Author Topic: "Laings" in Fife and beyond  (Read 115562 times)

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Laings" in Fife and beyond
« Reply #234 on: Monday 26 September 16 22:43 BST (UK) »
wonder then if my elizabeth laing married to william laidlaw is part of this group her father was either john or james
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline mikest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: Sunday 16 July 17 14:00 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Sorry to resurrect this ancient thread, but just making myself known.  I am descended from a David Laing b 1873, who I am reasonably sure was one of David Laing/Christian Skinner's grandchildren.  This is a family that appears to feature in a few people's trees here.  David (1873) was son of another David Laing and Ann(e) Williamson.

Mike

Offline mikest

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: Sunday 16 July 17 14:20 BST (UK) »
...I also have Drummonds in my tree from the Largo/Largoward area.  This is another name that seems to have a lot of Laing links.

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: Sunday 16 July 17 14:32 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike

Welcome to RootsChat and thanks for your posts. If you look back the Thread you'll see it pops up every now and again so don't concern yourself about resurrecting it.

David and Christian were my maternal 2nd Great Grandparents - not that I even knew them  :D

David (1873) was married twice.  First to Euphemia Morris Brown on 1 Jan 1897 at Rumgally, Parish of Kemback, Fife.  She died on 7 Feb 1905 and David remarried Janet Miller Blyth on 26 Apr 1906 in the Baptist Church, Forth Street, Burntisland, Fife.

David and Euphemia had two children; David 4 Dec 1897 at Rumgally and Barbara Brown 16 Aug 1904 at Ballass, Cupar, Fife.  Barbara married George Stephen Drummond (no connection to my maternal Drummond/Laing line) on 18 Nov 1927 at Wester Radernie, Cameron, Fife.  As far a I know they only had one daughter Euphemia who married Francis Alexander Stirling on 24 Nov 1951 in Fallfield Bank, Kilconquhar, Fife.

If you have any further information please pass it on.  After a few more posts you can use the Personal Message system here which lets you share email address.  It's even easier then to pass on more information.

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: Sunday 16 July 17 15:11 BST (UK) »
her father was james laing but do not know much more than that about him Ithink that he started off as one thing,but i think he was intelligent to do article work as a clerk , maybe a bookbinder?though its so long gp since I researched this I cant remember cant say if tis is wrong or right
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: Sunday 16 July 17 17:41 BST (UK) »
Hi 'cousiins'

There's been a lot of local (Fife) press coverage recently about a WW2 tragedy that hit West Wemyss in 1941 and the forthcoming unveiling of a memorial to mark its 70th Anniversary next year ... http://www.thecourier.co.uk/Community/Heritage-and- I have a hogHistory/article/4088/campaign-for-fitting-memorial-to-west-wemyss-wartime-tragedy.htmlI am also wondering if there is a connection, my william laidlaw married a elizabeth margaret laing her father was either james or robert laing, the records are uncertain.

David Foster Laing, aged 69 when he died on January 23rd 1941.
He was the unmarried son of George Laing and Janet Foster who were married at Dysart Manse on 26th December 1865.
George Laing's parents were Robert Laing, Merchant Seaman, and Mary Murray.
Janet Foster's dad was David Foster, Coal Miner, mother was Elizabeth Fairful

Anyone connected with and/or able to add to this?

Regards

Chiad Fhear

I have a sneaking suspicion I am related very distantly to George Laing - parents were Robert Laing, Merchant Seaman, and Mary Murray. As I have both surnames in my tree from Wemyss. I also have Birrells and Wilkies as distant relatives.

I have johannes foster in my tree as well. no wondering whu they names their son william walker laidlaw where that comes into it down the line
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #240 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 13:58 BST (UK) »
The late footballer Davie Laing was born at Gateside in Fife. The Edinburgh papers are mourning him as a great player for Hearts, but in the west of Scotland they remember him playing for Clyde.

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/family-pay-tribute-clyde-legend-10827259

Harry

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: Wednesday 19 July 17 14:09 BST (UK) »
I think that margaret anne laings father was named james more tha that I cannot be sure, although I think he did bookbinding, but cannot be cerain its been a long time since i did any research on that branch of the family, williams ancestor was married to johhanes foster. ot joan foster
 searl rogers sutherland

Offline RavenclawDragonlord

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: Wednesday 19 August 20 22:57 BST (UK) »
Hi!

I'm a bit late to the show but oh well. Nothing new there.

David Laing (b. abt 1820 Kilrenny, Fife) and Christian Skinner (b. 24 SEP 1820 • Newburn, Fife, Scotland) are my 5th Great Grandparents through my maternal grandmother.

Now here is where it gets tricky:

David and Christian's son Thomas married Ann Mitchell and they had Archibald Mitchell Laing.
David and Christian's son John married Margaret Hamilton and they had Margaret Hamilton Laing.
Margaret Hamilton Laing had a son to Alexander Thomson. Then she married her cousin Archibald Mitchell Laing.

Their daughter Margaret Morris Hamilton Laing had a daughter and son to Fred Anderson. She later married John Waddell and had family to him. The daughter that she had with Fred Anderson, Margaret Laing, is my great gran who I knew well until she died in 2007 when I was still just a child.

Our family has a lot of stories, especially from grandparents. I'm hoping to someday soon record a lot of these stories so they don't become lost overtime.

It is good to know that quite a lot of David and Christian's other descendants are still in Fife.

Goodnight,

Leigh