Author Topic: McDermott - Carrick on Shannon  (Read 6089 times)

Offline Surrey Genie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
McDermott - Carrick on Shannon
« on: Saturday 31 January 09 11:30 GMT (UK) »
After 5 years of searching,  I have at last found a few details about my paternal grandparents! 
It's a bit complicated, please bear with me.

Starting from the top:
Margaret McDermott (married name) born 1833 Sligo, was widowed and remarried William Gallagher, born 1830 Sligo; a glazier in Carrick on Shannon in 1901.

Margaret's daughter Bridget McDermott, born 1873,  had an illegitimate son, Thomas McDermott - born Boyle, Roscommon in 1889, (birth unfortunately not registered)

Bridget McDermott married (I believe in Carrick) to a man with surname Delaney and went on to have several more children.

Thomas McDermott  married Mary Ann O'Hara, born 1886, Longford.

Thomas McDermott (who for many years was in Connaught Rangers)  and Mary Ann spent all their married life in Carrick on Shannon, where the family was very well known,  especially their eldest son Tommy, who drove a mule and cart through the town until his death around 1968.

Does any of this ring any bells with anyone?
Many thanks.

Offline Mary B

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: McDermott - Carrick on Shannon
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 31 January 09 17:18 GMT (UK) »
I am researching a McDermott Family in County Roscommon, and McDermott is a very very common name in County Roscommon, plus one of my long ago McDermott's also joined the Connaught Rangers as a very young lad in the 1850's  and served with his regiment the 88th Connaught Rangers in  Ireland, England and India.

Peter McDermott retired from the 88th Connaught Rangers and settled in London with his family.

The 88th Connaught Rangers were disbanded in the 1920's at the time of the
partition in Ireland, and the records of this very famous regiment are now kept
in  Ireland.

Mary.

Offline Surrey Genie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 31 January 09 18:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Mary.
I noticed that McDermott is a very, very common name in that area!  And I also noticed that loads of Connaught Rangers seem to be called McDermott! 

I was lucky enough to find Thomas McDermott's WW1 army records, which at least confirmed a couple of family details.

Without living in Ireland (and/or having a fortune to spend searching) Irish genealogy is almost impossible!  :'(

Offline BostonKathryn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 14 August 14 23:29 BST (UK) »
google book search James I and "patent rolls" for a searchable book showing McDermotts of Carrick in the 1600's