Author Topic: "Laings" in Fife and beyond  (Read 115550 times)

Offline sheenie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "Laings" in Fife and beyond
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 28 February 09 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi all - I am a Laing from Fife (married to one).   My Laing line are from Carnbee and it would seem there is a connection to a branch of your Laings, Ostler i.e. my John Laing (married to Ann Black) and your David Laing (married to Ann Small) are brothers - if my research is correct as follows

John Laing (b 1740 Carnbee) m Margaret Greig (bc 1746 St.Andrews) 26/11/1773 Carnbee
Children:  Ann (b1775 Carnbee)
                John (b1778 Carnbee) m Ann Black (b1775 Carnbee) 3/6/1797 Carnbee
                David (b1780 Carnbee) m Ann Small
                James (b 1784 Carnbee)
                Thomas (b1788 Carnbee)

John Laing and Ann Black had 10 children - Ann, Barbara, Margaret Mackie, John (b1803 Carnbee m Margaret Ramsay b1804 Kilconquhar on 6/9/1823 Carnbee), Isabel, Thomas, David, James, Alexander and William

John Laing and Margaret Ramsay had 5 children - Andrew (b1825 Carnbee m Margaret Gay b1819 Arngask on 9/11/1849 St.Andrews), William, Thomas, Margaret and Alexander

Andrew Laing and Margaret Gay had 2 children - John (b 1854 Kennoway m Jane Birrell b1851 Newton of Falkland
on 18/2/1879 Newton of Falkland) and William (b1857 Scoonie)

John Laing and Jane Birrell had 3 children - Andrew (b1883 Falkland m Mary Ness b 1878 Falkland on 2/4/1908 Falkland), John Birrell (b1884 Falkland) and Annie Gay (b1886 Falkland).

Andrew Laing and Mary Ness emigrated to Canada in 1908 and had 5 sons who were all born in Toronto.  They returned to Fife, Scotland in 1924.    

Would be interested to know if there is any other connections to the above  from those of you researching Laings in Fife.

Sheenie
Fife: Radley/Harley/Brown/Cunningham/Rollo/Kinnear/Turpie
Fife: Laing/Ness/Birrell/Gay/Ramsay/Black/Greig/Storrar/Dowie
Angus/Forfar: Mathewson/Glass/Nicol/Main
Aberdeen: Mathewson/Cruickshank/Driscoll/Meston
Ross & Cromarty: MacKenzie/Gordon/Fraser
Nottinghamshire: Radley/Chevins/Shepherd

Offline ostler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 28 February 09 18:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi sheenie

Just wondering how you got the information about David Laing's (m Anne Small) parents? I've looked high and low for a death certificate but to no avail. I assumed he died before 1855 and that that was the end of it! I'm not doubting your research by any means, I hope you understand.

I very much look forward to your reply. :)

PS: Are you and your husband still in Fife?
All countries/counties
Kinnes, Ostler (and all variations!!)

Scotland
Caithness: Sutherland and Gunn (Latheron), Mowat (Olrig, Canisbay)
Fife: Fleming, Harley, Small, Laing, Malcolm
Angus/Forfarshire: Small, Laing (Dundee)
Perthshire: Runciman, Whittet, Paul, Small
Midlothian: Dudgeon, Sanderson (Tranent)

England
Gloucestershire: Edkins, Trowton/Troughton
Warwickshire: Bromley, Vickers, Hydon

Offline sheenie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 01 March 09 13:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ostler

Understand completely - sign of a good researcher.  Would agree that David Laing died pre 1855 and I have found the following info which I hope helps.

Working back -  Census 1841: David Laing (age 60) his wife Ann and son George were living in Arncroach, Parish of Carnbee therefore his birth date would be c1780.  According to the OPR  of Marriage both David Laing and Ann Small were of the Parish of Carnbee and their witnesses were Thomas Small and John Laing (which are usually the names of the bride and bridegroom's fathers but not always the case).   From SP I can find only one David Laing born in the Parish of Carnbee around this time i.e. David Laing 15/4/1780 to John Laing and Margaret Greig (GROS Data 413/0020 0194).  The birth prior to that was  in 1735 which can be discounted.   With other sources namely the Pre 1855 Fife Death Index; FFHS Publication No 20 which includes Carnbee Heads 1821 and 1831 I have been able to link up the abodes, some deaths of the Laing Family pre 1855 together with the census returns.

I have also received communications from other descendants of John and David Laing and the Genealogy Centre in St.Andrews who were doing research for one of my husband's 2nd cousins in Canada  and all of their info concurs with mine.

From the Pre 1855 Fife Death Index I found the following for a David Laing (ties in with the above info/dates so may or may not be the one we are looking for).   

Name: David Laing
Abode: Arncroach
Died:  23/11/1847
Aged: 67
Accidentally killed in Coal Fall at Balcormo
Source:  OPR 413-4

I note from one of your other postings you were looking for info for Alexander Harley from Monimail/Moonzie - my x2 Gt Grandfather is Alexander Harley b 1809 in Moonzie but he died in 1886 in Kingsbarns.    Both my husband and I are both Fifers and still here so if I can help in any way let me know.

Regards
Sheenie
Fife: Radley/Harley/Brown/Cunningham/Rollo/Kinnear/Turpie
Fife: Laing/Ness/Birrell/Gay/Ramsay/Black/Greig/Storrar/Dowie
Angus/Forfar: Mathewson/Glass/Nicol/Main
Aberdeen: Mathewson/Cruickshank/Driscoll/Meston
Ross & Cromarty: MacKenzie/Gordon/Fraser
Nottinghamshire: Radley/Chevins/Shepherd

Offline DDJJake

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 01 March 09 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi ...just noticed this LAING discussion,

I have two lots in Fife ... but a very extensive line in Larbert/Falkirk area
Here are the Fife links ....
Dysart LAINGs

First Generation
1.   James LAING .
James married Ann WILSON  on 22 Oct 1857 in Dysart, Fife, Scotland.
They had the following children:
+   2   M   i.   James LAING [Iron Turner]  was born on 04 Aug 1867.
Second Generation
2.   James LAING [Iron Turner]  (James) was born on 04 Aug 1867 in Wemyss, Fife, Scotland.
James married Euphemia Lindsay SHORT  daughter of John SHORT [Linen Weaver] and Elizabeth LINDSAY on 15 Jun 1888 in Dysart, Fife, Scotland. Euphemia was born on 17 Aug 1869 in Kennoway, Fife, Scotland. She died on 19 May 1953 in 114 Commercial St., Kirkcaldy, Scotland.
3   F   i.   Elizabeth LAING  was born in 1890 in Dysart, Fife, Scotland.
4   F   ii.   Annie Wilson LAING  was born on 18 Apr 1892 in Dysart, Fife, Scotland. She died in 1972 in South Leith, Midlothian, Scotland.
Annie married John Gilroy GRAHAM  on 04 Mar 1921 in Kirkcaldy, Fife, Scotland. John was born on 08 Jan 1895 in Burntisland, Fife, Scotland. He died in 1953 in Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland.

Dunshelt LAINGs
First Generation
1.   James LAING [Handloom Weaver]  was born in 1817/1818 in Falkland, Fife, Scotland .
James married Agnes OLIPHANT . Agnes was born in 1811/1812 in Kettle, Fife, Scotland.
2   F   i.   Agnes LAING  was born in 1838/1839 in Dunshelt, Auchtermuchty, Fife, Scotland.
3   F   ii.   Jean LAING  was born in 1841/1842 in Dunshelt, Auchtermuchty, Fife, Scotland.
+4   F   iii.   Elizabeth LAING  was born in 1845. She died on 26 Feb 1910.
5   M   iv.   William LAING  was born in 1846/1847 in Dunshelt, Auchtermuchty, Fife, Scotland.
6   F   v.   Mary LAING  was born in 1849/1850 in Dunshelt, Auchtermuchty, Fife, Scotland.
Second Generation
4.   Elizabeth LAING  (James) was born in 1845 in Dunshelt, Auchtermuchty, Fife, Scotland. She died on 26 Feb 1910 in Newton of Falkland, Fife, Scotland.  The cause of death was Heart Disease Dropsy.
Elizabeth married George INNES [Ploughman]  son of George INNES [Gardener] and Mary BROWN on 08 Jan 1869 in Falkland, Fife, Scotland. George was born in 1848 in Kirkgate, Cupar, Fife, Scotland. He died on 03 Nov 1924 in Newton of Falkland, Fife, Scotland.
7   F   i.   Agnes INNES [Handloom Weaver]  was born on 15 Oct 1869 in Falkland, Fife, Scotland .
8   M   ii.   George INNES [Ploughman]  was born in 1876 in Falkland, Fife, Scotland.
George married Hannah Thomson BRUCE  daughter of Alexander BRUCE and Christina LAMBERT on 30 Sep 1898 in Star Parish, Kennoway, Fife, Scotland. Hannah was born on 03 Feb 1872 in Kennoway, Fife, Scotland.

Aye
DDJJAKE
Auchmutie, Ingles, Henderson, Fife, Patrick, Moffat, Collier, Hunter, McLeod, Cassells  in Fife
Henderson, Nicoll, Baxter, Hill in Angus, Nicoll in California USA, Australia
Henderson Cuthbert, Hendry in Perth, and NY State
Telfer, Walker, Rennie, Maclaren in Falkirk, Glasgow, Paisley, USA, Australia, NZ
Rennie in Winnipeg
Richardson in Lochmaben, Dumfries
Kerr in Midlothian, Stirling, Illinois, Ontario, Manitoba
Waddel in West Lothian, Ohio
McMillan in Argyll

Offline ostler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 01 March 09 21:27 GMT (UK) »
Sounds like pretty conclusive evidence to me, sheenie! Would love to get in touch about Harleys as well!

I am also a Fifer, so perhaps we could meet up sometime.
All countries/counties

Scotland

England

Offline ostler

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 01 March 09 22:31 GMT (UK) »
I must ask, have you managed to get any further back than John Laing b1740? A quick glance at the IGI shows a couple of possibilities for his baptism. Especially John LAYNG b 18 Jan 1742, bap 24 Jan 1742 in Kilmany, son of Thomas Layng and Isabel Barklo (Barclay??).
All countries/counties

Scotland

England

Offline Evelina

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 08:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi DDJJake
I started this thread but so far i have not been lucky enough to find any LAING's related to mine but i am really glad to see others are matching up.

However you mention a Larbet/Falkirk connection.  As I said in the 1st post I have James Laing married to Christian Campbell in Larbert, Stirling in 1783. His parents possibly Thomas Laing & Margaret Russall who married in 1752 in Denny.

If they are mine Thomas & Margaret had 9 children in Denny, do any of them tie into yours? Peter 1753, James 1755, Lachlane 1757, Peter 1758, Margaret 1760, Alexander 1762, Isobel 1765, Thomas 1767 & David 1772?  Cheers Evelina
Porter & Chalmers - Perthshire, Laing - West Fife, Stirrat - Glasgow, Ferguson - Glasgow & Skye, Coulter & Wilson - Northern Ireland, Kean - Glasgow & Northern Ireland. Ferrier - Perthshire. Lawton - Church Lawton, Cheshire.  McClure/McLure - Coatbridge

Offline DDJJake

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 03 March 09 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Evelina ... no links to my 2 Laing lines of Larbert and Carronshore ... then Falkirk in 20th Century ... including the Barbara Laing who was mother of George Mitchell, Conductor of the famous TV and Stage, 'Black and White Minstrels'!
Aye
DDJJAKE
Auchmutie, Ingles, Henderson, Fife, Patrick, Moffat, Collier, Hunter, McLeod, Cassells  in Fife
Henderson, Nicoll, Baxter, Hill in Angus, Nicoll in California USA, Australia
Henderson Cuthbert, Hendry in Perth, and NY State
Telfer, Walker, Rennie, Maclaren in Falkirk, Glasgow, Paisley, USA, Australia, NZ
Rennie in Winnipeg
Richardson in Lochmaben, Dumfries
Kerr in Midlothian, Stirling, Illinois, Ontario, Manitoba
Waddel in West Lothian, Ohio
McMillan in Argyll

Offline Evelina

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 04 March 09 07:41 GMT (UK) »
Ok thanks DDJJAKE I will keep looking, Cheers Evelina
Porter & Chalmers - Perthshire, Laing - West Fife, Stirrat - Glasgow, Ferguson - Glasgow & Skye, Coulter & Wilson - Northern Ireland, Kean - Glasgow & Northern Ireland. Ferrier - Perthshire. Lawton - Church Lawton, Cheshire.  McClure/McLure - Coatbridge