Author Topic: Thomas Langdon and Abigail Cross- Brighton ON  (Read 4471 times)

Offline 2ron2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Thomas Langdon and Abigail Cross- Brighton ON
« on: Monday 02 February 09 14:09 GMT (UK) »
I need some help trying to nail down the marriage information of Thomas Langdon and Abigail Cross of Brighton.Murray Twp Ontario in approx 1830. They had 4 children: Mary Ellen m Richard Sykes in 1849; Daniel m Minerva Springstead in 1854; George m Margaret Ann Horning 1864; and James m Catherine Egan in 1864. Thomas dies in 1839 and Abigail marries second, John Wright in 1846, on their marriage registration there is no mention of parents names. 1852 census finds John, wife Abigail, her son from 1st marriage James Langdon and two daughters Sarah and Henrietta Wright, living in Brighton on 90 acres in a log home. the location is lot 4, conc 36E 1/2.  By the 1871 census they have moved to Percy Twp Northumberland on 47 acres.

The lot 4, conc 36 property originally belonged to John's brothers, Joseph and James and upon John's marriage he moved to the same locale. My direct ancestor (gggrandafther) Elias Cross m Martha Jones in 1843, On the 1848 agricultural census he is living at Lot 4, conc 36 with his wife and family as well as his father and three siblings. On the 1851 census, Elias and family are living next door to Zebulon (his father) and three siblings: Asa, Holdy and Sarah), and next door to them is Abigail (Cross) and husband John Wright and family.

I strongly suspect that Abigail is the sister of my ancestor Elias, and the daughter of Zebulon. given their living side by side with the common surname connection of Cross. BUT, it's proving it!

I can find no record of Abigail's parents on any information I have located to date. She died in 1893 in Murray Township at age of 83. Her birth date of 1810 puts her right in line on my family lineage. Her 2nd husband John died in Murray Twp in 1894 at age 72. (Yes. he was 12 yrs her junior).

I have no proof of her family. At one point I hoped to find an obituary that might list her parents but to date none has been found. I am hoping someone can assist me in solving this brick wall issue on my family tree.

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Langdon and Abigail Cross- Brighton ON
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 08:43 GMT (UK) »
Have you tried checking to see if Zebulon Cross left a will?

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline 2ron2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 13:13 GMT (UK) »
No I haven't. He died in 1855 and I seem to remember somewhere that Canada didn't mandate records until 1867. I looked for information on Crosses before at the Archives in Toronto and could only find a land lease for his son Elias. Yet as recently as last summer I found mortgage information and a deed for Elias which never seems to have been put in public record. Strange

Offline Jacquie in Canada

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Canadian, eh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 February 09 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Archives Ontario does have some wills that predate 1859. Here's a link to their webpage regarding Wills:
http://www.archives.gov.on.ca/english/interloan/c-efile.htm
I didn't see Zebulon Cross in the index but I don't know if the index is complete or not.

Jacquie
Canada: Patterson, Brown, Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Johnston(e), Gorsuch, Kitchin/Kitchen
United States: Patterson, Smith, Brown, Vance, Bower(s), Newberry, Best, Love, Gorsuch
England (Northumberland): Brown, Whitfield, Henderson
Scotland (Glasgow, Edinburgh, Fife, East Lothian): Johnston(e), Bell, Galloway, Campbell, Robertson, Williamson, Thomson, Crawford
Germans from Russia: Haidenger/Heidinger, Meyer, Meach, Lorenz

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Have you copy of the land abstract for the properties in question?  They could be either at the Northumberland Registry Office, if not then they should be at the Ontario Archives.

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline 2ron2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 05 February 09 18:10 GMT (UK) »
I checked at the Cobourg Land Registry office and the Lot and Conc # in question shows as belonging to the Wright Bros. Abigail and husband John Wright, as well as Elias and Zebulon Cross were by all accounts leasing land.