Author Topic: Gilbert Family  (Read 3565 times)

Offline Loupy

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandmother Harriett
    • View Profile
Gilbert Family
« on: Sunday 08 February 09 14:52 GMT (UK) »
Good afternoon
Well, we thought we had our Gilbert family tree sorted back to 1610 but am now thrown into doubt upon the receipt of a copy of a will.

Help is required now to determine the father (parents) of

Abraham Gilbert b 1742 Hucking - he married Hester Graham b 1753 Doddington.  They had 12 children.    We had down that his father was Thomas Gilbert b 1700 Staplehurst d 1741 - married Martha Newman.

A copy of a will is now in my receipt which gives a Thomas Gilbert b c1708 d 1741 as being unmarried!!

Can anyone help me please as it seems strange, now looking at what information we have that Abraham would be born after Thomas died (possible I know that wife could have been pregnant)!!

Any help unravelling this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Loupy  :-\
Andrews (Suffolk); Arnold (Kent) Barnard (Norfolk/Cambridge); Gilbert (Kent); George (Kent); Pratt (Hunts/London); Jealous (Beds/Hunts); Mauldin (London); Wallis (Somerset/London/Suffolk);  Mortimore (Somerset); Wright (London)

Offline Siamese Girl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Gilbert Family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 16:33 GMT (UK) »
When was the will written as opposed to proved? It's possible that this Thomas might have married after he wrote his will and never got around to writing a new one.

Have you got Abraham's baptism? Also remember there can be some confusion over old/new style dates then.

Carole
CHILD Glos/London, BONUS London, DIMSDALE London, HODD and TUTT Sussex,  BONNER and PATTEN Essex, BOWLER and HOLLIER Oxfordshire, HUGH Lincolnshire, LEEDOM all.

Offline Loupy

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandmother Harriett
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 February 09 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello Carole - thank you for your response.

The Will was written by Thomas on 7 Dec 1741.  According to our records he married Martha Newman in 1721.  Abraham, their son, was christened April 1742 some twenty years after their marriage??!!! 

All so confusing to a novice!!  Is this Thomas Abraham's father or is there another Thomas Gilbert that I should be looking for????

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Loupy  ;D

Andrews (Suffolk); Arnold (Kent) Barnard (Norfolk/Cambridge); Gilbert (Kent); George (Kent); Pratt (Hunts/London); Jealous (Beds/Hunts); Mauldin (London); Wallis (Somerset/London/Suffolk);  Mortimore (Somerset); Wright (London)

Offline Simon G.

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 19:23 GMT (UK) »
This has got me intriguied, not least of all because Abraham is/was an ancestor of mine through his and Hester's daughter Mary Ann!  My initial thought is to enquire when the will was proved...it may have been written in 1741, but doesn't always follow that he died shortly after.
Currently engaging in a one-name study of the Twyman surname.

Golding, Twyman, Kennard, Wales (Kent).
Berks, Challinor (Staffordshire).
Wakely. (Glam & Monmouth).

Offline Loupy

• RootsChat Member
  • Grandmother Harriett
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 25 February 09 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi ya
Thanks for communication.  I have sent you a personal message - I have just realised that Martha and Mary Ann are one and the same person - I had them down as two!!  I have got information on Mary Ann marrying George Kennard and some info on the rest of their family but would appreciate more info.  See email!!!

I look forward to hearing from you.

Loupy

Offline Trunkybun1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 July 16 13:19 BST (UK) »
I have just discovered that my ggg grandmother was Amy Gilbert who married Edward Champion (sometimes listed as Champain). They married in 1801 at Doddington, Kent. I believe she was born in Leeds, Kent? Do you have her on your family tree? I have checked family search but cannot find her baptism and I am unaware of who her parents were. I think she was born 1781...
Champion, Offen, Sanders, Mercer, Edwards, Baker, Kemp, King, Bell - Kent
Richards, Dening, Zealley/Zeally - Dorset
Hills, Cottington, Osborn/e - Sussex
Faithfull - Hampshire

Offline sdbadger

• RootsChat Senior
  • Over there ... I will find them over there....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 03 September 17 18:34 BST (UK) »
Hi, Loupy and all.

If it helps, I have KENNARD in the 1800s in my tree. John KENNARD (1825 Sussex - ?) married Mary HEARNE (1822 Kent - ?) 1848 Lambeth, Surrey.

Mary was my g-g-aunt.
LUFF:  Illinois; Middx; Surrey; Berks
HEARNE:  Kent; Norfolk
HATHAWAY:  USA; Gloucestershire
OVENDEN:  Kent
WELLER:  Kent
SIMKINS:  Berks
WILLIAMS:  Bucks
CHARLEWOOD/CHARLWOOD:  Berks
HOPKINS: Gloucestershire
GILBERT: USA; Somersetshire
COCKS: Berks (?)