Author Topic: Hearsey/Salmon family Hon East India Co  (Read 85493 times)

Offline ontymay

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hearsey/Salmon family Hon East India Co
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 07:29 BST (UK) »
I was so interested to read this as I heard the same story from my grandparents who died in the 1970's.  I am a direct descendant of Mrs Hearsey, so the unfortunate Marian who perished in the torrent would have been some sort of great-great aunt.  I also read about this occurrence somewhere on the internet, though it was a different source as not exactly the same wording as you have used.

What a lovely exchange, I enjoyed reading it. Sorry I can't join in the "coz"-ing but I am connected to George Paris Salmon's second wife and therefore think there is no Hearsey connection.

Nonetheless I have found what is probably the reference for the story about Marian's demise which is told by Sir John Hearsey in Chapter VI of "The Hearseys Five Generations Of An Anglo Indian Family" by Col Hugh Pearse. It can be found at Internet Archive http://www.archive.org/stream/hearseysfivegene030861mbp/hearseysfivegene030861mbp_djvu.txt

Isn't it fun, being on the genealogical hunt, and doesn't the house get dirty? ;D

Offline crystalight

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Happy Hunting
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 31 May 11 18:40 BST (UK) »
Hello and welcome smiderlich, enjoy the fun,

Isn't it fun, being on the genealogical hunt, and doesn't the house get dirty? ;D

amazing where all the dust comes from  :o

Thanks for the reference, I have in fact purchased the book - more to read!

I take it that George Paris salmon's second wife is Grace Ann Hillhouse?
and their children would be Harry born 1856 Nona born 1858 and Mortennt born 1861 is that correct?

Crystal  :D
Oakes and Rance - Cheshire
Wright, Teesdale, MacWhirter -Sussex
Wright, Wooldridge and Little - Surrey and London
Grimes - Middlesex and Surrey
Cardy - Surrey
Broyd, Hanch and Lazell - Essex
Bradshawe - Hampshire, London and East Indies
Hearsey - India (British Army), Cumberland and London

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ontymay

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 June 11 05:17 BST (UK) »
amazing where all the dust comes from  :o

Hi Crystal,

Thanks for the warm welcome.

I once found a dessicated frog caught up in the dust balls under the couch. I felt so sad for it, trapped there and dying of thirst, that I lifted my game a little and made sure I vacuumed behind the couch in future!

Yes, my connection is with Grace Ann Hillhouse (1833-1898) . She was my first cousin 5 times removed, ie the niece of my 4x great grand mother Eliza Hanbury Hornblower (now there's a name hey?)

I have 5 children from her marriage with George Paris Salmon
1. Harry Salmon (1856)
2. Nora Salmon (1858-1930)
3. Mordaunt Reynolds (1861-1863)
4. Helen Salmon (1864-1911) - ref is from Family Search Scotland ODM
5. William Salmon (1865) - ref is 1891 Scotland census

As far as I can determine, Harry is the only one to have had children. He married Florence Maud Mary Shaw Barnsley and had 4 children with her. They lived in Australia and New Zealand. One of Harry's grandsons (well the only one I have found actually) was William Hearsey McMillan Salmon who was a historian and professor at Bryn Mawr College.

Nora married James Turner Perkins (b.1854) from USA but did not have any children that I can find.

I haven't found much about Helen or William to date.

They all seem to have been remarkable people for whom learning was important. There are inventors (I was interested to learn of the Babbage connection) and teachers galore scattered through the family tree. It explains alot of what is valued in my own family and shows how values can be transmitted down the line even from those ancestors long forgotten by those alive. We inherit more than DNA.

all the best

Julia

Offline crystalight

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Happy Hunting
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 01 June 11 19:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Julia,

How interesting to find some more extended family ancestors to check up on  ;D thank you for the details.

As you say, it would seem that we inherit more than DNA and isn't it fun finding out where it all came from  8) Some unexplained things suddenly make sense.

Best Wishes

Cardy - Surrey

Offline Stetson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 01 July 11 09:44 BST (UK) »
Hi! Just came across this thread when looking up Hyder Young Hearsey. Re the bridge incident, I wonder if this web page ( http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/edward-blunt/list-of-inscriptions-on-christian-tombs-and-tablets-of-historical-interest-in-th-hci/page-31-list-of-inscriptions-on-christian-tombs-and-tablets-of-historical-interest-in-th-hci.shtml ) will be any help.

The page cited is an extract from the book : "List of inscriptions on Christian tombs and tablets of historical interest in the United Provinces of Agra and Oudh" and the complete book can be accessed on Internet Archive dot com (but the extract is a direct lead in for the Hearsey incident, which is about a third of the way down the page).

The extract gives some further information, such as the age of the girl, beyond what is found in the Pearse book.

Offline crystalight

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Happy Hunting
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 01 July 11 10:30 BST (UK) »
 :D
Hi and Welcome Stetson

Thank you so much for that information, I had not come across it before and it indeed gives a little more information, interestingly it includes details of Captain Hearsey too.

Crystal :D
Cardy - Surrey

Offline Stetson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 12:29 BST (UK) »
Hi! Thanks for your welcome and glad the info was of some use to you, especially the date of birth. One more reference, apart from Pearse, is cited in Blunt's "Inscriptions .... ...." this being Almoriana by V. I think most of the additional info in Blunt could be from that source as the grave is located near Almora. I found that Almoriana is available online (not too expensive). It might be a worhtwhile idea to get hold of a copy as it may possibly have additional info, though one can not say for sure.

Offline crystalight

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Happy Hunting
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 05 July 11 21:00 BST (UK) »
 :D Thanks again, I have read quite extensively about the various members of the Hearsey family and have found something new in everything I have read!

This page from Blunts inscriptions also has a lot of information -
http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/edward-blunt/list-of-inscriptions-on-christian-tombs-and-tablets-of-historical-interest-in-th-hci/page-23-list-of-inscriptions-on-christian-tombs-and-tablets-of-historical-interest-in-th-hci.shtml

This is another account of the story about Marion from a book I have only just discovered Holy Himalaya; the religion, traditions, and scenery of Himalayan province (Kumaon and Garwhal) by E Sherman Oakley
http://www.ebooksread.com/authors-eng/e-sherman-oakley/holy-himalaya-the-religion-traditions-and-scenery-of-himalayan-province-kuma-hci/page-10-holy-himalaya-the-religion-traditions-and-scenery-of-himalayan-province-kuma-hci.shtml

How is your research going on Hyder Young Hearsey? Its been a while since I read up on him.

Cardy - Surrey

Offline Stetson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 06 July 11 07:09 BST (UK) »
Crystalight : Thanks for the quick responses and the links.  I had only browsed cursorily through Blunt's "Inscriptions .... ...." and had missed the page you cite, that is most useful thank you.

FYI, the second link you provide (From Holy Himalayas) is actuallly an extract from Almoriana, as stated at the end of the extract itself. I had already come across that. Which is why I thought Almoriana possibly may have some more info. As I live in India, it is an easy matter for me to source the book at the nominal Rupee price. If I then find any additional info, I will surely let you know.

I was only looking for any new info on Hearsey, over and above what is found in Pearse and other books, as I am planning to visit Mussoorie and Landour, possibly in October, after the rains.

A few very interesting characters, all of them contemporaries, lived in Mussoorie / Landour around the mid 19th Century which is one reason for my interest in the hill station apart from all the spectacular hill scenery in and around the location. These men are : Col Frederick Young the "founder" of Mussoorie, George Everest, Sir Proby Cautley, Hyder Young Hearsey and "Pahadi" Wilson. I already know more than a bit about the last two and am boning up on the rest, including Cautley who built the Ganges Canal the longest in the world then at nearly 4000 miles..So, if I can do justice to it, there is enough material for an interesting blog post (see my blog : http://gibberandsqueak.blogspot.com/ which has been somewhat static  of late but is shortly to be resumed).

It is fascinating to think that all these guys lived in Mussoorie at the same time, each engaged in his own adventurous undertaking (though Hearsey did not live there, he used to visit and had a lot to do with the place).