Author Topic: ILLMAN FAMILY OF WORTH SUSSEX  (Read 25883 times)

Offline Dave Francis

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cornelius Fisk Goodwin (1880-1961)
    • View Profile
Re: ILLMAN FAMILY OF WORTH SUSSEX
« Reply #9 on: Friday 10 August 07 17:17 BST (UK) »
Possibly this one?

1901 Chiswick Middlesex
RG 13/1199 folio 127 page 35

3 Belmont Grove
Louisa Illman, head, wid, 60, charwoman, Parish N.K. London
William, son, 18, general labourer, Chiswick London
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames include: FRANCIS in Glamorgan / LANWORN in Monmouth / BLACKMAN, RUSSELL in Sussex / KEARSEY, BARLTROP in Essex / TOOKEY in Leicestershire / LASHMORE in London and Kent / GOODWIN, PASQUE, ATTOE, FISK, QUINTON, RUFFLES, CULLINGFORD and others in Suffolk / MAYOSS anywhere anytime! / GILMORE in Belfast

Offline Eilleen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • relax
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 10 August 07 17:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Dave, that one looks like a good possibility, well done, maybe one day someone will beable to claim him.   Eilleen.
EXTON, from Rutland, Stamford, Boston, Lincoln. LANES, from Coleby,to Bracebridge Lincoln.WAKEFIELD,PROUDMAN Cheshire and  Stafford.<br />PINDAR, MOORE, ,CHAMBERS mostly from Lincolnshire.
LAING from Elgin ,Scotland.
 HADDELSEY from Caistor,and Grimsby Lincolnshire.                   
 Parfitt, Le Gros ,Le Sueur, from Jersey.
Martin, from Doncaster  to whelyn garden city, London.
BINT, Worchester, in Australian mint.

Offline jeanharris

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 11 August 07 06:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Eilleen and Dave.
I think he may be conected to the Illman family from the Sussex/Surrey boarder.Its an uncommon surname and I think they came first from that area.

I have had a good look at my tree,but sorry to say again he is not mine.I just hope someone claims him.I would love to find more pics of my family.

Regards Jean.
Illman-Sussex,Surrey and Kent. Marsh -Kent. Pack -Kent. Rolfe- Kent.  McClelland -Londonderry, Harris- Norfolk. Oakey, Okey- Ely Camb. Mott -Suffolk. Twin- Essex,Topley- Kent,Filmer- Kent,Harvey- Kent.Ward Kent.

Offline Dave Francis

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Cornelius Fisk Goodwin (1880-1961)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 11 August 07 09:12 BST (UK) »
Hi again Jean.

I think you're right. The William Illman I found was the son of Henry and Louisa Illman. Henry Illman, a gardener, was born about 1845 in Reigate, Surrey. In 1891 the family were at the same address - 3 Belmont Grove, Chiswick. [RG 12/1034 folio 26 page 15]

Going back even further, Henry appears to have been the son of James and Ann Illman. In 1851 he was living with his parents in Reigate. James Illman, a blacksmith, was born about 1813 in Chipstead, Surrey. [HO 107/1599/1 folio 205 page 34]

So the William Illman in the picture seems to have been James's grandson.

Dave
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Surnames include: FRANCIS in Glamorgan / LANWORN in Monmouth / BLACKMAN, RUSSELL in Sussex / KEARSEY, BARLTROP in Essex / TOOKEY in Leicestershire / LASHMORE in London and Kent / GOODWIN, PASQUE, ATTOE, FISK, QUINTON, RUFFLES, CULLINGFORD and others in Suffolk / MAYOSS anywhere anytime! / GILMORE in Belfast

Offline jeanharris

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 11 August 07 11:40 BST (UK) »
Hi again Dave.
Thanks for the info.

My Illman's who came to Kent had a nursery in Strood Kent.It is known they sold plants and flowers to Charles Dickens.
The pic was taken c 1900.
         Regards Jean.
Illman-Sussex,Surrey and Kent. Marsh -Kent. Pack -Kent. Rolfe- Kent.  McClelland -Londonderry, Harris- Norfolk. Oakey, Okey- Ely Camb. Mott -Suffolk. Twin- Essex,Topley- Kent,Filmer- Kent,Harvey- Kent.Ward Kent.

Offline Eilleen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • relax
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 11 August 07 15:44 BST (UK) »
Jean, It maybe just me, but I can see a resemblance in your man on the right and the one I have, checkout the hand's.    Eilleen.
EXTON, from Rutland, Stamford, Boston, Lincoln. LANES, from Coleby,to Bracebridge Lincoln.WAKEFIELD,PROUDMAN Cheshire and  Stafford.<br />PINDAR, MOORE, ,CHAMBERS mostly from Lincolnshire.

Offline jeanharris

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 12 August 07 03:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Eilleen.

Maybe you are right!

Not sure who is on the photo.One must be my greatgrandfather Richard Illman and maybe the one on the right is William Rolfe Illman born 1870 Strood Kent,his son.
I knew my greatuncle Will he lived well into his 90's!

He could have been on a trip to London and had his pic taken?

Kind regards Jean.

Offline Eilleen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • relax
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 06 February 08 15:31 GMT (UK) »
Jean,
I'm trying to have a clear out, I really don't want to hang on to William, and he does look like the gentleman on the right of your pic,
I would love to give you the photo , at least he will be with someone with the family name, if you would like him as a present from one rootschat to another ,just PM me with an address I can send him to.

best wishes Eilleen.

Offline Eilleen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • relax
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 13 February 08 10:45 GMT (UK) »
Jean,
 I thought it would be nice to receive William  unannounced, :)
 he certainly had a faster journey than some of his name sake's did,
 I posted him  on Friday 8th Feb early afternoon. 
I know in the past , people who do not know me , have gone out of their way to help me in my family search, rootschat folk are a good example of this, their kindness is something I really am thankful for .
I am just chuffed that I found a home for William.

Eilleen.