Author Topic: "Laings" in Fife and beyond  (Read 115985 times)

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Laings" in Fife and beyond
« Reply #225 on: Tuesday 03 May 16 20:32 BST (UK) »
I'm surprised nobody has yet mentioned Eppie Laing the so-called witch in Anstruther in the 17th century who was burnt at the Billowness in West Anstruther.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=cEbyAwAAQBAJ&pg=PT103&lpg=PT103&dq=Eppie+Laing,+Anstruther+witch&source=bl&ots=XdrTk_bodm&sig=N6PwYodoW2sx8-Ax3YvKj37RHL4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi1uKPPzL7MAhUHmR4KHZGgAgAQ6AEIJjAC#v=onepage&q=Eppie%20Laing%2C%20Anstruther%20witch&f=false

Although Carnbee is an inland parish, it overlaps the former fishing villages of St. Monans, Pittenweem, Anstruther and Cellardyke, and some Carnbee men went to the fishing from these ports. On 20th August 1855 David Laing from Arncroach in the parish of Carnbee was one of the crew of the Cellardyke herring boat "Venus" when she was overturned in a gale, and while some of the men were drowned, others clung on for a full two hours before a St. Monans boat rescued them. The story is told by George Gourlay in his book "Fisher Life; or, Memorials of Cellardyke and the Fife Coast" (1879):

" ... Touching to tell poor Malcolm perished with the relief cheer ringing on the waters, and the youth, like a smitten blossom, was lifeless in his brother's arms, when he and David Laing were dragged through the surf by the life lines on board the friendly boat, which at once hastened, with all the speed that a contrary wind would admit, to Anstruther."

An old photo of one of the other survivors, the skipper's son Adam Reid, adorns the front cover of the book I wrote myself about Cellardyke in 1986. He was a cousin of my great-grandmother.

My father was in another "Venus" one night in 1934 when she was rammed by a trawler in fog off Scarborough and sank in four minutes, fortunately none of the crew being drowned. Maybe it wasn't the luckiest of boats' names.

Harry

It sounds as if David Laing lived to fish another day

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: Tuesday 03 May 16 21:52 BST (UK) »
I have a Thomas Laing that married a Catherine Duncan.

Their daughter Elizabeth (Eliza) Laing m. Wemyss, James on 03 Jan 1870 at Dysart
she died  25 Jul 1888. Witnesses were Charles Laing and Margaret Russell

Siblings were
?Laing
birth:   10 March 1858    WEMYSS, FIFE, SCOTLAND         

Colin Duncan Laing
birth:   15 March 1852   
christening:   15 April 1852   WEMYSS, FIFE, SCOTLAND   

Eliza Laing
birth:   16 April 1848   
christening:   21 May 1848   WEMYSS, FIFE, SCOTLAND   

Catharine Laing
birth:   19 October 1837   
christening:   29 November 1837   WEMYSS, FIFE, SCOTLAND   

Agnes Laing
birth:   9 April 1840   
christening:   19 April 1840   WEMYSS, FIFE, SCOTLAND   

Thomas Laing
birth:   23 May 1850   
christening:   8 July 1850   WEMYSS, FIFE, SCOTLAND   

James Laing
birth:   7 August 1842   
christening:   21 August 1842   WEMYSS, FIFE, SCOTLAND      

Charles Laing
birth:   27 August 1845   
christening:   12 October 1845   WEMYSS, FIFE, SCOTLAND   

my tree, mostly fife
http://jkl57.tribalpages.com/tribe/browse?userid=jkl57&view=23&pid=202&ver=118
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline whiteout7

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: Tuesday 03 May 16 22:13 BST (UK) »
Hi 'cousiins'

There's been a lot of local (Fife) press coverage recently about a WW2 tragedy that hit West Wemyss in 1941 and the forthcoming unveiling of a memorial to mark its 70th Anniversary next year ... http://www.thecourier.co.uk/Community/Heritage-and-History/article/4088/campaign-for-fitting-memorial-to-west-wemyss-wartime-tragedy.html

David Foster Laing, aged 69 when he died on January 23rd 1941.
He was the unmarried son of George Laing and Janet Foster who were married at Dysart Manse on 26th December 1865.
George Laing's parents were Robert Laing, Merchant Seaman, and Mary Murray.
Janet Foster's dad was David Foster, Coal Miner, mother was Elizabeth Fairful

Anyone connected with and/or able to add to this?

Regards

Chiad Fhear

I have a sneaking suspicion I am related very distantly to George Laing - parents were Robert Laing, Merchant Seaman, and Mary Murray. As I have both surnames in my tree from Wemyss. I also have Birrells and Wilkies as distant relatives.
Wemyss/Crombie/Laing/Blyth (West Wemyss)
Givens/Normand (Dysart)
Clark/Lister (Dysart)
Wilkinson/Simson (Kettle or Kettlehill)

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: Monday 22 August 16 21:05 BST (UK) »
Hi 'cousiins'

There's been a lot of local (Fife) press coverage recently about a WW2 tragedy that hit West Wemyss in 1941 and the forthcoming unveiling of a memorial to mark its 70th Anniversary next year ... http://www.thecourier.co.uk/Community/Heritage-and-History/article/4088/campaign-for-fitting-memorial-to-west-wemyss-wartime-tragedy.htmlI am also wondering if there is a connection, my william laidlaw married a elizabeth margaret laing her father was either james or robert laing, the records are uncertain.

David Foster Laing, aged 69 when he died on January 23rd 1941.
He was the unmarried son of George Laing and Janet Foster who were married at Dysart Manse on 26th December 1865.
George Laing's parents were Robert Laing, Merchant Seaman, and Mary Murray.
Janet Foster's dad was David Foster, Coal Miner, mother was Elizabeth Fairful

Anyone connected with and/or able to add to this?

Regards

Chiad Fhear

I have a sneaking suspicion I am related very distantly to George Laing - parents were Robert Laing, Merchant Seaman, and Mary Murray. As I have both surnames in my tree from Wemyss. I also have Birrells and Wilkies as distant relatives.
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: Monday 22 August 16 21:33 BST (UK) »
The likes of Paxo & Co on the BBC keep pronouncing Laing (psychologist) as Lang. Very irritating!

Skoosh.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: Wednesday 14 September 16 01:37 BST (UK) »
I'd be guilty of saying "Lang".   How is it correctly pronounced?

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: Wednesday 14 September 16 01:59 BST (UK) »
The ran in Span stays manly in the plan?
"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: Wednesday 14 September 16 10:01 BST (UK) »
@ Hurworth,  as it's spelled!  ;D

Skoosh.

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: Wednesday 14 September 16 17:10 BST (UK) »
     As "Skoosh" says, just as it's spelled, with 'ai' not 'a'.
     Seems half of Fife is descended from the "Fife Laings".
       John Laing (1740-1805) & Margaret Greig (1746-1819) are my 5x Great Grandparents.
       John Laing (1778-1848) & Ann Black (1775-1853) 4x.
       Thomas Laing (1807-1872 & *Isabel(la) Edmund/Edmond/Ednie (1807-1870) 3x.
       Isabella Laing (abt 1833-1911) & Alexander Wannan (1835-1918) 2x.
   *Isabel Edmund, daughter of David Edmund & Isabel Hayne, was born 26th bap. 30th Aug.1807 at St Andrews, Fife. Isabel, her brother David & sisters, Agnes, Janet & Christian, all swap between the surnames Edmond & Ednie. (Great fun to track!)
     Thomas Laing & Isabel Ednie married 1st Aug.1829 at Crail, Fife. ScotlandsPeople have wrongly transcribed Thomas' surname as Lainy (waiting for confirmation from SP that his surname is Laing). On the next page is the birth of John Laing, Son of Thomas Laing & Isabel Ednie, born 2nd, bap. 24th Oct.1829 at Crail. (Got the name right this time.) I've not found son John on any Census Returns etc. & he may be the John Laing who died 22nd July 1839 at Third Part, Kemback. Thomas Laing & Isabella Edna his Wife had a daughter baptized 1839 at Kemback.
               Regards,     Dod.
"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."