Author Topic: Jane Crank / William Griffiths  (Read 2752 times)

Offline Bomberbill

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jane Crank / William Griffiths
« on: Friday 30 January 09 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello there - first time poster here on Rootschat so please be gentle with me ;) If I've posted this in the wrong forum or in the wrong format apologies in advance....

I am trying to find details on my Great Grandparents William Griffiths and Jane Crank of Barrow in Cheshire. They were married on 5th July 1887 in Barrow and lived there up until 1911 (found them in census records for 1891,1901,1911. However, I'm unable to find either of them prior to 1891. According to the census data they were both born in Cheshire (William Griffiths in Barrow, Jane Crank in Utkinton). Jane's father is shown on the marriage certificate as John Crank - Labourer) and Williams father is shown as Henry Wilkinson - Labourer). According to the marriage certificate they were both 21. Despite all of this information I've drawn a blank so far on finding any other records for them.

If anyone on this forum has come across them (or indeed has them in their family tree) I would be very interested and grateful to hear from you...

Kind regards and thanks in advance,

Bill

Offline welsh lady

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Crank / William Griffiths
« Reply #1 on: Friday 30 January 09 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Bill and welcome to Rootschat.Im sure someone will be able to help you.I know sometimes message boards are quite daunting to first post on but everyones pretty friendly on here.
Am on my way out now if no one has replied later will have a look see what i can find when im back

BestWishes

Welsh Lady
This information is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Amor/Amer-Bromham Wiltshire,Hertfordshire,Suffolk.
Pyett-Suffolk
Wolfenden-Cambridgeshire,Huntingdonshire
Bird,Nash-Essex.
Anderson,-London.Bethnal Green,Shoreditch,Hackney
King-,Uxbridge,Shoreditch,Bethnal Green
Edwards,Roberts,Lane,Price,Williams-Llanelli.
Roberts-Pembroke Dock

Offline AlanOnTheWirral

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 30 January 09 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Bill, welcome to the Site.
Bit of a novice on here also but notice there are many Cranks this area.  No luck with your people but might have found a Matriarch....74 year old Ann Crank, born Utkinton living in nearby Delamere.
1871 census
RG10  piece 3694,  folio 82, page 3
Sorry I cant help further...good luck
Molyneux, Liverpool.
Fell, Liverpool, Wales & Ireland.
McAra, Perthshire.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 February 09 11:10 GMT (UK) »
can only find ONE John Crank on CPRDb...hope its him
Hannah Crank babtised 24/sep/1820 residence Marston ,district Davenham(all births the same)
Elizabeth Crank  ""       25/april/1824
Mary Crank    """""      11/june/1826
Anne Crank    ""  ""       17/april 1831
JOHN CRANK   """"    27/JULY/1836
Parents are Joseph Crank and ELLEN ASTLES *(QUERY at bottom of page it has ASLERS*)
They were married on 29/april 1809 in Davenham..both residences given as Davenham
Cprdb records tend to dwindle away after 1837 records were introduced...I can`t find the babtism of Jane Crank possibly due to new records being introduced as opposed to parish records..I`ll see if I can find Janes babtism....back later...allan
ADDED
the only possible Cheshire birth for Jane Crank I can find is 1870 sept qtr 8c 646 registered at CHORLTON register office...is this the area of Utkinton ?...would be nice if it was...lol...good luck...allan ;)
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Bomberbill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 February 09 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks all for the replies so far...  :)

Garstonite - thanks for all your work on this. I don't know if the John Crank you found is Jane's father - the problem is I have absolutely no data before the 1891 census and the marriage certificate. I don't think that the Jane you mention is the same as my great grandmother - according to the marriage certificate she was 21 in 1887 which would mean a birth year of 1866 +- a few years - but plus 4 years seems a bit too much.

I've looked at this for a while and had no success in finding anything new - which is odd given the data I have - a nice unusual surname (Crank) and a son whose father has a different surname (Griffiths with a father of Wilkinson) - you'd have thought it would be a piece of cake.

However, it's this kind of puzzle that makes all this interesting - and I'm really chuffed that people have taken the time to do some digging on my behalf - so thanks once again!!

Cheers

Bill

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 02 February 09 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Bill, welcome to RootsChat. You mentioned that they were both 21 at the time of marriage (ie born 1865 or 1866). Does this tie in with the census ages you've found? As people had to be at least 21 to marry without a parent's permission some people over-stated their age - may not be the case here as they married locally but it does happen. Similarly are the places of birth consistent through the censuses you've found (sorry, I've no access myself)?

Barrow would be part of the Great Boughton registration district upto 1869 (Chester 1870) and Utkinton is under Nantwich.

FreeBMD has several William Griffiths in the area at the date, but no Jane Crank, though there are several Crank births in the Nantwich area. She may not have been registered - did happen.

Offline Bomberbill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 02 February 09 11:47 GMT (UK) »
mshrmh - thanks for your post and suggestions.  ;)

I've just checked the ages from the 1891,1901 and 1911 census records and they are consistant with the marriage certificate.

In terms of place of birth this varies from record to record. Jane shows Barrow in 1891 census, Utkington in 1901 and Utkinton in 1911. William is Barrow in 1891, Barrow in 1901 and Dunham Bridge in 1911. As an aside, in the 1901 census there is a George Griffiths who lives three doors away from William and is reported as being born in Dunham Hill and I wondered if there was a connection there - but with as common a name as Griffiths it's difficult to be certain. Likewise, one of the witnesses at William and Janes marriage was a Frederick Griffiths - but I've not been able to tie these together as well. The fact that William lists his father on the marriage certificate as Henry Wilkinson is also confusing - I suppose there's a story there...

Anyway - enough ramblings from me - thanks again to all for your help and fingers crossed that some more info comes to light!

Cheers

Bill

Offline Kirstyj

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 26 January 18 16:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I’ve just found this thread and I too am Jane cranks and william Griffiths great granddaughter. Wondering if Bill you are still on here and would get in touch. I am Alice Griffiths granddaughter many thanks

Offline Raybistre

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 26 January 18 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Family Search gives a christening for Jane Crank at Utkintor [Utkinton] on 5th Feb 1865.
Father John Crank and mother Ann Longley.
The birth doesn't seem to have been registered under Crank or Longley. Looks like Jane's parents were not married. In 1871 a Jane Langley age 6 b. Utkinton is with her grandparents, Samuel & Jane Langley in Utkinton. In 1881, a Jane Langley is a servant at Eaton.
Ray