Author Topic: HARCOMBE family in Peebles?  (Read 7552 times)

Offline akthompsn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
HARCOMBE family in Peebles?
« on: Saturday 07 February 09 15:36 GMT (UK) »
Greetings from across the pond!

I'm trying to locate the burial place of my wife's gg-grandmother, one Helen (Cumming) HARCOMBE, b. 5 Jan 1827, Black Hillocks, Banff., d.  27 May 1858, High Street,  Peebles (per SR 1858 Deaths District of Peebles, County of Peebles, p11.).  Burial place given as "Peebles Churchyard".  Is this the common burial ground for the city / county, or associated with some parish, or ???  Any information would be appreciated.
 Also -- trying to find birthplace for Helen's children,  wife's g-grandfather (John James HARCOMBE b. May 1848), his sister Ann (b. Nov 1846), and brother William (b. Apr 1853).  We had thought they were all born in Inverness, but now think they may have been born in Peebles.  Who would i contact for records?

Kenneth Thompson
 Moline Acres (north StLouis County) MO
 (near the confluence of the Missouri & Mississippi rivers)
Ancestral families of Richard & Daniel Thompson: Paternal: Thompson,Westrick,Wilhelm,Krieger,Spross,Laubenthal,Cotton,Bauer,Siefert,Hammes et al.   Nationalities: German, English.
Maternal: Fleming,Harcombe,Hammett,Saunders,Green,Coste,McKenna,Kane/Cain, et al.  Nationalities: Scottish, Irish, English, Spanish, Dutch

Offline terry h

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • With Mum x
    • View Profile
Re: HARCOMBE family in Peebles?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 February 09 14:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kenneth,

I think this may be Helen in 1851 Census

2 Glenalby Inn Inverness

James Harcombe age 32 Innkeeper born England
Helen Harcombe wife age 24 born Keith Banffshire
James Harcombe son age 2 born Inverness-shire

Is James your John James 1848 certainly the right age (the census would have been just before his 3rd birthday in May), as is Helen. Anne b 1846 may have died or not been in the house on the night of the 1851 census.

You do have the burial place for Helen it's just as it says Peebles Churchyard in the town of Peebles in the Scottish Borders where she died. Most people were buried in the church grounds at the time Helen died.

Someone from the area may be able to give your more information on the church.

Hope this helps

Terry
g grandfather Thomas Borthwick 11/11/1882 - KIA 25/9/1915 aged 33 Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Brothers & cousins to Thomas (Both KIA same day)
Robert Johnstone Borthwick 1898 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 21 North Staffordshire Regiment

George Lowden Borthwick 1899 - KIA 24/3/1918 aged 19 Royal Scots Fusiliers

gr Uncle Walter Combe b1893 - KIA 12/7/1915 aged 22  Kings Own Scottish Borderers

Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright  GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline akthompsn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 February 09 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Terry, and thank you very much!

Yes, that's the family, all right.  Evidently James Sr moved around a bit -- he was originally from Ditcheat, Somerset.  He later ran the Waverley Hotel, in Inverness.  Helen had one more child (William); James remarried after she died.

James Jr came to America, ran a few restaurants in the New York City area.
William came over also; he had a number of "mens' furnishings" stores in Wyoming and Utah.

Ken Thompson
Ancestral families of Richard & Daniel Thompson: Paternal: Thompson,Westrick,Wilhelm,Krieger,Spross,Laubenthal,Cotton,Bauer,Siefert,Hammes et al.   Nationalities: German, English.
Maternal: Fleming,Harcombe,Hammett,Saunders,Green,Coste,McKenna,Kane/Cain, et al.  Nationalities: Scottish, Irish, English, Spanish, Dutch

Offline Holm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 10 December 11 08:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kenneth ,
Interested in your link with Alexander Fleming and Elisabeth Gilmour .
I have been researching James Fleming b 22 Jun 1836 at Hamilton son of Alexander Fleming and Helen Haddow .
James married Jane Watson 1877 and they migrated to New Zealand before 1884.
My Adam  Fleming family from Dalserf and Stonehouse have a link somewhere which shows up with DNA test ,

Offline akthompsn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 10 December 11 21:37 GMT (UK) »
James born Knowetop, Hamilton, Lanark....?  He & Jane had  daughters Helen Dougall & Jane Watson?  That's about all i have -- any additional info would be GREATLY appreciated.

Offline Holm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 December 11 08:39 GMT (UK) »
 Kenneth  ,
Spoken to family of James and Jane Watson to get their ok to pass on information .
James Fleming d 2 Jun 1913 age 77  buried Old Winton Cemetery , Southland , NZ
Jane Watson , d 3 Apr 1916, age 70yrs ,
1 Helen Dougall Haddow Fleming , d 11 Jul 1961 age 82yrs
2 Jane Watson Fleming , d 18 Mar 1971 age 90 yrs
3 Christina Mary Fleming b 12 Aug 1882, Lanark , died 1 Jan  1904
4 Alexander Thomas Fleming , b 8 Jun 1884 , Winton , NZ
 died 30 Apr 1966 , Riverton , NZ
5 James Watson Fleming , b 22 May 1886, Winton , died 3 Sept 1902
6 John Andrew Fleming , b 22 May 1887, Winton ,died 10 Jun 1887 .
James , Jane ,(parents) Helen , Christina, James and John all buried in the Old Winton Cemetery
Jane and Alexander buried in East Winton Cemetery
My email is helen.hall at xtra dot co dot nz
Hope you are able to decipher that as I will be able to give you more on the family .
Are you connected to the William b 1819 or Thomas b 1829 that went to Nova Scotia ?
The family would be interested in having contact with you
Helen