Author Topic: Hannah FORWARD - Hull  (Read 7020 times)

Offline treeve

• RootsChat Extra
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Hannah FORWARD - Hull
« on: Wednesday 21 April 04 20:50 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I am looking for Hannah FORWARD ( she may have used Anna ).
She was born in Pitminster Somerset, 1841. She lived in Salford
and moved with her  youngest sons ( Charles, George,
and perhaps Edward ) and appears in the 1901 Census in Kingston-upon-Hull.
Has anyone come across her or her sons? I would like to know
where she is buried - she is my great-grandmother.
Thank you
Best Wishes,
Raymond

Offline Kath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: TREEVE
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 31 October 04 19:23 GMT (UK) »
I am interested in your user name, TREEVE.
Why did you choose that, please?
Kath

Offline treeve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Hannah FORWARD - Hull
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 December 04 22:55 GMT (UK) »
I believe you asked me that one before on another forum -
I used to have an office in a historic house of that name - I am a retired architectural consultant ...

I wish I could find my Hannah ...

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Good job they all stayed in one place!!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 December 04 23:27 GMT (UK) »

Hi Treeve....in the 1891 census she was still single and living with her brother John....

John Forward 39 b somerset
        Elizabeth  Forward 39 b Somerset
        Laura           "          7  b Guildford
        Perceval                   6 b Guildford
        Ethel                         5 b Guildford
        nelly                       10 months b Guildford
and  Hannah  Forward sister 37 b somerset single

All living Stoke Surrey RG12/559
                                           Guildford
                                           vessel 6
                                           Folio 147
                                           Page 15
If you would like image of census send me your e-mail via personal message and i'll send to you. best wishes cheryle.f
mussellwhite, musselwhite,curtis, grey or gray,bundy,moody, lawrence  and now Webb   in wiltshire,hampshire and dorset.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.national archives.gov.uk

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 December 04 23:50 GMT (UK) »

Hi Treeve...i am so sorry...ive been sat at this computer now for hours and have just made a great big mess up!!!!! I,ve given you a Hannah who is not even yours.Shes out by at least 9 years. Please ignore and i will keep looking for you! Was your Hannah married and to who...it may help track her down.

regards cheryle.f
mussellwhite, musselwhite,curtis, grey or gray,bundy,moody, lawrence  and now Webb   in wiltshire,hampshire and dorset.

Offline treeve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 December 04 08:41 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks Cheryle,
It was my first throught, in view of the life she had experienced, that she may have returned to Somerset.
I already have John and Hannah, amongst others.
They are related to my Hannah. There were three strong family centres of Forwards in Somerset, and I have a belief that they were all related before my earliest records of c1700. I have tracked them all down and where they went, but my own great grandmother seems to have disappeared into the mist.
She was married to Isaac Forward of Pitminster, he died at sea, after leaving the family - arguments over money and hardships - the last I have of her is in the 1901 Census in Sculcoates, Hull, she was 60 - I found sons George and Charles in Great Grimsby, both of whom died in the Great War. My Grandfather Edward Forward was the only son to survive and he came to Penzance. If you would like the whole story, I can post that. The sort of plot Catherine Cookson would have been proud of!
Best Wishes

Offline treeve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 December 04 09:02 GMT (UK) »
I may as well post this as it may trigger some memories ...

"A successful young tailor, and his wife, both from Pitminster in Somerset, moves to Bristol and then on to Manchester ( to follow his successful cousins who had moved earlier ). He and his wife suffer the loss of two
young children, a son dies at 21 years, business fails due to competition and industrialisation, arguments rise, he leaves for America, the ships sinks and Isaac drowns ( The "Glamorgan" Built 1872. In Service 1879-1883 chartered from South Wales Atlantic Co.  2,411 tons. Sank 16 February 1883 - Liverpool to Boston. Loss of 7 lives ), his wife is left penniless, two younger children sent to the Workhouse ( including Edward, my grandfather ). Edward learns the cornet and plays in the band at the opening of the Manchester Ship Canal - he gets a half-crown and a pint of ale "from" Queen Victoria. The two daughters find husbands in Manchester. My great grandmother ( Hannah ) and her young sons ( George, Charles and Edward ) move to Kingston upon Hull, the two eldest marry locally. Charles and his family moved to Grimsby. Charles became a minesweeper deck hand on HMS Actaeon, during the Great War and died 14/11/1919 on the Steam Trawler "Theban" Age: 45 Son of the late Mr. and Mrs. Forward; husband of Emily Wilkinson (formerly Forward, nee Rowan), of Back 37, Kent St., Grimsby. His memorial is at Tower Hill, London, because he was lost at sea. Edward works on coastal boats, landing in Penzance
and meeting a Cornish girl, and they marry and have 10 children, one of which was my father. Edward joins the local Fire brigade; he signs up for the Royal Navy
in the Great War, suffers injuries as a result of which he returns to work in Penzance on the coal carts; he dies at the age of 47 as a result of his injuries and the effects
of the coal dust. This leaves my grandmother penniless and struggling ...."

Best Wishes, treeve

Offline cheryle.f

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 December 04 23:33 GMT (UK) »
 Hi Treeve....fantastic story and your very lucky to have so much info on your families life and all the struggles they went through...some of us only have names on paper and when you dont have any of this knowledge of how they lived etc. sometimes its hard to make any sort of connection even though you know they were your relatives. Anyway the good news  that  after the big boo boo i made last night i hope i've redeemed myself with this........

Hannah Forward died age 74 jan-mar 1915

Hastings 2b58

Hope with best wishes she is yours if you can make a connection with hastings and happy christmas

cheryle.f

Offline treeve

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 December 04 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much, Cheryle,

Considering that there were only three Hannah Forwards around in 1881, of that age, by a process of elimination, looking at the John Forward who died in Hastings in 1908 aged 72 ( Courtesy of FreeBMD ) and by trolling through my notes, I can confirm that the only three John Forwards of that age were not married to any Hannahs, I can also confirm that the other two Hannah Forwards have been eliminated from possiblity of being the one you describe. So, she is my great grandmother. Of course, I will get a copy of the Registry Entry just to be absolutely sure. My grandfather also sailed in boats between Penzance and South Coast ports, as well as London and Hull, so it may well be that he took her to Sussex, after all I doubt she would want to settle in either Salford or Hull after all she went through. A restful place to live, I am sure ...
Thank you again,
I'll let you know the outcome ...
Very Best Wishes for Christmas and the New Year

treeve     :D :) :D