Author Topic: "Laings" in Fife and beyond  (Read 116021 times)

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
Re: "Laings" in Fife and beyond
« Reply #180 on: Friday 05 November 10 12:58 GMT (UK) »
... I wonder if any of you have laing married to Smart, Cumming or Reid in the 1880-1900's ...Evelina

Hi Evelina

I've a folder of Laings in the 'pendiing tray' for now as I've still to make a connection.

In it is JAMES LAING b. 3 Nov 1874 at Cameron, Fife, married to JANET RITCHIE SMART b. abt. 1877 at Dysart, Fife.  James's parents were David and Janet (m.s. Arnot) married 30 Oct 1857 at Kinglassie, Fife and Janet's were John Smart and Jean Ritchie married 4 Jun 1859 at Markinch.

Any help?

Regards

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: Friday 05 November 10 13:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi all ... just bringing this up the tree a bit as I've now found out that who I thought was 'ARNOT LAING' was in fact 'JANET ARNOT SMART LAING'.  It was the SP search that threw me having recognized 'ARNOT' as one of her names.

Hi again all you Laing 'cousins' out there in the Kingdom!

I have a more current Laing that I need a wee bit of background on to determine if she's linked to my tree before I go spending any more of my genealogy budget .

JANET ARNOT SMART LAING born in Cameron Parish, Fife in 1913 died in St Andrews, Fife 2000.  I have her marriage in 1942 and know she had two sons.

If anyone has a connection to Arnot could they help?  Given how recent this is I'd be happy to deal via PMs.

Regards

Chiad Fhear

Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: Friday 05 November 10 15:37 GMT (UK) »
Still have not found my Margaret Laings parents.
She was married to William Laidlaw in Edinburgh mid/late 1800's

They had a son William Walker Laidlaw who died on their anniversary at a year old, I find that very sad.
marcie
Scotlandorkney flett bell, strickland laird traillcalqahoun.
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: Saturday 06 November 10 12:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi 'cousiins'

There's been a lot of local (Fife) press coverage recently about a WW2 tragedy that hit West Wemyss in 1941 and the forthcoming unveiling of a memorial to mark its 70th Anniversary next year ... http://www.thecourier.co.uk/Community/Heritage-and-History/article/4088/campaign-for-fitting-memorial-to-west-wemyss-wartime-tragedy.html

David Foster Laing, aged 69 when he died on January 23rd 1941.
He was the unmarried son of George Laing and Janet Foster who were married at Dysart Manse on 26th December 1865.
George Laing's parents were Robert Laing, Merchant Seaman, and Mary Murray.
Janet Foster's dad was David Foster, Coal Miner, mother was Elizabeth Fairful

Anyone connected with and/or able to add to this?

Regards

Chiad Fhear

Offline brushwood7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: Thursday 25 November 10 19:46 GMT (UK) »
hello to all my mother was agnes steele laing born in johnstone renfrewshire in 1923,her father was john laing and her mother was agnes mcadam auld does anyone out there have any information about this family kind regards to everyone.

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi again 'cousins'

I'm needing some help with the photograph attached.

In the front row, left, is Robert Hynd Laing (b. Burntisland 1900 - d. Ontario 1968) and also in the front row, right, his brother Alexander Laing (b. Auchtermuchty 1913 - d. Lauder, Berwickshire 1966).  I'd like to find out if the chap in the middle front is their brother Drummond Laing (born Glentarkie, Abernethy 1906) and if anyone can help with more about him.  I'd also like to find out who the men are in the back row of the picture.  The chap in the back right may be called Jock Fernie.

Not much to go on, but I feel sure there'll be something comes from this!

Regards

Chiad Fhear

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 18:54 GMT (UK) »
I found whilst researching my family amarriage in Renfrew for an Agnes Laing
Thought you might be interested
Lanark/Argyll/Renfrew/Ayr:Smith, Steele,Kirkwood,Hamilton,May,orO'mayscott and anderso, craig , forbes taggart Kirkwood, milloy and steel apart ftom others which are numerous, graham mcilroy. stewart.brown battonisle of sku rothsay etc.
 searl rogers sutherland
Edinburgh/Aberdeen:portsea marsh,brownwhittcomb and others. to numerous to mentionweymouth frank.  Laidlaw,Brown,Dean//Charles/Hall/Slight/Johnston belgium loquet

Offline brushwood7

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: Tuesday 30 November 10 20:46 GMT (UK) »
thankyou very much yes agnes steele laing was my mother and she married a james arthur baillie in paisley in 1944 thanking for passing this on to me kind regards jane

Offline marcie dean

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: Wednesday 01 December 10 00:36 GMT (UK) »
See what I can find.
 searl rogers sutherland