Author Topic: Agnes daughter of William Hogg and Margaret Macdonald *Completed*  (Read 15168 times)

Offline alan14578

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes daughter of William Hogg and Margaret Macdonald
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 19:51 GMT (UK) »
chaltis
sorry line three should read also AGNES  HOGG their daughter NOT  Angus Hogg
Hope all this helps
alan
turnbull- Scottish Borders ,Caithness and East Lothian
waddell-roxburghshire
foord/ford -perthshire and borders
crosbie-scot borders
galloway-scot borders

Offline Chaltis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 07:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan,

Thanks very much for that. Sorry I'm being a bit slow but could you point me at where the dates are wrong.

I've got the Selkirk graveyard MIs on CD from the Borders FHS, and obtained a bit of Hogg history from them - there were a lot of Hoggs around at that time.

The Thomas Hogg you mention (b. 1772, m. Agnes Angus, d. 1862) is William Hogg's father (William was born 1821). In fact Thomas and Agnes had 9 children, including the Agnes Hogg who died in 1873 but never married.

I've got William Hogg's death registration entry from SP which says William died 18 Mar 1910, was the son of Thomas Hogg and Agnes Angus (both deceased), and husband (widower) to Margaret Mcdonald.

William Hogg and Margaret Mcdonald had 5 children (Agnes b. abt 1855, William b. 1857, Thomas b. 1862, Rebecca b. 1864, and Walter b. 1866). Agnes Hogg (b. abt 1855) married Walter Lockie in 1878. I've got the marriage registration entry from SP. Walter Lockie (b. abt 1855) was the son of Hugh Lockie and Helen Fairbairn.

The Walter Lockie you mention, who married Margaret Scott and died in 1945, was the son of George Lockie and Ann Armstrong and was born abt 1864. George Lockie was Hugh's brother.

I've also noticed Agnes Angus Hogg Tait and Elizabeth Lockie Hogg in the graveyard listing but not traced them yet - more items on my "to do" list.

Regards, Chaltis
Lockie, Orr, Edgar, Chisholm, Scott, Fairbairn, Kennedy, Blackhall, Dobson, Stuart, Crosbie, Shiels, Mercer, Emond, Dunlop, Burden, Giles

Offline Chaltis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 26 February 09 12:06 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks to all who contributed to this thread, and I'll now close it as Completed. Chaltis.
Lockie, Orr, Edgar, Chisholm, Scott, Fairbairn, Kennedy, Blackhall, Dobson, Stuart, Crosbie, Shiels, Mercer, Emond, Dunlop, Burden, Giles

Offline ScottishAncestry

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes daughter of William Hogg and Margaret Macdonald *Completed*
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chaltis,

Sorry for delay. My husband had a look and found nothing unfortunately, how’s your search going?

Emma

Offline Chaltis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Emma,

Please pass my thanks to your husband for looking.

I've decided to put Agnes Hogg on hold for the moment, and it's possible I'll never find her baptism for a number of reasons. However, I've got lots of other lines to investigate and plenty of other puzzles to solve.

I've got a holiday booked to visit Selkirk in June and will spend some time visiting the local graveyards in Hawick, Galashiels, Kelso, etc.

Regards, Chaltis

Offline x19er

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 02 January 15 17:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Chaltis

I've been dipping back into my family history research and came across your post. Agnes Hogg is my Great Great Grandmother. I don't have any more information on her birth records but I do have on her death records and her Father William Hogg's military records including a photo of him. More than happy to share with you if your still interested?

Jan

Offline Chaltis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 03 January 15 06:58 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Jan.

I've sent you a personal message.

Chaltis

Offline x19er

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 03 January 15 08:35 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for replying, yes I've got your personal message but I'm not allowed to answer you until I've posted 3 things on this board so bear with me.  I definitely have more info on the Hoggs for you on Agnes Hogg's father William and back from there. Agnes Hogg and Walter Lockie's daughter Helen Fairbairn Lockie had 3 children with Robert McLaren Finney - Agnes & Mary but also Helen Lockie Finney (who I don't see on your info) she was my Grandmother. Fascinating stuff, like you say takes a while to get back up to speed!

Offline Chaltis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 03 January 15 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan

Sorry, I didn't realise that limit existed.

However, you've now got my website address, and on it there's a contact page for you to email me directly.

Chaltis