Author Topic: Dr James Pawle 1820 Settler to Cape  (Read 9850 times)

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
Dr James Pawle 1820 Settler to Cape
« on: Saturday 07 February 09 07:27 GMT (UK) »
I guess I am looking for a needle in a haystack - I am looking for any information of Dr James Pawle - he married a Jemima Bacon and the two of themp plus two children 3 and 1 left on the BELLE ALLIANCE as part of Wilsons party in 1820. I have found a letterof application from him to join the settlement from an address in No. 33 Uxbridge Street
Newington Causeway and two follow up letters from 32 Gt St Helens
I have searched Ancestry.com but cannot find any records for this couple - any ideas?
Thanks
Gillian
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline snowball

• RootsChat Senior
  • Got to keep going...
    • View Profile
Re: Dr James Pawle 1820 Settler to Cape
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 07 February 09 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
Here's a record which might give a clue to his earlier life - a Dr James Pawle of Charlotte Street, London, and his partner as a surgeon, apothecary and man-midwife, dissolving that partnership in 1813:

http://www.gazettes-online.co.uk/issues/16787/pages/2040 (bottom of first column).

It would possibly be worthwhile investing in the 1848 Prerogative Court of Canterbury will of that partner, George Edward Carruthers (£3.50 online from the National Archives), in the hope that there is some family connection between the Carruthers and Pawles. http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Good luck
Rob

Offline snowball

• RootsChat Senior
  • Got to keep going...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 07 February 09 10:27 GMT (UK) »
Just to say in case you were not aware, there seems to be a few published references to Dr Pawle's life after settlement - you can see by running a search on Google Books, for example.
Rob

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 February 09 23:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that I guess the dissolution of the partnership may have led to move to SA. I am onto some more information on him through a source in SA. It appears he practiced a surgeon in Lower Albany before being appointed to District Surgeon in George in 1825, he died there in 1873. The source in SA also provided me with the names of Jemima's parents and I have found a possible record for her birth in Norfolk.
However I cannot seem to find any Pawle records on freereg.
Will keep digging   ::)
Cheers
Gillian

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 08 February 09 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gillian

What is the evidence that James Pawle married a Jemima Bacon? All the trees and threads by descendents state it e.g.

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/GENBRIT/1998-09/0905290071

(Though the dates of this thread  - even if Francis Bacon had had a son in the year of his death in 1626 that son would have to have been 161 years old when Jemima was born).

The only marriage on the IGI and Pallots marriage index for a James Pawle to a Jemima is this one. Jemima was a widow on her marriage.

JAMES PAWLE 
JEMIMA STEPHENSON
Marriage:  21 APR 1813   Old Church, Saint Pancras, London

There is an earlier marriage of a Jemima Bacon to a Stephenson.

1807 St Sepulchre
Jemima Bacon
John Stephenson 

No evidence on either marriage index for these marriages that Jemima had a title. Have you looked at the parish registers for either marriage to see whether there are any further clues through witnesses names for instance?

Were there any children from Jemima's first marriage?

If the thread (previous link) is correct about the names of the two eldest Pawle children theirs are presumably these two baptisms from the IGI, but some distance apart in mileage.

JAMES PAWLE
Birth:  10 JUL 1817   
Christening:  08 AUG 1817   Ware, Hertford
Father:  JAMES PAWLE 
Mother:  JEMIMA   

HENRY RIGG PAWLE
Birth:  22 SEP 1818   
Christening:  07 FEB 1819   Saint Mary, Newington, Surrey
Father:  JAMES PAWLE 
Mother:  JEMIMA 

Again both baptisms in the parish registers would give the occupation of the father to prove whether they were correct.

Regards

Valda
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 February 09 02:04 GMT (UK) »
Valda

Thanks for that - that explains a lot - I have been digging through some parts of Roots web on the South African list and there was a teaser in 2002 that she was a LADY - no proof. The only 'evidence' I have of her were records in the Cape Archives, a death certificate and documents on the 1820settlers website that show she came to SA with her husband and two sons 3 and 1. A daughter was born either mid-ocean or on arrival at Cape Town - the 1820 site has no evidence that a child was born mid-ocean but the daughters death certificate claims she was and lists this couple as her parents.  I have tried to look for Jemima Bacon on Parish registers on-line (as I am in Australia) with little success will try and follow your lead. I have located a possible for Christening for her on th IGI records

JAMINER BACON - International Genealogical Index / BI
Gender: Female Christening: 16 JUN 1784 Saint George In The East, Stepney, London, England
Which has parents Stephen Bacon and Martha which matches some information I received fro a source in South Africa

I think we're getting there!

Thanks again for your help

Gillian

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 February 09 19:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gillian

What was Jemima's age on her death? Does it fit with the 1784 baptism?
What information does her 1834 South African death notice supply? (held by the Cape Town Archives Repository).
and the other records held by the same repository - are there any clues in these other documents.

PAWLE, JEMIMMA. LIQUIDATION AND DISTRIBUTION ACCOUNT.1834/5
PAWLE, JEMIMA. WIFE OF JAMES PAWLE. WILL. 1834

and the many documents the same repository holds for James e.g.

PAWLE, JAMES. WILL. 1867

http://www.national.archsrch.gov.za/sm300cv/smws/sm300dl

The other children of Stephen and Martha Bacon

JOHN AYDON BACON
Birth:  16 SEP 1782   
Christening:  28 OCT 1782   Saint George In The East, Stepney, London
Father:  STEPHEN BACON 
Mother:  MARTHA 

STEVEN BACON
Christening:  02 OCT 1785   Saint George In The East, Stepney, London
Father:  STEVEN BACON 

STEPHEN BACON 
Birth:  14 MAY 1792   
Christening:  26 AUG 1792   Saint George In The East, Stepney, London

MARTHA BACON
Birth:  03 OCT 1794   
Christening:  26 APR 1795   Saint George In The East, Stepney, London

JOSEPH BACKHOUSE BACON
Birth:  26 JAN 1797   
Christening:  26 FEB 1797   Saint George In The East, Stepney, London

Regards

Valda

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 February 09 05:45 GMT (UK) »
Valda

Thanks for this

Unfortunatelly I wont be able to get to the archives until next time I am back in SA, unless I can con my niece into going for me. I have put together a list of all the records I need to look at and Jemima Bacon's is one I will certainly go and have a look at! Other than that I am pretty sure we have the right family. What I have discovered doing all this research on all my family lines is the ladies were pretty imaginative about their ages  The 1784 record for Jemima would have her age at 36 for going to SA in 1820, the settler records claimed she was 32  ;)

Any idea on James? I guess we probably need to find out where he qualified to get a line on him - I have scanned Freereg and I cant see any records for a James Pawle. Again I will need to go the archives and look for his death certificate. Might have to try my luck at getting one of the helpful staff into transcribing it for me!

Regards
Gillian

Offline Valda

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 16 February 09 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Gillian

The South African National Archives website gives a list of professional genealogists working at the different archives including Cape Town.

http://www.national.archives.gov.za/Professional_Freelance_Researchers_January_2009_version_3.pdf

It depends where James qualified - Pawle, Pawl, Paul could easily be a Scottish surname in which case he could easily have qualified in Scotland but if in England you could try the Royal College of Physicians.

http://www.rcplondon.ac.uk/general/gen_search.htm

A birth year of circa 1788 would of course rule out the 1784 baptism for Jemima. The 1807 marriage details (City of London so Guildhall Library) should indicate whether Jemima was underage at the time of her first marriage. Depending whether the marriage was by banns or licence, if she was underage then the licence or the marriage banns book (if it has survived) should indicate who gave permission for her to marry. Witnesses to either marriage might also give a further clue to the origins of both Jemima and James.

http://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/Corporation/LGNL_Services/Leisure_and_culture/Libraries/City_of_London_libraries/guildhall_lib.htm

Regards

Valda