Author Topic: Soldiers Patrick McDonald and John McDonald  (Read 6775 times)

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: Soldiers Patrick McDonald and John McDonald
« Reply #9 on: Monday 23 February 09 15:38 GMT (UK) »
Double WOW Ian  ;D

Once for the fact that you've got a medal card with an address(rare as hen's teeth)

Twice for that jacket of his- what an intricate pattern of embroidery- I'm sure one of the clever people on here will be able to tell you all about him.

Watching with interest  ;)

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 23 February 09 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian

This link to the LG might be relevant - http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/issues/28988/supplements/10116. If you check the LG further you might find when he was transferred to the RAOC and received the honorary Captaincy. The OAC became the ROAC in 1918.

Regarding the MIC, officers had to claim their WW1 medals. Other ranks received them automatically. In the remarks IV is issue voucher and the date 8 Dec 1921 will be when they were sent to him. I am unsure of EF 9, but this probably refers to when they received his claim.

(1)   does mean France, and this is extra information, as normally this is usually only with pre 1916 dates to justify the award of the 1914 or 1914-1915 Star. Notice at the very bottom (in red) 10/19 stands for October 1919 and is when the design of this MIC was finalised. It surprises some people how long it took for men to receive their medals.

Ken

Offline groat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 09:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that Ken

I've searched the LG with as many combinations as I can think of but can't find anything other than the reference you have posted. Shouldn't I be able to find a citation for his MC somewhere?

The medal card suggests that he didn't go to France until 1917. That seems hard to believe since he must have been a soldier for at least 15-20 years by then (he was already a sergeant when he married in 1905) and oral family history relates he returned from France on compassionate leave when his wife died in 1915. Is it possible to find out what his regiment was doing prior to March 1917?

Or is this the kind of thing I can find out at Kew?

Also where should I be looking to find the type of information information you have provided from the army lists (for example the details about people and regiments at Colchester in 1861)?

Ian
+++

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 11:36 GMT (UK) »
In the September 1918 Army List he is a Captain with effect 16 January 1918. He is one of about a hundred Asst. Commissaries of Ordnance. There is no mention of where he was stationed. There is also no mention of an MC. That might refer to his surname (?). If he went overseas in 1914 or 1915 there should be a second MIC proving his entitlement to one of the stars. His experience may mean he was more valuable working at home. He may have worked at a munitions factory.

If he was still serving into the 1920s his papers may be with the MOD. Finding an obituary (or a will) will make things a lot easier. http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/militaryhistory/army/

Regarding Army Lists, some have been published on CD. Other than that there is a virtual full set in Kew.

Ken

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 12:01 GMT (UK) »
Regarding the Hussar, if you are going to Kew you can look firstly for his papers in WO97. There will only be one set so they will show all the regiments he was in. If you cannot find these you should look in the Muster Book for the 10th Hussars in 1879, and then work forwards and backwards.

If the date of 1879 is correct he looks too young to have been born in 1840 or serving in 1861. I suggest you post it on the restoration section to see what photo experts think of the date. You should also tell them the size and also a view of the back if you have the original.

Ken

Offline groat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ken

The inscription on the back was written by his youngest son (born 1882) for the benefit of his daughter born 1914. The inscription also says "all dates approximate" so there is obviously room for error. All census entries indicate him to have been born in 1841 and he was married in 1870 (although I don't yet have the marriage certificate). I also have a photo of his wife c1870 and again c1874 this time with two small children said to be taken in India. Do you think it's worth posting all these? I don't want to waste anyone's time.

Ian
+++

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 14:20 GMT (UK) »
There will be people on the photo board that can date a woman's dress for example. The other important thing is any information about the photographer.

But you are asking the wrong person. I wouldn't know a 1880s dress from an 1980s one.

Ken

Offline groat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 09 August 10 17:50 BST (UK) »
Hello again

Anyone still looking at this?

After further research I've found a little more information about Patrick McDonald. He was discharged from the army in Canterbury, August 17th 1881.
I have tracked him down fairly well from then on but am still researching his ancestry.

I have now posted a new topic on the Mayo board.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,474065.msg3336101.html#msg3336101

If anyone can help I would be grateful.
+++

Offline Colin57

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 15 January 18 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian,

My wife is a direct descendant of Patrick McDonald so we were astonished to see your photos!

Is there any way we can share info via email? To see the address Barclay Road in Fulham appear in your post was amazing too. My Father in law was born there - although not at no. 4.

Hope to hear from you soon.

Colin and Alison King (nee MacDonald).