Author Topic: Dr James Pawle 1820 Settler to Cape  (Read 9821 times)

Offline Diana Ewert

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dr James Pawle 1820 Settler to Cape
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 17 February 18 17:59 GMT (UK) »
I found this conversation by accident after searching Dr James Pawle.  I am a descendant on the Van der Hoven side.  My late father started researching James and Jemima Pawle when he retired.  As far as family lore goes Jemima was older than her husband and she committed suicide.  How true that is I do not know.  Tom van der Hoven who also contributed to this discussion must be a cousin of or one of my fathers' cousins sons.  My father was Mathijs Wijand Pretorius 1928 - 1994.  His grandmother was Maria van Wyk (nee Van der Hoven), my grandmother was Anna Maria Francina (I could have the sequence of names wrong) van Wyk 1908-1999, she had two brothers Tom and Cornelius (Koekies), for some reason I think there was a third brother, and sisters Gwendoline, Olivia and Florence -  Diana

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 17 February 18 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I did see that research which is filed in the museum in George - I do not know that Jemima committed suicide - that research said she drowned in Knysna but her death notice says she died in George.
I have only researched Maria as far as her marriage and birth of her children
According to my records she had the following children:
  • Thomas Adam born 24/10/1850(George) died 5/12/1899 (Rouxville)
    Jemima Helen Charlotte born 30/12/1852(George) died 1/1/1869 (Oudshoorn)
    James Henry John Born 2/9/1854 (George) died 191/2/1950(Zastron)
    Walter  born 11/8/1856(George) 29/11/1930(Bloemfontein)
    Henry born 13/8/1858(George)   29/9/1936(Zastron)
    Olivia Maria born 9/9/1860 (Oudtshoorn) died 16/7/1924 Bloemfontein)
    Robert Widdicombe 24/1/1863 (Oudtshoorn) Died 10/4/1959 (Pretoria)
    Charles Warden 14/6/1866 (Oudtshoorn) died 9/1/1935 (Pretoria)
    Cornelius 26/10/1868 (Oudtshoorn) 17/12/1902 (Aliwal North)
Happy to share any information about the Pawles.  As I said earlier I think some of the earlier research into James and Jemima is a little flawed, there is no evidence that she was a "Lady" - I have copies of her birth and marriage records and her parents marriage record and there is no indication of title. Her father was a customs officer according to the baptism records of some of her siblings - I need to explore that further as that may give us an indication of his ancestry, would require a visit to the archives in Kew and trawling through the records to find his employment details. Unfortunatelly "Stephen Bacon" is a pretty common name in London so I have not been able to identify his ancestors - his bride Martha Aydon is also proving problematic - I have found a "Martha Aydon" in Yorkshire but she marries elsewhere and no records of "Aydon" in London. I also have not been able to identify what happened to any of Jemima's siblings - again names too common and with none of their second names coming up in the records ,,,,.
James is also impossible - his apprenticeship records do not list parents and I have not been able to locate a baptism for him. From the age given on the known records he was about 6 years younger than Jemima.
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline Diana Ewert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Monday 19 February 18 16:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Thank you for the info.  Very much the same that I remember from my father.  Although if I remember correctly she was a niece or more likely a great niece of Sir Francis Bacon.  It is very strange that there is so little on James Pawle.  Usually with family trees the females are less likely to be researched and the birth of males more accurately recorded.  You are correct about her drowning, but the story that I know is that she committed suicide by walking into a river.  How true that is nobody will ever know.

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Monday 19 February 18 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Sir Francis Bacon lived from 22 January 1561 – 9 April 1626 so that is 250 years prior to her birth - so any relationship is tenuous would be a niece several times removed.
The research I found in George had Steven Bacon's parents as Thomas Walter Bacon and Lavinia Winifred ? and his parents as Nicolas Bacon and Eleanor and his parents as Sir Francis Bacon and Jemima Jennings - but given that Sir Francis Bacon was survived by his first  (and only) wife with no children.... I suspect the veracity of the research. - I have not been able to find any records that back up any of this parental line!
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline Diana Ewert

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Tuesday 20 February 18 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Wow yes!  I think most people would like to think that they aren't part of just general population.  There was a lot of speculation in the Eastern Cape about 'royal' children.  Still, you have a whole lot more information that I have.  My siblings don't seem to be interested in where we come from, so I am just searching for my own enjoyment.

Offline Jim883

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Monday 28 December 20 12:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Diana
I came across this site while searching ancestry sites. Dr James Pawle's Daughter's Son Robert Widdicombe van der Hoven was my Great Grandfather. One of his Daughter's was Mabel Lilian who was my Grandmother. She married Gerald Bernhard who's Son Denis was my Father
I do have quite a bit of family history.
Regards
Justin

Offline Val V

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 17 April 21 00:17 BST (UK) »
Hi
I've just joined having found the information on the Pawle's really interesting.  My husband is a van der Hoven, his great great great grandfather being Cornelius Bernadus who married Maria Pawle (daughter of Dr James Pawle and Jemima).  I also have the story that Lord Bacon is involved somewhere along the line, but having researched that couldn't find any evidence of him having children!!  Something which may help with the research on James Pawle is that we have a couple of certificates one from the Institute of Vaccine dated 25 june 1816 which receives him as an honorary member 'on the recommendation of the Board of Managers' and the other dated 1812 which states that he 'hath attended diligently four courses of anatomical lectures' but doesn't say which institute it's from ...  These were handed down to us in a box of family papers and photos, I think these are the oldest that are in there. 
Henk - if you read this, I believe you are from a close branch of the family tree - Anton's great great grandfather was James Henry John (Robert Widdicombe's brother), and his great grandfather Cornelius Bernadus, who died in the train accident at Salt River in 1926.  HIs grandfather was James Frederick who married Hilda Rose Bettington.  I don't know whether any of that makes any sense?  Do you know anything about the farm Waratah?  I would love to find out more about where it was/is? Somewhere near Rouxville/Zastron I believe?