Author Topic: McNaughton Perth - Fleshers (Look-up)  (Read 4886 times)

Offline Benzol

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
McNaughton Perth - Fleshers (Look-up)
« on: Sunday 01 February 09 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi everybody,

Wanting information about my McNaughton forebears.

My great grandfather William McNaughton died in Perth Infirmary on the 17th December 1889 age 55. His death certificate shows cause of death "Shock; broken ribs and forearm; ruptured bladder; internal haemorrhage" - pretty nasty, an accident, a fight, I'd love to find out! I don't know if there are any Perth newspapers covering this period. Does anyone know? Can someone have a look-see in the obit. section (or maybe a few lines about an accident) if such a newspaper still exits?

My earliest record of the McNaughtons of Perth was for my great x3 grandfather also William  when he married in 1791, he died aged 80 in 1835. He was a "Flesher" in Bridgend the opposite side of the river Tay from Perth. His son Alexander and all Alexander's male offspring were also Fleshers, but in the town centre of Perth by now. Could someone look-up the Trade/Town directories for a McNaughtons Butcher of Perth, please, in the middle of the 19th century ?

Thanks Benzol
Herts Barnes/Baines Bottom(s) Dawson Odell (Pirton, Sandon)
Somerset Bull Churchill Ferguson Palmer (Crewkerne, Misterton)
Scotland McNaughton Douglas Archer Robertson (Perth)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: McNaughton Perth - Fleshers (Look-up)
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 01 February 09 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi Benzol

RE Ggrandfather William's horrible end, was there a reference to the Register of Corrected Entries on his death entry on the register - normally some writing on the l/h side outside the first column. If so, you will see a button to view this entry on the image (RCE). It cost a couple of units but might explain the circumstances behind William's death. I would imagine there would have been an investigation of some form by the Procurator Fiscal.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Benzol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 01 February 09 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,

Thanks for the reply. Could you be more explicit. I'm a poor old English boy, well quarter Scots. I've spent many a happy hour in Perth and Perthshire over the years but live 400 miles away and have little understanding of Scottish records. Are you referring to Scotlands People dayabase>

Benzol

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 01 February 09 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Benzol  :)

Where did you get the death cert for William who died in 1889? I imagined it was perhaps from Scotlands People, the BMD official site for Scotland. Normally when you view an image, and there is additional information on the separate Register of Corrected Entries (RCE) this is shown by a red button at the top of the image which if you decide to view (from memory I think it is an extra 2 units) will take you to the entry/image on the RCE register.

Given there are normally at least 3 entries on any given BMD register, the way to tell if the RCE button relates to your entry is if there additional hand written notes on the l/h side of your entry (these are references to the Register of Corrected Entries page).

Monica

Offline Benzol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 01 February 09 23:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,
Thanks. I'll have a look at Scotalnnds People.

Benzol

Offline Benzol

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 February 09 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Hello Monica,

At last had a chance to look at my records. What I have is a single page (188) of deaths from the District of Perth for the year of my great grandfather's death in 1889. I've had another look at Scotlandspeople. This indicates that the death is "SRI" and not "RCE". (Can you say what SRI and RCE mean?). Like you I would have anticipated some kind of coroner's investigation. Perhaps the circumstances were cut and dried with plenty of witnesses. An accident in the slaughterhouse or a road accident spring to mind. Suffice it to say that I am back to square one.

All the best Benzol

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 06 February 09 09:59 GMT (UK) »
RCE stands for the Register of Corrected Entries and the reference for this register are normally written on the actual entry in the BMD Register. In recent years, Scotlands People have digitized these RCEs and made them available on line, linked to the original image of the BMD cert on line (this is what I referred to regarding the red 'RCE' button on line at SP).

SRI, I think, is simply a reference to the Statutory Register Index, i.e. the standard entry on the register.

In the absence of any RCE entry, local newspapers of the time may be the way to go.

Monica

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 06 February 09 13:13 GMT (UK) »
It is strange that there is no RCE for the death. Perhaps it was related to his line of work i.e. crushed by an animal carcass, and there was no need for an inquiry.

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 February 09 16:51 GMT (UK) »
Contacting the A K Bell library in Perth would probably be the way to find out about the newspapers.
It would seem that the archive collection is held there according to the National Library of Scotland Index.
http://www.nls.uk/collections/newspapers/indexes/

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman