Author Topic: Doug Smith 1918 - 1989  (Read 14129 times)

Offline mayday

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Doug Smith 1918 - 1989
« on: Monday 09 February 09 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Does anyone know where abouts  in Kent Dough Smith (jockey) was born. He also had a brother who was a jockey called Eph Smith 1915-1972. Have had a look on free bmd but birth could be one of many. I am interested where he came from and his address in 1930s and 1940s if anyone out there knows. I know he is related somehow and need to trace back to find connection. Any help much appreciated!

Kind Regards

Jacquie :-\
Reigate and any variations.Burnell,Woolley,Costello,O'Hay,Moran,Mundy.

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: Doug Smith 1918 - 1989
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 February 09 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jacquie

There is an autobiography: "Five Times Champion - the Autobiography of Doug Smith" by Peter Willett and Doug Smith (1986)
It's probably out of print but your local library may have it, and there's one for sale on a shopping website

Barbara  :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 February 09 14:30 GMT (UK) »
There is an obituary in "The Times" 14 Aug 1972 - to summarise:

Eric Eph SMITH - his father was a point to point rider who farmed at Shottesbrooke near Maidenhead (Berkshire).  Eric had two brothers, Charles & Douglas who were all born there.

http://freebmd.rootsweb.com - possibly Eric E SMITH birth registered June quarter 1915 Maidenhead registration district mother's maiden name ROWLES.  Douglas is there 1918 with mother's maiden name as ROWLS.

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mayday

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 February 09 14:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Thankyou very much for all your help,to both of your messages. The story goes that they are distant relatives on my grans side. At least I can now look back. I did actually manage to obtain the book 'Five Times Champion'. I think my mums eyesight is failing as she couldnt read the area where Doug Smith was born!

Thankyou once again.

Kind Regards

Jacquie :)
Reigate and any variations.Burnell,Woolley,Costello,O'Hay,Moran,Mundy.

Offline msfd

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 November 11 20:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jacquie,

I stumbled across this forum and yes i know you wrote it about 2 years ago.

However i may be able to help you.  Eph and Doug Smith were my Great Uncles.  Charlie was my Grandfather.

If you want to get in touch then please email me on here.

Hope to speak to you soon.

Thanks

Mark

Offline Iris ritchie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 11 August 13 19:25 BST (UK) »
Re doug smith. My mother was his cousin and a very close friend.she stayed often at his parents farm and took me many years later to visit his mum and brother Charlie.i met terry who was Charlie's son and would very much like to hear from any other relatives. Iris.

Offline sarah

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-Founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 09 September 13 10:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Iris,

Welcome to RootsChat and thanks for your postcard, will check to see that Jacqui and Marks email notifications are working ok.

Regards

Sarah :)
For Help on how to post an Image on RootsChat
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=459330.0

If you have been helped on RootsChat be sure to spread the word!

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cupidsarrow

• I am sorry but my email address is not working
  • RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 September 13 11:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Iris
Sorry havent replied earlier. My mother was told there was a connection with Doug and Eph Smith,the jockeys with I think 'Smiths' on mums side in Worcestershire/Shropshire area. Here is my email address email address removed by moderator please use private message system . I have a lot of information on mums side of family and perhaps can exchange and hopefully find a common link as have yet not found this. Hope Mark also gets back in touch.

Kind Regards

Jacquie

Offline Iris ritchie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 15 September 13 19:28 BST (UK) »
 Hi Jacqueline. I'm sorry I am still struggling to get to know how this all works. I would really like to hear more from you but as your email address was deleted I cannot get in touch with you using that. Maybe you know more of  Doug and Eph smiths children. I know Eph had a son called Robin who was studying in edinburgh to become a vet. He stayed sometimes at my grans here in Fife. Please reply if you get this. Kind regards Iris.