Author Topic: William BALLARD b Crickhowell??  (Read 8073 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William BALLARD b Crickhowell??
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 April 09 01:36 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much, fisherman - and a big thank you to your friend as well.

Very strange that he put Crickhowell as his birth place on every census.  Perhaps he was born there and but baptism etc was in Clodock - one of those brick walls now!

Once again I am VERY grateful.

Hope Spring is well and truly with you now - here the leaves are turning and the nights drawing in!

Cheers, Judith in Canberra
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 17 November 11 13:09 GMT (UK) »
Registering an interest here - I will be back!
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling
Durham/Yorkshire: Sedgwick/Sidgwick, Shadforth
Ireland: Davis
Norway: Torreson/Torsen/Torrison
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 17 November 11 13:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much.  I cannot see any records on the LDS site and, although his birthdate differs through the censuses, his birth place is consistently listed as Crickhowell.

Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 20 November 11 18:22 GMT (UK) »
I haven't had any success with tracing William's birth yet.  However, I don't know if you realise that William married twice - you cite his first marriage to Mary Davies in 1838.  However, Mary dies in the June Quarter 1849 (ref Abergavenny 26/10) and the 1851 census shows Mary Ann Sweet as 'Servant' in the household.  William and Mary Ann Sweet marry at Aberystruth 29 November 1851 (ref Abergavenny 26/5).  This accounts at least for the difference in ages given for Mary Ballard in later censuses.

Regards,
GS
Suffolk: Pearl(e),  Garnham, Southgate, Blo(o)mfield,Grimwood/Grimwade,Josselyn/Gosling

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 23 November 11 07:35 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I knew about the 2nd marriage.  Mary Ann Sweet is a Somerset girl from Frome.  It would seem that her brother lived quite close to William in Blaina so I suppose when the first wife died Mary Ann was nusemad and then married William later.   Seems there was a lot of migration from Somerset to fill up the coal mines!

Thanks for looking, anyway.

Offline Greensleeves

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 23 November 11 23:11 GMT (UK) »
I haven't finished hunting yet.  I've found a couple of Ballards in Crickhowell and I'll see about following them up to find out where they lead.  Will report back once I've had a chance to check them out!