Author Topic: Netherlands........SLUYTER  (Read 1848 times)

Offline woiiftm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Netherlands........SLUYTER
« on: Monday 09 February 09 23:30 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone give information on the origin of this surname ?
Married to a distant relation in 1936, living and dying in Aberdeen, Scotland,
though believed to have been born in Netherlands.
(full name, Petronella Hendrika Sluyter)

Many Thanks

Gordon

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Netherlands........SLUYTER
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 10 February 09 15:55 GMT (UK) »
http://www.genlias.nl/en/search.jsp
(However, unlikely to find the birth of someone who married in 1936 here, perhaps. Birth records are restricted access for 100 years. If you had her marriage certificate you might be able to spot her parents' marriage or something like that).

It seems the name could have originally been Sluijters.
 (as in http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jan_Sluyters)

http://www.edinburgh-gazette.co.uk/
shows in 1947 a Sluyter (Wilhelmus Hendrikus aka William Henry) from the Netherlands but residing in Aberdeenshire, in a list of those awarded certificates of naturalization.
Also in 1962 a Gerardes Johannes Sluyter (from the Netherlands, living in Aberdeen).

So perhaps there were other relatives who also came to the UK.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lynn Howarth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 21:43 BST (UK) »
Hi there, Petronella Hendrika Sluyter was my grandfathers sister! She was the youngest of nine children, my grandfathers name was Gerardes Johannes Sluyter and he was the middle of the seven boys the eldest daughter was called  they were born near Rotterdam Netherlands and the mother and father brought the four youngest over to Aberdeen as my great grandfather got a job working in a margarine factory along with my grandfather - think this was around 1915/16 ish. They lived in a house in Huntly Street in Aberdeen. Hendrick one of the younger brothers ended up in Buckie where he ran the local cinema with his son John who now lives in Apeldoorn Netherlands. Petronella (pet name Nelly) was at my wedding in 1980 along with my grandfather. I think she died a few years after that unsure exact date but she was a lovely lady who had a great sense of humour. Hope this helps in tracing your family! Kindest regards Lynn Howarth.

Offline Lynn Howarth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 September 12 21:47 BST (UK) »
Forgot to say I have a huge cache of old photographs showing the extended family going back to about 1890ish. They show the fsmily fchicken farm in Rijen near Tilburg east if Rotterdam. They are in fantastic condition considering the age and am happy to scan and send via email to anyone who is interested in tracing the Sluyter family!

Offline woiiftm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 13 September 12 18:23 BST (UK) »
Hello Lynn,

Thanks for getting in touch.

My link is through Petronella's husband, William Kemp who was my Great Grandfathers brother.
I would be very interested in any photo's you have of Petronella and her family at that time, particularly any you may have of her wedding.
I have no photo's at all of her husband William nor any of his relatives and would hope that wedding photographs may fill that gap

Do you know if they had any children ?

I'll send you my e-mail address in case you can help any further.

Thanks Again

Gordon

Offline grahamsprague

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

My name is Graham Sprague and my mothers maiden name is Maria Sluyter and her farther was called John Sluyter who used to run the cinema in Buckie. She has a brother called John who is living in Holland. I am one of 3 sons of Maria. Happy to converse with anyone if of any interest and would love to see some of those pictures please Lynn. I have a photo of a news clipping dd 29/07/1936 of Mr Johannes Nicholas Sluyter who lived in Huntley Street who died who was an employee at a Margarine factory and transferred from Holland to Aberdeen when it spread (no pun intended !) to Aberdeen, have other family pictures too  - Rgds Graham   

Offline grahamsprague

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 March 17 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

Apologies just noticed a typo in my reply. My Grand dad, and my mothers father, was Henry Sluyter not John, John is his son - apologies - you cant get the staff you know ! Rgds Graham