Author Topic: Alexander Mcrae 1872-1923  (Read 5837 times)

Offline AnneG7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Alexander Mcrae 1872-1923
« on: Wednesday 28 January 09 19:04 GMT (UK) »
Searching for Alexander McRae in Clonmel.   According to records he worked for the government for many years in connection with forestry work, stationed at Clonmel.   I can't find any record of him at all, and wonder if anyone can help.   He was born in Scotland 1872, and probably moved to Ireland sometime after 1896, probably with wife Elizabeth.   If anyone can help I would be pleased to hear.
Anne

Offline anniedwyer84

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Irish Nutter on the Hunt for Rellies :-)
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Mcrae 1872-1923
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 January 10 10:38 GMT (UK) »
Hello...

I'm from Tipperary and going through the Tipperary board to see if I can help anyone out and came across your posting about Alexander Mc Rae. Now, you will be pleased to hear if you don't have it already. I have found Alexander and his wife on the 1911 census in Ireland. Details are:

Mc Rae     Alexander     39     Male     Head of Family     Church of Ireland
Mc Rae     Elizabeth     35     Female     Wife                     Church of Ireland
Mc Rae     Isabella             13     Female     Daughter             Church of Ireland

It states on the census form that Alexander was born in Scotland, Elizabeth born in England and Isabella born in Co. Kilkenny. In 1911, they were living at Gortarush Lower, Kilpatrick.

Hope this helps you in some way.
The surnames, which I am interested in are; Maternal side: Ryan, Kevin, Grant, Grady, Gleeson, Walsh, Dwyer, Paternal side: O' Dwyer, Woodlock, Rochford & Britton - all in Tipperary; and Kelly and Hoynes in Laois.

Ryan, Campbell, Luttrell, Grant, Grahame, Bainbridge and Brown in Queensland, Australia

Tighe in Victoria, Australia.

Grant in Philadelphia, Sullivan and Penny in New York; and Britton in Connecticut

Offline AnneG7

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Mcrae 1872-1923
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 January 10 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for your message.   Apologies for not responding earlier but I have only just opened my emails!   This information exactly fits with all the details I have managed to find out so far, but the Ireland record was proving very difficult to track down.   I am so grateful to you for taking the trouble to find this, and I will now add it to my tree!
Alexander was my grandfather's brother.

With very best regards, and many thanks again,
Anne