Author Topic: Muffett Family From Hampshire  (Read 3175 times)

Offline 3716shane

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Muffett Family From Hampshire
« on: Friday 06 February 09 15:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I'm looking for anyone related to or has any information on the Muffett family that originate from the Hampshire area.
My main focus areas are on the towns/villages of Alresford and Alverstoke. I would be interested to learn any information on a Sarah Muffett born 1830 in Alresford. She was the daughter of William Muffett born 1791 in Hampshire.
She spent a small part of her life in the Union workhouse in Alresford where i believe she had a son John Muffett born 1849. She is in the 1861 census as being a visitor to Hampage farmhouse in Itchen stoke. She married a George Holland and later moved to Burton in Staffordshire.
If anyone has any information on the Muffett family or is in any way desended from them please contact me.

Regards Shane Muffett

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Muffett Family From Hampshire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 February 09 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shane,

Welcome to Rootschat  :)

Do you need the earlier census for Sarah?  1841 shows her living with William, 1851 shows her as living in the workhouse, with son John.

The IGI on www.familysearch.org.uk has her baptism 13 Apr 1830, Alresford, parents      William Muffett and Rachel
With the same parents, there's also a baptism for a Harriet, 26 May 1828 Alresford

Barbara  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline 3716shane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 February 09 17:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barbara

Thank you for your quick response. I'm trying to find out who the father of John was. She spent some time in the union workhouse in Alresford where i think John was born.
John took Sarah's maiden name which leaves me to the conclusion that either the father had died before he was born or it has something to do with the fact that she was in the workhouse. I know family's were split up in the workhouse so maybe that has something to do with it. She married George Holland in 1861, i doubt he is the father as he never took his name.

Regards Shane Muffett

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 February 09 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Have you got his birth cert?

If not, the GRO reference is
Muffett  John    Sept Quarter 1848  Alresford vol 7 page 3 or 5 (not clear which, but looks more like 3 to me)

(freebmd has transcribed the surname as Muffell) 

If that doesn't name the father, there's not much more you can find out

Barbara
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline 3716shane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 February 09 17:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barbara

Thank you for your advice i will try and get his birth certificate.

Regards Shane

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 06 February 09 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shane,

I'm not sure if you know this, but the birth cert (£7) can be ordered online from the General Register Office using the reference details I gave earlier
 www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

or from the local register office - Alresford was closed in 1932 and I think it's now covered by Winchester register office - list of Register Offices at http://www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg/regoff.html

If someone has access to the parish registers, the baptism, if there is one, may give you the father's name

Kind regards,
Barbara