Author Topic: Austerfield Murder 1828  (Read 12357 times)

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Austerfield Murder 1828
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 28 February 09 22:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ian & everyone....

How about this marriage at Blyth?

Marriage at Blyth – 5th February 1782
JOHN DYON & SARAH SPENCER

Sheila.

Offline Goofy

• RootsChat Member
  • If I keep looking I'm sure I'll find something!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 01 March 09 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian

As a member of the Doncaster FHS we get a quarterly magazine called The Doncaster Ancestor, which came through the post yesterday morning.  I was sat reading it this morning over breakfast and low and behold on page 24 was an article called "1820's Doncaster - When Violence and Murder Were Rife!  Murder of Mr John Dyon".   :o  Weird coincidence!!  Anyway, its a report from the Doncaster Herald dated 25.02.1828.  I will send you a PM as I still haven't figured out how to post pictures on here properly.   ::)

Good find Sheila & Deb, although I think Sheila may be closer to the mark.  Blythe and Finningley are both very close to Austerfield.  There are also a lot of Dyons in Lincolnshire and I seem to remember reading somewhere that William lived at Morton Carr which is in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire (a bit of a hike on foot but not too far away).

Goofy
Bell - Newcastle/Northumberland
Hansford - Dorset/Somerset/Isle of Man/Jersey/USA
Lawton - Newcastle/Canada
Leaning - Brigg/Humberside/New Zealand
Price - Wales/Lancashire/USA
Shirt - Doncaster
Wilson - Brigg/Humberside

Offline austerfield1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Monday 16 March 09 21:50 GMT (UK) »
To all on this theme,

I run the environmental education centre in Austerfield and have done an amount of research on this subject.
The murder took place over the evening period as Dyon was returning home from the markets in Doncaster. His brother and nephew had made an abortive attempt to murder him the previous week, but he had failed to go to the market due to ill health. ( trial transcript which i have full copy of)

They had therefore left their guns in the barns at Partridge Hill Farm, a property at the beginning of a series of gateways leading to Brancroft Farm, for the week, returning the following week to lay in wait for his return.

If you use google maps to look for Austerfield, Brancroft still exists to the south east of Doncaster Sheffield Airport runway on the edge of the Finningley Road, with Partridge Hill to the south of the runway. Unfortunately, the tarck with the gateways no longer exists as its under the runway. Dyon House Farm and Dyon cottage have no known ownership link with the Dyon family, but I will check with the 1765 enclosure map to see what land they owned at that period. It is probably more likely that they were named as such as part of a moral tale with a warning for the outcome of greed. The trial transcript indicates the brothers gained wealth from their father and whilst one made more from his wealth the other was profligate and spent his apportioned amount. The death of his brother and some inheritence from it was indicated as the motive in the trial.

I have photos of the two dyon named properties at work and will attach them to another mailing. I also have the parish records for baptisms, marriages and burials as part of a transcription programme i did for the local fhs and will check those. There is not a headstone in the graveyard for this family,as there are a large number of plots without any markers. Although the parish is physically in Yorkshire it is part of the diocese of Southwell and as such its parish records are held in the Nottingham Archives.

Austerfield1

Offline ian55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 10:41 GMT (UK) »
Dear Austerfield1,

Thanks very much for your contribution. I did wonder if Dyon House Farm and Dyon Cottage might have belonged to John Dyon Snr. c1750-1833 (the father of the murder victim and the murderer).

In his Will John Dyon Snr is described as a Yeoman of Austerfield and it goes on to mention Real Estate in Austerfield and Misson. The trial transcript I have read does not mention the father living at Brancroft so I am guessing he lived elsewhere in Austerfield. 

Ian55

Offline deb usa

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 13:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ian & everyone....

How about this marriage at Blyth?

Marriage at Blyth – 5th February 1782
JOHN DYON & SARAH SPENCER

Sheila.

hi everyone ... and welcome to Rootschat Austerfield1

re; The above marriage;

I found this on National Archives which may relate;

Deeds relating to a farm and closes at Austerfield which was bought by John Dyon in 1813  CM/2151-2205  1713-1825
(Sheffield Archives)

Contents:
The property was freehold and copyhold and there are copies of the court roll of Austerfield. Some of the property was Hoyland's and some was Spencer's. It was acquired by Littlewood, descended to John Row by inheritance, and was sold by him to Dyon for £1,720. Copies of wills of John Littlewood (1791) and of Robert Spencer (1779).

deb
Travellers = Penfold, Orchard, James
Devon = Middleton,  Waterfield, Adams, Clark/e, Gould
Cornwall = Palmer, Carnarton, Slack/Smith. Morris/h
Wales, New Quay = James, Evans

All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline austerfield1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the welcome,

Further information - the 1765 Enclosure map shows no Dyon's as farming landowners at Austerfield. The land where Brancroft is was shown as belonging to George Peck Esq. and part of the ancient enclosure of John Harvey Esq.

The sale to John Dyon of 1812 would seem to match the family moving into Austerfield, so perhaps a look at Misson records (2 miles away from Austerfield) might reveal other ownership.

I also think the Dyson line you have been following might be a different family altogether.

So records as such:

1841 census Austerfield

Betty Dyon age 45 jacket Maker
Mary age 15
Matilda aged 10

They had a habit of rounding to 5 and 10 with this census.

Baptisms

Diyion - 15th September 1782 WILLIAM son of John and Sarah Diyion (murderer)
Diyon - 21 June 1784 JOHN son of John and Sarah Diyon (victim)

14 July 1805  JOHN son of William and Sarah Dyon (murderers in this case)

22 February 1818 ELIZABETH daughter of John and Betty Dyon
2 January 1820 JOHN son of John and Betty Dyon
8 April 1824 MARY daughter of John and Betty Dyon
22 December 1825 MATILDA daughter of John and Betty Dyon

MARRIAGES

25 March 1805 William Dyon and Sarah Senthouse

BURIALS

Betty wife of John Dyon 4th October 1859 aged 70 from Bawtry

John Dyon 25 February 1828 aged 43 -- murdered - shot

John Dyon 3 March 1820 aged 2 months

John Dyon 14 April 1833 aged 83

Sarah Dyon 22 November 1805 aged 66

Although this is about the 1828 murder did you know Austerfield has other claims to fame. Most know about William Bradford(Pilgrim Father), but did you know that Austerfield was the site of the 702AD synod that set the present way of calculating Easter --- or that the ancient Britains (coritani tribe) fought the Romans and won on the plains of Austerfield ---- or that in 616AD  Edwin with the help of Raedwald ( warrior king of East Anglia and the face of the Sutton Hoo mask) defeated the King of Northumbria in battle for Edwin to reclaim his Northumbrian crown and  throne.

Am attaching photos of the two Dyon named properties.

AUSTERFIELD1

Offline ian55

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Tuesday 17 March 09 16:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Austerfield1,

Thanks for posting the great photos. It is also reassuring to know that Austerfield has other claims to fame.

Your finding in the 1841 Census is right as the eldest of the three daughters Elizabeth had already married and left home by then. However, I think Betty's occupation reads "Ind. M." meaning she was of Independent Means. There is an enumerator's stroke through the "d" which confuses things.

Quite apart from her murdered husband's estate she was also receiving the income from her father-in-law's estate to pay for the maintenance education and support of her three daughters until they each became 21 at which time they each inherited a one third share.

Ian55

Offline GigiDyon

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 25 November 17 01:04 GMT (UK) »
This conversation is fascinating.  I believe I'm a descendent of William Dyon (murderer) via another of his sons George Dyon.  I believe both he and his mother Sarah Senthouse immigrated to Canada sometime after the execution of William and John.  I can appreciate why they would want to flee the country!  They first appear in the 1851 census of Canada West, Lennox and Addington.

George Dyon later immigrates to the U.S. (Chicago) and names two of his sons William and John, so perhaps he thought they were innocent?  I have attached the ballad of William Dyon (a broadside) in case anyone is interested.

Can you tell me which parish you find the burial of John Diyon (the father of William murderer)?  I would like to try to take my family tree back further if I can.  Many thanks!