Author Topic: WHELLANS family - Morebattle  (Read 32785 times)

Offline brina

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WHELLANS family - Morebattle
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 15 July 09 23:50 BST (UK) »
I looked up the 1851 Census to see where Jane Wheelans was working then and it is interesting to note that she is working in the minister's household in Crailing and low and behold who is visiting that day but James Cunningham and his mother. They are obviously related to the minister who was Adam Cunningham.   This must be the connection and presumably she moved on to work for James at some point over the next 10 years.

Brina

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 16 July 09 00:00 BST (UK) »
Interesting! Thank you.

Harry

Offline brina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 17 July 09 17:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Harry,

I have ordered the book Kelso to Kalamazoo from the library so am looking forward to reading it.   If I can figure out exactly which line Jane hails from I will let you know.

Best wishes,

Brina

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 17 July 09 18:53 BST (UK) »
It's an interesting read, and I'm sure you'll enjoy it. At one point Taylor mentions calling on the Rev. Adam Cunningham at Crailing.

Harry

Offline Whillans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 18 July 09 04:41 BST (UK) »
Hello again to Brina & Monica.
I cannot add anything really significant to the info I provided in my three messages in Feb last.  I have looked for sisters Charlotte (b~1837) and Jane (b~1825) in my files but I have to admit I cannot link them in, at least not at the moment.  There are plenty of Jane's, none exactly the right age, and Charlotte's of any age are like hen's teeth.
I write here as I am in contact with three other genealogists, not involved in this discussion, who are actually descended from the Whellans family who originated in Morebattle Roxburghshire.  Two live in Australia and one in England.  The four of us have been busy combining our data over the past half year.  If you are descended from the Whillans/Whellens/Wealleans/Whillas/Willans/etc lot, I invite you to join the Whillans Rootsweb List as well as this, via whillans-request@rootsweb.com using the single word subscribe - you have nothing to lose and everything to gain.  Once you're in, just send your messages to that List as well; it's a small List functioning now for nearly eleven years.
As far as I'm concerned, I want to link these two sisters in, so I am looking for that extra little clue that might enable it.  I have searched the complete 1841 census for Roxburghshire via microfilm and the Jedburgh parish records (many years ago), and I didn't pick up a Charlotte, about 3yo, unlike Jane who would have been about 15yo.  This leads me to the hypothesis that they were ex-Roxburghshire at that time, but I wonder where.
PS: Harry, many thanks for providing your extended data on & photos of the family of Stephenson (Hugh Eskew Stephenson married Jemima Whillans b~1798 at Smailholm).
PPS: Monica on 14 July stated "The closest I can see for younger sister Charlotte in 1871 - but surname looks to be Turnbull from later birth regs for children in Lilliesleaf".  At first this seemed irrelevant, but on reflection I wondered as three of Jemima 's hyp siblings married Turnbulls, however in looking again at my data there is nothing obvious.
Cheers (or should it be consolations).
Frank Whillans from Melbourne.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 18 July 09 09:09 BST (UK) »
Hello Frank. I'm very interested in what you say about Jemima Whillans being born in 1798 at Smailholm. You're ahead of me there. Can you supply further details? All I know about Jemima, thanks to Sonia Murray, is that she married Hugh Stephenson at some unknown time and place and that she died in 1834 and was buried at Smailholm.

For anyone wondering what my connection is, I am descended from the result of Hugh Stephenson's pre-marital fling with Alison Moffat of Melrose, i.e. their love-child Robert Stephenson (1805-63). So my interest in Jemima Whillans is purely academic.

I also however have Whillans relatives through the marriage of Jane Murray Stewart to George Whillans of Jedburgh. Jane's sister was my great-grandmother Martha Stewart, who married a grandson of Hugh Stephenson. So I was familiar with the surname Whillans, and I knew I had distant Whillans relatives in Canada, even before I discovered that my Hugh Stephenson had married a Whillans.

Harry

Harry

Offline Whillans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 20 July 09 07:33 BST (UK) »
Harry

My "Jemima Whillans b~1798" means that she was born about 1798, in this case it's not +/- 1 but quite a bit wider, say +/- 5;  in other words, I made an estimate.

There was something odd in this family as it hasn't fallen into place readily for us.

It had been previously hypothesised that Jemima Whillans (W-H0 b1795-1800, husband Hugh Stephenson) and Walter Whillans (W-H1 b~1809, wife Catherine Stephenson b~1807) were possible siblings in Hawick.  However, the story is far from neat.

Supposing Jemima's parents were:

Richard (hyp b15jun1783 Dent Yorkshire, c Sedbergh Yorkshire) and Katherine Stevenson (c Oct1779 Hawick, pa Walter Stevenson ma Janet Oliver), with Walter b03jan1809 Hawick known definitely to be their child, Richard & Katherine would have been 25yo & 29yo at Walter's birth which is fine.  Now Jemima's first child was b~1814 (26yo in 1841), so if her parents were Richard & Katherine, then it is tentatively hyp that Richard as a ~15yo teenager sired Jemima illegitimately just before the turn of the century, if to Katherine then she would probably have been ~19yo.

George Willan (b~1760) & Martha Burton, evidenced from the death certificate of Richard (b1783), then Jemima would have been Walter's aunt, ie Richard’s younger sister.  At this stage, while the dates seem more sensible, evidence is lacking.

Jemima made a point of not naming any of her chn after Richard & Katherine or George & Martha.  Funny that.  To date, she has beaten both Sonia, one of her descendants, and myself.

Frank Whillans.

PS: This thread has moved well away from Morebattle, but at least the Whillans is still prominent, mixed up with Stephenson.  Harry, can you link the above Stephensons  into the same family?

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 20 July 09 09:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that explanation. The Stevensons you mention in Hawick don't seem to be related to my Stephensons, who have connections with Alwinton in Northumberland, and various farms in East Lothian. The brothers William, Joseph (father of Hugh) and Thomas Stephenson were placed in farms in East Lothian by their father William Stephenson, a successful "store-farmer" in Roxburghshire who merited an obituary in the "Kelso Mail" when he died in 1807, allegedly aged 77.

His first wife's name is unknown, but that marriage would have been back in Northumberland somewhere. William's sons Thomas and Joseph married their respective wives at Alwinton in Coquetdale, near Rothbury. William's 2nd wife, according to his will, was a Margaret Smith, but I can't find a record of the marriage.

Harry

Offline morageckford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 15:25 BST (UK) »
As I'm directly involved in the publication of 'From Kelso to Kalamazoo', the life of George Taylor, I'm pleased to see that people are using it to trace their ancestors. He does use four different spellings of Whellans (he was in his eighties when he wrote the memoir!) but the editors took the decision to use the popular local name Whellans.
Poor Jane didn't have time to enjoy her life in America, she was married in Jan 1863 and died October that year. In his 60th year, George married, lost his son aged 19 in August (he drowned) and his wife and baby. Life was hard in those days.
George refers to her once as 'cousin' but I don't know how she was a cousin.
I'm not researching the family tree but I'm interested to see what peolpe like yourselves uncover!
Keep up the good work.

PS I have a photo of Grahamslaw where she worked but I think attaching it is beyond me!