Author Topic: WHELLANS family - Morebattle  (Read 32787 times)

Offline brina

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: WHELLANS family - Morebattle
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi to Monica and Frank,

Thank you to both for your help and advice.   I will try to PM you Frank with details I have discovered although it sounds to me as though you are much more advanced in your research than me.   

Monica, Your help has been invaluable.

Brina

Offline Whillans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 15 February 09 06:30 GMT (UK) »
Dear Brina

I have been looking at my records on your line of interest, and I do have quite extensive information for you, once you contact me directly.  The only item I didn't have was that Andrew Whellans b1836 had a middle name of Douglas - I had not gleaned this from any of my sources.  His father b1806 did however have Douglas as he was named Andrew Douglas Wh....

The 1841 data which Monica itemised earlier is correct:
   William Whelans 81, carrier
   Janet Whelans 60+, his second wife
   John Whelans 35+, teacher, William's son
   Janet Whelans 5, William's gdau & Andrew's niece
   Andrew Whelans 35+, day labourer, William's son
   Jane Whelans 39, Andrew's wife
   William Wheelans 11, Andrew's son
   Wilson Whelans 6, Andrew's son
   Andrew Whelans 4, Andrew's son
   Jane Whelans 3, Andrew's dau
I have placed a + on some ages, as the 1841 census usually listed the low end of five year brackets for adults, ie a 35yo and a 39yo would be listed as 35yo.

Frank Whillans, Melbourne Australia.

Offline brina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 15 February 09 13:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Frank,

I PM'd you the other day after adding to this topic.   It would appear that it did not work.   I will try again, obviously I must have been doing something wrong.   Sorry about that.

Thank you for this information, I had already looked at the census details.   The most interesting and helpful information you have supplied has been the different spellings and also the fact that William was married twice.   That has helped me enormously. 

Still trying to find out about the Douglas part, so far I can only get this back to 1806 for Andrew's middle  name.   I am supposing that it has come down his mother's line and am just about to download his birth details so there just might be something there.   

I am about to try to PM you now, please place a message on this site if you do not get it this time and I will try to find out what I am doing wrong.

Many thanks and best wishes.

Brina

Offline brina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 15 February 09 13:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Frank,

It is Brina here again.   I wonder if it is that you only have two posts that I cannot PM you.   Maybe if you post on this topic again it will work.   I am sure that Monica said that 3 posts were required before a PM was possible.

Brina

Offline brina

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 15 February 09 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Frank,

Thought that I would just ask you if you know what happened to Wilson Whellans and William Whellans who moved to Australia.   I do not have a definite date to give you but in their father's will (Andrew Douglas Whellans) of 1880 he mentions that they are both in Australia.   I know no more.   I have tried to find them on various Australian sites but cannot find any trace of them.   I have tried the various spellings and no luck.   He refers to them as his sons William and Wilson Whellans in his will.
William to receive one third of the proceeds of the sale of a property, his daughter Jane Whellans or Fox, currently living in America, to receive one third and the third for Wilson to be invested for him by the Trustees.   Why Wilson's was to be invested and not all paid to him like the others I do not know.

Any help gratefully received.

Brina

Offline Whillans

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 16 February 09 00:39 GMT (UK) »
Brina
Yes I do have a lot on William Whellans who migrated to Australia (he arrived on 24oct1853 in Australia on the 'Goldfinder'), and I used to be in contact with one of his descendants.  His family spelt their surname when they arrived as Wheelens. 
I did not know Wilson migrated also - little clues such as this help in locating links in one's data, so I'll look again with this new perspective.
Frank.
PS:  One of my email addresses is listed in my web-page, see earlier correspondence.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 14:17 BST (UK) »
This is not actually about the WHELLANS family of Morebattle, but as it is about WHILLANS/WHELLANS in Roxburghshire, perhaps it will be of interest to somebody.

A new book I have recently read, "From Kelso to Kalamazoo. The Life and Times of George Taylor 1803-1891" mentions two sisters called Jane and Charlotte "Wheelance"/"Wheelence"/"Whillence"/"Whilleans". There are four mentions of the surname, and each time the author George Taylor spells it differently. His autobiographical memoir was edited and published from a handwritten MS in the possession of descendants, and the editors - from the European Ethnological Research Centre in the National Museums of Scotland - have normalised the spelling to Whellans in square brackets in the body of the text, and in the index.

In 1862 Kelso native George Taylor came back to the old country from the States, and - being a widower by then - proposed to Jane Whillans, whom he obviously knew of old. He tells us she "had a good situation as housekeeper at Grahamslaw", and I checked this out in the 1861 census of Eckford parish. Jane was then 35, and claimed to be a native of Jedburgh. A "good situation" indeed - her employer Charles Cunningham, a farmer with 750 acres and 21 farm-workers - was only 18 years old!

Taylor also mentions visiting Lilliesleaf, where Jean "Whilleans" ' youngest sister Charlotte was married with a family.

I have not been able to identify which family of WHILLANS/WHELLANS Jane and Charlotte sprang from.

Harry

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 15:14 BST (UK) »
Hi Harry

The closest I can see for younger sister Charlotte in 1871 - but surname looks to be Turnbull from later birth regs for children in Lilliesleaf:

John Falla 34, Blacksmith (master Employing 1 Boy), b. Lilliesleaf
Charlotte Falla 33, b. Jedburgh
William Falla 6, b. England
Jane Falla 3, b. England

Address: Dunstan Hends House, Lilliesleaf

A hard family to find  ;) Can't see anything earlier for Charlotte (or Jean for that matter with a birth year c. 1826 ) in Scotland./Roxb. under Whe/i*

Monica

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 14 July 09 20:00 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Monica. Finding any member of the WHILLANS family is not made easier by the fact that the IGI regularly returns WILLIAMS matches!

My only connection to the surname is that my great-grandmother Martha Stewart from Hawick had a sister called Jane Murray Stewart who married a George WHILLANS from Jedburgh. That family has been well researched forwards and backwards.

And my 3 x great-grandfather Hugh Stephenson - after siring the illegitimate son I'm descended from - married a Jemima WHILLANS who is invisible in the records until she dies in 1834 and is buried at Smailholm.

Harry