Author Topic: james ross  (Read 2490 times)

Offline lesley29

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
james ross
« on: Wednesday 04 February 09 13:39 GMT (UK) »
James Ross was born in Edinburgh and eventually settled down on Jersey in the 1880s.  He was married to Elise Jane ? and they eventually had fifteen children, four of whom predeceased him (he died in the 1910s).  I believe he married Elise on Jersey and I wonder if any records are available showing her surame, parents' names etc?
I would be most grateful for any information.

Thanks

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: james ross
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 14:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

There are no online records available to view, you have to rely on someone looking him up in an index at the Archive Centre which would allow you to order a certificate. I'll do this later today.

However, the Archive Centre does have a site which allows you to see details of what they have for public view and looking at James Ross (not necessarily yours), I can see he was admitted to hospital in 1879. There are also his Occupation Registration Cards which will contain family details plus a photograph (obviously not yours). Finally there is a copy of a will.

http://jerseyheritagetrust.jeron.je/wwwopac.exe?DATABASE=items&LANGUAGE=0&DEBUG=0&BRIEFADAPL=../web/archbrf&SRT0=gc&SEQ0=ascendingOCC0=1&zQ=Ross,+James&LIMIT=50

Stewart

Offline Hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

There is a James Ross being married at St Helier Parish Church. The index entry is July 1878 to September 1880 on page 51. On the same page is a Elise Jane Grandin.

Assuming this is the correct marriage, there is a birth for an Elize (note spelling) Jane Grandin in St Helier, 28th May 1859 to 17th August 1860, volume 16, page 67.

I can also see a death for James Ross in Grouville, September 1905 to February 1922 on page 387.

Let me know if there's anything else I can do.

Stewart

Offline lesley29

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 February 09 21:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Stewart

Thank you so much for such a prompt reply.  This certainly seems to be the right James and Elise and I will now be able to explore this matter further.

Regards Lesley

Offline Groovygrann

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 August 18 02:56 BST (UK) »
Hello.
James and Elise Née Grandin ROSS were my great grandparents. My grandfather George Donald ROSS was one of the children.

Della in Canada.