Author Topic: Biggleswade - Burials also death certificates  (Read 2070 times)

Offline Cambridge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Biggleswade - Burials also death certificates
« on: Thursday 05 February 09 17:18 GMT (UK) »
Hiya,
Mainly thanks to help I've received here I'm well on my way on my family tree! But I just have a few queries I was wondering if anyone could help me with!

Firstly, what is the best way to find out where someone was buried? I understand from the County Records in Beds that Biggleswade Town Council have the records - does anyone know the procedure or how they have the records?

The next thing is, is there anyway to find out information from a death certificate without ordering the copy? I think I may have found three siblings of my grandfather who died before they were 1 and I was wondering if there is any way to see the parents or any further info without travelling to London (which is very difficult for me) or ordering all the death certificates (expensive).

Also, what information is shown on death certificates?

Thank you in advance for any help! Sorry it is so much!!

Offline Glen in Tinsel Kni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Scottish Borders
    • View Profile
Re: Biggleswade - Burials also death certificates
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 February 09 17:25 GMT (UK) »
To get the info found on a birth certificate you would really need to purchase it, the index only gives the name, age (after a specific date) , year, district and quarter and the reference number.

Cemetery registers can be useful as they often give address or family names but online records may not be available.

Offline behindthefrogs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • EDLIN
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 February 09 22:46 GMT (UK) »
I presume that you are aware that Biggleswade Registration District consists of 28 parishes one of which is the town of Biggleswade.

Purchase of the death certificate may enable you to work out in which of these the burial took place but it is unlikely to be specific.  It will specify the sub-district in which the death took place, the place where it happened and the name and residence of the informant.  This does not mean that the person wasn't buried elsewhere.

It also specifies the name and age of the person who died and the date and cause of death.

David
Living in Berkshire from Northampton & Milton Keynes
DETAILS OF MY NAMES ARE IN SURNAME INTERESTS, LINK AT FOOT OF PAGE
Wilson, Higgs, Buswell, PARCELL, Matthews, TAMKIN, Seckington, Pates, Coupland, Webb, Arthur, MAYNARD, Caves, Norman, Winch, Culverhouse, Drakeley.
Johnson, Routledge, SHIRT, SAICH, Mills, SAUNDERS, EDLIN, Perry, Vickers, Pakeman, Griffiths, Marston, Turner, Child, Sheen, Gray, Woolhouse, Stevens, Batchelor
Census Info is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 February 09 06:55 GMT (UK) »
What date was this? If after 1911 you can check the GRO birth index (on FreeBMD for example) for their births which would show the mother's maiden name, so you might be able to identify them through her. If before 1911 you'd be better off buying the birth certs in any case as death certs don't give parents' names.

Travelling to London would be a waste of time as the originals aren't held there (they'd be at Bedford), and you can't view the full entry in any case, even at Bedford. The cost would probably be greater than the £21 you'd pay for three certificates

BB

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline Cambridge

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 February 09 16:08 GMT (UK) »
Thats great - thank you! I rather hoped that parents would be listed on death certificates but I'll get the birth certificates!

Many thanks!! I'm getting there!!