Author Topic: Harrop  (Read 56592 times)

Offline NBarrow

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Harrop
« Reply #72 on: Thursday 03 January 13 16:21 GMT (UK) »
SADDLEWORTH FAMILIES DNA PROJECT

Saddleworth Historical Society has established a Saddleworth Families DNA project with the aim of establishing a database for family history and other researchers.
The project will initially focus on the earliest Saddleworth surnames which are known locally from the 1642 Protestation return or earlier documents. These are still common not only in Saddleworth but in the adjacent areas of the South Pennines.  Many have well researched family trees. 
We are therefore keen to include other Societies and researchers. 

The project's database is located at

http://www.familytreedna.com/

in the Geographical projects section as Saddleworth, UK
http://www.familytreedna.com/public/saddleworthsurnames
Please add DNA profiles of these Saddleworth / South Pennine names to the database.

Tests are currently available at family tree DNA.

Updates on the Project will be posted to the blog:

saddleworthhistory.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Patricia Greber

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Harrop - Louis & Benjamin abt. 1800 Manchester
« Reply #73 on: Tuesday 20 January 15 03:50 GMT (UK) »
My Harrop family is Louis Harrop b. abt. 1800 in Manchester (according to family lore) England, he married in Anna Eliza Stickle in Pennsylvania, USA in 1836 and had a son Benjamin born there in 1837. His next 2 children were born in New York before he settled his family in Ontario, Canada.
Family stories say that Louis & his brother John went to Pennsylvania to build mills, but I don't have any proof of that story.
Lewis died in Ontario in 1861 and did not own but rented his land.
He had 3 sons - Benjamin, John & William and 2 daughters Elizabeth Ann & Mary. I have quite a bit of information on this family but I have not been able to find Louis' family in England.
Looking at the My Heritage site I see a James & Betty Harrop who had a son Benjamin in 1798 and Lewis in 1800 so I am wondering if this could possibly be the right family.
Is there anyone researching this family?
Dever, Melody, Jordan, Quigley, McMahon, McNamara, Loftus, Hodgins, McHugh, McGuinness, Cheatley - Ireland
Harrop, Murdie, Norton, Lee, Sharp - England
Jeffery, Stewart, Tipper - Scotland
Cudlipp