Author Topic: Need info on Ellen Eliza Clayton, 1853-1893, Leeds/Bramley  (Read 1390 times)

Offline 2ron2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Need info on Ellen Eliza Clayton, 1853-1893, Leeds/Bramley
« on: Monday 09 February 09 14:06 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out the lineage of my gg grandmother Ellen Eliza Clayton. She was born Jun Qtr 1853 in Scarborough, Yorkshire and died 7 Apr 1893 in Bramley West Yorkshire. Her first marriage was to William Roberts who dies before 1879. They were married in 1868 and had children: George Clayton, Elizabeth Ann, and Mary Ann. Ellen remarries 2nd William Darbyshire (my gg grandfather) on 3 Nov 1879. William was born 14 Dec 1856 and died after 1911.

I attained the marriage certificate for William and Ellen hoping to find out a name of her father. To my surprise, she lists her father as George Roberts, a mason. I believe this is her first husband William's father and in fact was her ex father-in-law. Ellen died leaving 6 children with William, and the two eldest girls, Sarah Ellen and Edith Amelia were eventually Bernardo Home Children and came to Canada in 1896. I have files from the Home of their time in the home and beginnings here in Canada. The records continue until they marry. Although I have had some success with the Darbyshire line, I am unable to find out more on Ellen at this point. Any info on her earlier years would be greatly appreciated.

Offline Tati

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Ephraim's daughter to infinity & beyond
    • View Profile
Re: Need info on Ellen Eliza Clayton, 1853-1893, Leeds/Bramley
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 February 09 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Just linking to the other thread to avoid duplication  :)
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,359676.0.html

"My dear, I think the English pronounce it 'appiness"  

I'm afraid of no ghost

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk