Author Topic: Thankyou Riddle family  (Read 10815 times)

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Thankyou Riddle family
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 01 July 12 23:34 BST (UK) »
I don't have certificates for any of these people - I tend to use church records where possible (they're cheaper!)

John was baptised in Longhorsley church on 22nd March 1822 - parents James Riddell and Ann Burn.  I have no records of any siblings but cannot remember now whether I looked for any.

Not sure about John's occupation - census 1851 I have him at the Brinkburn Arms - shown as Ag. Lab and Licencee

1861 - Ogle Arms Inn - Ag Lab and Victualler

1871 - apparently they've moved in with their son and he is simply an Ag. lab.

I've sent more detailed stuff by pm

Christine

Offline mish231

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 05 April 16 08:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Radcliff,

I am researching my Riddle family from Tynemouth, Nothumberland. I am looking for information about James Riddle and Mary Elliot. I believe they were married at Saint Nicholas,Newcastle Upon Tyne in 1826. James was a Master Mariner. They lived at Camden Lane in Tynemouth, North Shields until the 1850's. As far as I know they had the following children
Mary Elliot Riddle 1830–
James Riddle 1833–
John Riddle 1836–1871
Jane Elliot Riddle 1838–

Mary Elliot married William Wood a Customs Officer
James was also a Master Mariner and married Dorothy Dowson - lived in South Shields
John was a butcher and immigrate to Australia where he died in 1871
Jane Elliot married William Sinclair

I think there may have been more children seeing as James and Mary were married in 1826 and didn't have children until 1830 although James was a seaman so may have been away at sea the first years of their marriage. James Riddle sn died before 1851 as Mary was noted as being a widow in the 1851 Census when she was living with her daughter Mary Wood and son in law South Shields. Mary must have died before 1861 as I cant find her in the next census.

Perhaps there is some link to your family somewhere.

kind regards
Michelle 

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 11 April 16 21:11 BST (UK) »
There may be a connection
but I have only really concentrated on my own line,
starting back in Earsdon and New Hartley,
Thomas Riddle and Mary Potts,they did have a large family
later after 1800 coming down to Shields,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Lady Heather

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 01 April 17 06:12 BST (UK) »
Thomas Riddle was my 5th Great Grandfather, and Mary Potts my 5th GGmother. But I appear to have reached a dead end with Mary Potts. I'd love to know more about her ancestry, but being stuck in New Zealand, my options are limited.

Can anyone help me there please?

Much thanks all. :D

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 01 April 17 09:10 BST (UK) »
I visit Earsdon and Shields often
sadly the church records we need are missing Mary Potts does appear to be from around New Hartley or Dairy Houses and there are other Potts marrying and being baptised around the period of Thomas and Mary's marriage but without that important piece of record I can not lay claim to any of the Potts
I never assume a connection I like solid proof if I ever find it I will post it here
best wishes Gillian
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Lady Heather

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 03 April 17 10:17 BST (UK) »
I've got an account at Ancestry.com. My profile is Heather Lennox, and I'm investigating the Thompson family tree. There is some Riddle/Riddell's there.

My link: https://www.ancestry.com.au/connect/profile/

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 03 April 17 11:14 BST (UK) »
I visit Earsdon and Shields often
sadly the church records we need are missing Mary Potts does appear to be from around New Hartley or Dairy Houses and there are other Potts marrying and being baptised around the period of Thomas and Mary's marriage but without that important piece of record I can not lay claim to any of the Potts
I never assume a connection I like solid proof if I ever find it I will post it here
best wishes Gillian

Sorry for butting in - you say the church records are missing - does that also apply to the Bishop's Transcripts?  I haven't read all the thread so I may be jumping in with a "no-go" answer.  :o
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 03 April 17 16:48 BST (UK) »
Certain years are missing Bumble not all, but around the time of Thomas Riddle/Riddell.foy man mariner/waterman or Mary Potts births,assuming only after years of research that they were possibly born in the vicinity,if they were baptised at St Albans, this period is missing no one has any idea where they are if you look in the Bishops transcripts for Earsdon you will see the gaps,

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 03 April 17 16:54 BST (UK) »
It was only a thought  :'(  Some people do tend to either not know about, or forget, BTs.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY