Author Topic: strange family names  (Read 13725 times)

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: strange family names
« Reply #54 on: Sunday 20 May 18 10:54 BST (UK) »
Though nevef really common in a widespread sense, these types of names were frequent in the later 17th and 18th centuries, and had a revival in the free churches during the 19th century.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Sunday 20 May 18 12:32 BST (UK) »
I mentioned before a lady called Spanisher Robson, who wed one of my several times great uncles. Only time I come across such a name.

And Kerrenhappuch. An old Biblical name.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Sunday 20 May 18 16:22 BST (UK) »
Kerrenhappuch. An old Biblical name.
Winston Graham used it for a character in a Poldark novel. The girl didn't like her name and shortened it to Keren.
I know a Kerenhappuch Street in a town in the North of England.
The few occurrences of the forename on Lancashire OPC have been transcribed as if it was 2 separate names, "middle name"  Happuch/Happach/Happock. Result of a search for the name Kerenappuch was "This name does not exist in the database".
Cowban

Offline JohninSussex

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Sunday 20 May 18 23:56 BST (UK) »
Kerrenhappuch. An old Biblical name.
Winston Graham used it for a character in a Poldark novel. The girl didn't like her name and shortened it to Keren.
I know a Kerenhappuch Street in a town in the North of England.
The few occurrences of the forename on Lancashire OPC have been transcribed as if it was 2 separate names, "middle name"  Happuch/Happach/Happock. Result of a search for the name Kerenappuch was "This name does not exist in the database".
In the Old Testament the third daughter of Job is named as "Keren-happuch", so not unreasonable that the name should have been split.
Rutter, Sampson, Swinerd, Head, Redman in Kent.  Others in Cheshire, Manchester, Glos/War/Worcs.
RUTTER family and Matilda Sampson's Will:

Offline dckersh

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 05:43 BST (UK) »
Very likely that the original spelling was Tolmie or Tolme - derived from a gaelic nickname (Tolmach).  Name reportedly comes from the descendants of an Iain Tolmach Mc'Rory who came from Gairloch in Scotland, descendants settled in/around the Black Isle in Scotland.

Spotted a Ptolomey/Ptolemy in an Irish family tree connected to my DNA. Looking further it could also be Tolmey/Tolmy

I had never thought of it in that light but there is that old conjecture of Egyptians settling in Ireland very early ie BC

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 10:43 BST (UK) »
If I remember correctly, the principal of Rochdale College of Art in the 1950s/60s was called Julius Caesar.
I always liked the name of my friend's aunt - Clemency
My own family history is littered with Amoses, generation after generation, often an Amos Charles.  My 4xgt-grandmother was called Thomasin, sometimes recorded as Tomason, Thompson, Thomasina, or even on the ship's passenger list when she emigrated to the USA as just Tam - I expect the ship's personnel found her Huntingdonshire accent difficult to understand.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 10:57 BST (UK) »
My 4xgt-grandmother was called Thomasin, sometimes recorded as Tomason, Thompson, Thomasina, or even on the ship's passenger list when she emigrated to the USA as just Tam - I expect the ship's personnel found her Huntingdonshire accent difficult to understand.
Perhaps some people called her Tamsin, which is a variant or nickname of Thomasin.

To cite another Thomas Hardy reference - there's a character in The Return Of The Native called Tamsin Yeobright, whose formal name is Thomasin.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Wednesday 29 April 20 11:27 BST (UK) »
My 2xgt-grandfather's christian name was Pulleine and until a few months ago I had no idea where it came from. I eventually discovered it was his maternal grandmother's maiden name which for some reason his mother who died of typhus 2 months after his birth had given him.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 01 May 20 21:24 BST (UK) »
I actually have s Nebuchadnezzar Ayres amongst my many biblical named relatives.
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)