Author Topic: Dr James Pawle 1820 Settler to Cape  (Read 9851 times)

Offline Tom10

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Dr James Pawle 1820 Settler to Cape
« Reply #18 on: Friday 11 March 11 09:48 GMT (UK) »
I have just joined and noticed the discussion. I'd be interested to know if you had any further information. My interest stems from the fact that I also had information that Dr Pawle married a Jemima Bacon and which now seems incorrect. Would appreciate any information. Thanks.

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 11 March 11 09:51 GMT (UK) »
Tom

James did marry Jemima Bacon - it was her second marriage - she initally married a John Stephenson who must have died.

What is your interest in Dr Pawle?

Gillian
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline Tom10

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 11 March 11 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gilian, my father, Thomas Adam van der Hoven was related to Cornelius Bernardus van der Hoven who married Maria Pawle and who I understand was a daughter of Dr James Pawle and Jemima Bacon.

This is based on information I got from my dad but have only recently tried to delve a bit further.

Tom

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 12 March 11 02:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Tom
I can let you have what I know of the Bacon's and Pawle's. Unfortunately I cannot trace Dr Pawle further back - he didn't leave any indication of his parentage on his death record and try as I might I have not been able to find birth records for any Pawle's in that timeframe.
I am descended from his eldest daughter Jemima who marraied William Charles Guest.
Dr Pawle came over on the 1820 settler migration as part of Wilson's Party. His letters of application and the references to Jemima's family are on http://www.eggsa.org/ look under 1820 Settler correspondence. It would appear that his one son Henry Rigg Pawle died just beofore they left England in 1820 - there is a death record in the London Parish records. Jemima Pawle, according to her death record, was born at sea on the journey to South Africa though there is no record of that.
Also on the EGGSA site I have posted pictures of the graveyard where Dr Pawle is burried his stone is included - look under St Marks in George.

One of our relatives has tried to infer that Jemima  Bacon was descended from Sir Francis Bacon - this is unlikely given he had no known heirs. They have also tried to infer that she was estranged from her family at the time of her marriage, again unlikely given a Stephen Bacon was witness to the Marriage.

I have copies of the parish records - including osome related to the van der Hoven connection so if you Personal Mail me your Email address I am happy to give you copies
Regards
Gillian

Offline Henk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 31 July 11 23:24 BST (UK) »
I can give you further information about Dr Pawle, as one of his daughters (Maria) married Cornelius Bernadus van der Hoven in George, South Africa in 1849.

I'm busy with the genealogy of the Van der Hoven's South Africa link, at this time.

Henk.

Offline Henk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 01 August 11 00:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Gilian, my father, Thomas Adam van der Hoven was related to Cornelius Bernardus van der Hoven who married Maria Pawle and who I understand was a daughter of Dr James Pawle and Jemima Bacon.

This is based on information I got from my dad but have only recently tried to delve a bit further.

Tom

Cornelius Bernardus van der Hoven and Maria Pawle had a son Thomas Adam van der Hoven. May be he is your dads grandfather?

Henk.

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 01 August 11 01:20 BST (UK) »
Henk

What further information do you have of Doctor Pawle?
I have his will, death record and some letters of application as well as a photocopy of a page of list of apprentices in which I found a James Pawle apprenticed to William Wood - Apocathary in 1805 for 5 yrs at a cost of 50 pounds - I also have a newspaper cutting from January1813where  there is a dissolution of partnership notice between him and a George Edward Carruthers both male midwives, Surgeons and Appothacaries.
Do you have the bapstism records for his children born in South Africa?
Regards
Gillian

Offline Henk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 01 August 11 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Gillian,

Then you have already a lot.
I do not have any copies of anything, but the following:

Dr Pawle setup a practice in Bathurst in the Eastern Cape. (Bathurst is between Grahamstown and Port Alfred). Where apparently, two daughters are born.
In 1825 the family moved to George, to take up the position of District Surgeon. Here, his youngest daughter Maria was born in 1827 who married Cornelius Bernardus van der Hoven on  19 July 1849. Cornelius's parents died when he was very young and was brought up by his elder sister Helena, who married Thomas Adam.

It appears, that Cornelius and Maria with family, moved to Oudtshoorn in about 1863 to start farming with ostriches on the farm Commanasie (now called Buffelsklip). They had 9 children. Born in George and Oudtshoorn.
Cornelius died in Oudtshoorn on about 07.02.1889 and buried in the Oudtshoorn district. Maria died on 3.12.1909 and buried on the farm Waratah in Zastron.

Hope the above is use to you.

Henk.

Offline rhoosesue

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 19 April 14 13:20 BST (UK) »
I have transcribed all the 1820 settler correspondence at Kew and the letters of James Pawle can be viewed at http://www.eggsa.org/1820-settlers/index.php/p/946-2011-01-04-10-29-20
See the links on the right for other pages where he may be mentioned
Chandler (Kent), Philbrook (Essex), Blacklock and McKenzie (London), Poynton (Leicestershire), Sinclair (Caithness) Ross and Mather (Sutherland)
1820 Settlers to South Africa (James' Party)
Gilstain - Worldwide