Author Topic: Kilcommon Graveyard Co. Wicklow - JUDD aka JUDDE graves  (Read 40189 times)

Offline Ambelknap

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kilcommon Graveyard Co. Wicklow - JUDD aka JUDDE graves
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 23 September 12 20:39 BST (UK) »
 :)I have been trying to research the Judd family for years and finally got some info I could use!  I noticed your posts and apparently I am also a descendant of Ambrose Judd.  My great grandfather was Michael Judd and had 4 children, one of which was my grandmother Martha Judd Lowry. She married Peter J Lowry in the late 1800s.  I am so excited to finally be able to begin the search for my relatives.  My grandmother and mother never talked about the family back in Ireland.  If you know anything that would be of help, please let me know!
Lexie

Offline J.M. Flannery

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 01 October 12 16:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Alma,

Wicklow local historian Stan O' Reilly:

There was a Judd man sentenced to be transported from Wicklow Gaol in 1799 to New Holland. (Australia) He was an innocent man, also called Thomas, and accused of breaking into the dairy of Sarah Tighe at Ashford. Only one man gave evidence against him, the actual thief, who gave Judd some of the butter he robbed, afterwards. Judd was caught with this butter and tried. Lord Cornwallis in Dublin Castle signed off on all sentences handed down at this time and recognised it all as a frame up, to get Judd out of the way. Even to the point of having the real thief give evidence against him. Why???? I think because Judd was known to be tied up with the rebel movement of 1798 and that the authorities knew he was involved but, could never prove it. That's why they tried Judd and not the actual robber, to remove him from the country. It was not the first time this had happened.

c 1901 b10 Kilmantin Hill, Wicklow Who are the following?
1 Michael Judd head of household, Roman Catholic could read & write 80 yrs old (bc 1921) Retired Skinner, Married, born Co Wicklow. Michael deaf.
2 Ann Judd, wife, RC. R&W. 70 yrs old (bc 1831) no occ. married, born Co Wicklow.
Doyle, Malone, Ryan, Wicklow.
Murray of Arklow.
(O)Carroll of Annamoe, & Cornagower, Brittas, Wicklow, & Co Carlow.
Waters, Haughton, Leviston, Goggin. Kavanagh Wicklow.
Lavender and Newman of Ballyhad, Rathdrum.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 29 May 14 17:56 BST (UK) »
Its been a wile since the last posting on this topic
While looking for a marriage on Irish Genealogy i spotted the following on the same page
John Thope of Roundtown son of John and Margaret of Bray to
Bridget Reilly dtr of Bernard and Susan of Templeogue in St Andrew 22nd Sep 1875
In the comments section beside the marriage the priest has written name should be Judd not Thorp
Searching for the marriage as John Judd and Bridget Reilly brings up the marriage but not properly transcribed,however searching for the marriage as John JUDGE and Bridget Reilly brings the marriage up
properly transcribed to view church register.
Hope this is of use to someone researching the Judd's.

Dathai.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 29 May 14 18:55 BST (UK) »
From reading reply 16 on this topic i believe this John Judd is the same man who married Letitia Mooney in 1891.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 29 May 14 19:55 BST (UK) »
John Judd age 12 with the Critchley family in Pimlico in 1901 is probably a son from the first marriage.

Offline lexie1b

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 30 May 14 12:55 BST (UK) »
Cara,
I just saw your post regarding the Judd family graves in Kilcommon.  My great great grandfather was John Judd b. Abt 1775 to Julia.  My great grandfather was Michael Judd married to Anne Byrne.  Any chance you have a photo or have seen that grave?

Lexie1b
Lowry, Judd, Byrne and  O'Neill

Offline powerwicklow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 17 July 14 16:07 BST (UK) »
Hi.

If I had of read this posting earlier I could have fulfilled the original wish of photos of the Judd graves and headstones. I managed to get to Kilcommon graveyard just a couple of weeks back looking for headstones I was interested in myself. While the summer time is the time to be out and about, this old graveyard when I visited was very much overgrown. As I live not too far away I will get back in the winter months for a visit as I was unable to locate the headstones I was after myself.

To the back of the ruins of the old Church stands the Judd Tomb as well as some Judd headstones. The Tomb is an impressive piece standing maybe four foot tall and made of marble not quite matching its surroundings. Two War Graves have been  restored in the same graveyard and the following link http://www.ssdriverbros.com/blog/ has pictures showing what the graveyard looks like in the winter months. Possibly these builders may have photographed some of the headstones when they were there.

If anyone gets to the graveyard before I manage to get back the headstones I was interested in were for a Smith family that lived at Dunbur , Wicklow, and I have two Webster burials in the same graveyard. A Sarah Webster( Nee Smith) 1910 and her daughter Elizabeth 1921.

John
Webster , Parker and Smith in Wicklow. Power , Lewis and Livingstone in Carlow and Wexford. Forde in Monaghan . Orr in Cavan.

Offline lexie1b

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 17 July 14 16:57 BST (UK) »
I am excited to see this reply.  I know my ggfather Michael Judd had a monument of some sort built to honor his father John Judd and it sounds like the overgrown graveyard might be the place in kilcommon.  I would assume Michael Judd and his wife Anne Byrne Judd would be buried there also.  I am stll tracing.
Lowry, Judd, Byrne and  O'Neill

Offline powerwicklow

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 17 July 14 20:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Lexie.

My wife was with me when I visited Kilcommon and we were trying to think what would be the best word to describe what I called a Tomb, and you are right, it is a monument. About four foot tall, maybe seven foot long and three foot wide. It is impressive to look at where it stands in this old graveyard. As I said the graveyard is well overgrown at the moment and no way as easy to get around as it might look if you got to look at the photos in the link I posted.

If you get to go looking for the graveyard yourself, it is on the road from Glenealy to Rathdrum and closer to the latter on the right hand side of the road. There would seem to be what looks like a right of way from the road to the graveyard but on the day that we were there this too was very much overgrown but there were people at the farm who let us cross through the yard and up the field to the graveyard.

As of the Judd family, unfortunately I would know nothing on them. My interest in the graveyard is in the names previously mentioned. I will when I get back photograph the monument for you, unless someone gets to do it before me.

John
Webster , Parker and Smith in Wicklow. Power , Lewis and Livingstone in Carlow and Wexford. Forde in Monaghan . Orr in Cavan.