are a lot of Paddicks in the area still also.  In fact I work with a lady whose surname is Paddick and my next door neighbour is a Paddick to.  I think they family came from the Rickmansworth/Croxley Green area.

This is my first time using Rootschat so I am new to all this and I am just starting off collating my family tree.

Rachel

Offline CFP39

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 19 May 16 20:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Rachel

There is always the chance  ;)  but too little info to say at this stage. I wouldn't rule it out and have been contacted by 3 different 'lost' family branches on this site!

I've now got back another 2 generations and then have 2 possibles for the next.  I've just noted the siblings of each direct ancestor so there are plenty of empty spaces.  The trouble with 'James Payne/Paine/Pain' is that there were so many of them.  However with William John you stand a better chance. If you have his birth certificate you will have his mother's name, if you can locate their marriage this would help to sort out which 'James Payne' is your one.

Ann Elizabeth Paddick was 9th of 12 children, Edwin (no. 10) also moved to Newbury but there were at least 3 other brothers who married in Chorleywood/ Mill End.

I'll have a look to see if there is any sign of William John on line, and get back to you.

Lee

Offline [Ray]

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • UK Census information Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 19 May 16 20:49 BST (UK) »

Rachel, WELCOME to Rootschat!

Frank Paddick - Local historian - Rickmansworth - relatives still alive

Well worth £4 . . . . .
http://www.rickmansworthhistoricalsociety.btck.co.uk/LATEST%20UPDATES

Rickmansworth Museum Trust worth contacting/visit

There are (2x?) Rootschatters with connections

Ray
"The wise man knows how little he knows, the foolish man does not". My Grandfather & Father.

"You can’t give kindness away.  It keeps coming back". Mark Twain (?).

Offline CFP39

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 20 May 16 14:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Rachel

I've found a William John Payne, son of James & Mary Ann, born 29/7/1902 in Rickmansworth.  Is this your grandfather?

If so, there is a marriage of James Payne to a Mary Ann Strutt in the area in Dec 1/4 1888 (FreeBMD) which gives you an idea of dates to look at in church registers.  So you should be able to get their fathers' names.

The 1901 Census shows them with 7 children - there were 8 christened (Watford & Rickmansworth) between 1889 & 1900 but Daisy died when still a baby.  Also noted 3 more christenings, all at Rickmansworth, William John 27/8/1902, Margaret Constance 30/5/1906 and Winifred Ethel 20/1/1909.

1901 CR gives James as born in Rickmansworth & a Water Cress Grower and Mary Ann born in Deptford. (FreeBMD gives a birth record for Mary Ann in March 1/4 1869 Greenwich area,  but nearest I could find for James was Sept 1/4 1870 Watford area. He may have added to his age to appear older than Mary Ann!)

Getting their entry in the 1911 CR would be useful for you as among the details is no. of children born to marriage and how many still living.

I hope that some of this is useful to you.

Once you have made 3 posting you have a chance to send private messages, if there is something recent that you prefer not to tell the whole world, potentially.  ::)

Good Luck

Lee