Author Topic: Kilcommon Graveyard Co. Wicklow - JUDD aka JUDDE graves  (Read 40180 times)

Offline J.M. Flannery

• I am sorry but my emails are no longer working
  • RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kilcommon Graveyard Co. Wicklow - JUDD aka JUDDE graves
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 13:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Rory,

This grave is known as  Kilcummin / Kilcommon. I cannot find any mention of Peppard in this cemetery.
However in Wicklow Church of Ireland is the following:

"Pepper, Mary. Erected by / John Pepper / in memory of his / affectionate wives / Mary who died the 21st of August 1853 aged 38 yrs / Elizabeth who died the 21st January 1878 aged 44 years. (Note two lines of an inscription in Italics (a prayer?) have been erased from this memorial)".
Cantwell, Brian. Memorials of the Dead, South East Section. (Privatelly published)

Any help

JMF
Doyle, Malone, Ryan, Wicklow.
Murray of Arklow.
(O)Carroll of Annamoe, & Cornagower, Brittas, Wicklow, & Co Carlow.
Waters, Haughton, Leviston, Goggin. Kavanagh Wicklow.
Lavender and Newman of Ballyhad, Rathdrum.

Offline RoryT

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 27 May 09 15:22 BST (UK) »
Thanks JMF and Cara for the info. I have been looking at this John Pepper for a long time and haven't yet established if he is my ancestor. The fact that he is CoI might be a good lead as it explains a couple of other bits of info from the family history.  It is also interesting that he had 2 wives.

Thanks again for the info.

RoryT
Talbot (Kildare/Dublin), Peppard (Wicklow/Carlow/Dublin), Gilman(Carrick-on-Suir), Gaffney, Spooner, Kavanagh, Foley (Kerry/Cork), Sullivan (Cork), Torbet (Edinburgh), Hennessey (Carrick-on-Suir)

Offline sgoold

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 28 March 11 16:56 BST (UK) »
Our family have some Judds buried at Kilcommon graveyard. There is definitely a John Judd Jr. (the 11 yr. old son of John Judd). We descended from Ambrose Judd (1632-1726) of Brandon Ferry, England who came to Ballymorrin, C. Wicklow.
They were originally Quakers, but it was very likely John Judd who became Catholic when he shot and killed his son (a young boy) by mistake.
Ambrose was the son of Laurence Judd of Brandon Ferry who was born in 1602. He, in turn, was descended from Andrew Judd(e) of Tonbridge, Kent, England (1490-1558).

Offline Alma

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 28 March 11 18:23 BST (UK) »
Hello!

Do you have a photograph of the grave?   I too have links to that family.  Do you have the tree?  I could find it here for you but unfortunately I have been able to get a photograph of the graves as yet.

Alma
NZ

Offline sgoold

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 28 March 11 20:21 BST (UK) »
We have a family tree for the Judds. One of my great uncles was a genealogy buff and he wrote a small book tracing our Judd ancestors back to Ralph Judd of Tonbridge, Kent born in 1280.
Are you our lost lost cousin?
Susan
Hello!

Do you have a photograph of the grave?   I too have links to that family.  Do you have the tree?  I could find it here for you but unfortunately I have been able to get a photograph of the graves as yet.

Alma
NZ

Offline Alma

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 05:21 BST (UK) »
I am related via Mary Anne Judd who married William Critchley of Bray, Co Wicklow.  Mary Anne died in 1862 and was buried at Kilcommon in the Judde grave as documented by Brian Cantwell.  The Critchley line from the marriage has been researched rather extensively by me.

"Alma"
NZ

Offline J.M. Flannery

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 14:53 BST (UK) »
Hi.
Looking at my notes on The Judd family I came across the following. Hope it will fit into your family some time.

Irish Manuscripts Commission: Quaker Records Dublin :  Abstracts of Wills
Edited By P. Beryl Eustace and Olive C. Goodbody . Clearfield Company Inc.

125   Judd, Peter, Dublin, tallow chandler.
    To my daughter Rachel Pim, executrix, two houses etc. in Big Butter Lane, Dublin wherein Christopher Deey and the Widow Bolinbroke now live subject to payment of £6 and a suger loaf and after her death to her children. To my son-in-law John Pim, executor, the house wherein I now dwell in Big Butter Lane, subject to £10 and sugar load yearly, also implements and tools belonging to the soap boiling and chandling business. To the children of Rachel Pim 5 houses on north side of Big Butter Lane now in tenancy of Widow Mercer, James Barden, Alderman Hunt, Widow Mitchell and Widow Dabyac, subject to yearly rent of £20 and one sugar loaf.
To my grandson Peter Judd lease of grounds on south side of Big Butter Lane held from Widow Bors with houses and improvements thereon, John and Rachel Pim to be his guardians during minority. To my granddaughter Hannah Judd £80 when 21 years. To my daughter-in-law Hannah Judd 5/-. To my  servant Catherine Tracy £6. Residue to John and Rachel Pim.
By codicil Peter Judd to have all utensils etc. of soap boiling and chandling trade if he is able to follow it, if not they are to be sold and profit given half to Peter Judd and half to granddaughter Ann Pim.
    Dated 13 Nov. 1755. Codicil dated 3 March 1757.
    Witnesses: Wm. Jacob, Beaumt. Astle, James Russell.
D.5.276

J.M.
Murray of Arklow.

Offline J.M. Flannery

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 29 March 11 17:39 BST (UK) »
Alma, Rory T & Cara

A little bit extra on the Judd name in Wicklow. Because your ancestor ‘Pepper’ was buried in Church of Ireland Churchyard in Wicklow, it does not mean they were C of I as many Catholic burials also took place in this Churchyard.

The Judd lady in Wicklow is still hale & hardy but bad on the feet. She will celebrate her 95th birthday in May of this year P.G. Her birth was registered by her Mother. “Daughter of John Judd, Wicklow, Occupation Sailor & Annie McCarthy”.
Her parents John & Annie were married only 4 yrs they had 3 children when her father died. She is the last of these three. Her mother re-married.

"Mate John Judd: Mercantile Marine age 24 " [bc 1893] "Drowned in sinking of S.S. "Walter Ulric" 29th March 1917.
Husband of Annie" [nee McCarthy] "Judd, Strand Street, Wicklow. Name on Tower Hill Memorial, London" Ref. 3 Mercantile Marine 1914-1918 p.4.

C 1911 b26.2 Harold’s Cross Road, (Terenure Dublin)
Ambrose Judd age 54yrs [bc 1857] born Co Wicklow Roman Catholic, occ= Skinner & Farmer. Married 22 yrs 2 children born 1 alive.
Boarding with, Letitia & John Judd. John, head of household age 63 yrs [bc 1848] born Co Wicklow. Tramway Conductor married 19 yrs 1 child born nil alive. Also on this census Henry Baker born City of Dublin age 9 yrs. relation to head = Adopted child

Cannot find any “Ambrose” in 1901 for all Ireland

Hearth Money Rolls, Co Wicklow 1669. This was a tax on fireplaces and kilns
Parish of Ennisboheene (sic) Townland: Ballytuskin [Ballyteskin] p 63. Ambrose Jud (sic) had 1 hearth. (1 fireplace)
Ennisboyne: In 1487 the rectory of the parish church of Ynisboyn was held by Geoffrey Ybryn, (sic) Cannon of Leighlin.
Price, Liam. Place-Names of County Wicklow. VII -Baronies of Newcastle & Arklow (Dublin 1983)
Murray of Arklow.

Offline Alma

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 17 April 11 02:08 BST (UK) »
To JMF
Thanks for the latest post.  I had noted that the Judd family were Quakers at one time and wonder when they first arrived in Ireland.  Anything extra on the family is always welcome.  Thanks again :)  "Alma"