Author Topic: Killarney asylum  (Read 18803 times)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Killarney asylum
« Reply #18 on: Friday 13 February 09 16:51 GMT (UK) »
according to the Irish Times website (http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/records/directories/country.htm) there is a 1856 edition of Slaters.

It looks like there was a new edition published about every 10 years.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline gmggmg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 13 February 09 23:40 GMT (UK) »
Thanks very much for the tips, and for all your help on this.  I've got several clues to work on.

Offline gmggmg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 24 February 09 09:35 GMT (UK) »
Just for the record, I found the 1862 Kerry County and Borough Directory online here

http://www.libraryireland.com/articles/KerryDirectoryThom1862/index.php

It gives a lot of the same information as Slaters.   (No Rickards...)

Offline deeerdre

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 23 August 12 16:28 BST (UK) »
Hi gmggmg,
Just came across your posts last night - am also doing research on the Rickards as Matthias and Ann Nolan are my great great grandparents.  Their daughter, Kate (Catherine - born in 1855 in the Killarney asylum) married Denis McGillycuddy from Ballinilane Killarney county Kerry in 1892. They had 3 children - Abbie, Mary (my maternal grandmother) and Eugene.  I've also found an Elizabeth, Lucy who never married and moved to England, Christina who married Thomas Burke in Killarney on August 18th 1867 and Maria (Mary) who married John Garry in about 1891.  Also a James born in Killarney asylum in 1861 of Ann Nolan and Matthew Rickard but lots of missing pieces.   Have also found other info but I'm sure you've made lots of progress since 2009.  If you're still into research, we may be able to help each other!!!
Take care,
Deirdre

Offline gmggmg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 25 August 12 10:22 BST (UK) »
Hello Deirdre,

It appears that we are cousins.  Nice to meet you!

Matthias Rickard and Ann Nolan are also my great great grandparents.

I haven't done too much since 2009, so I'm sure you have a few things to tell me. It would be great to meet up sometime. I will send you a private message about that.

Thanks a lot for your post!

Gary

Offline kellyocallaghan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 23 October 14 13:43 BST (UK) »
I was wondering if someone may be able to assist me.  I am searching for a William Lowden of the Killarney Lunatic Asylum from around 1896 - died there in 1919.     I am wondering if he died there would he be buried on the grounds there.   Secondly, how do I obtain any medical information that may be there on him.   Any assistance in relation to this would be appreciated as I am researching from Australia :)    Many thanks in advance - Kelly.