Author Topic: Search for father  (Read 5551 times)

Offline joygee

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Search for father
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 14 February 09 23:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you krisesjoint,  Both for your welcome and the information. Yes my Mum was very young at the time and I expect extremely hurt by what had happened. I was left with my G,Mother while Mum went to work away from her home town, and didn't return until I was 10 years old.  By this time she refused to talk about it and it wasn't until after she passed away I decided to try and find out about my Dad.
My first stop was to the archives to search the divorce where I found a copy of the marriage certificate and to learn that the little she DID tell me was not true.
 Ronald Larry Lane signed his name on the marriage document as R. Lane, so he may not have used his full name to sign on for work on ships. I found one R Lane on Dundrum Castle, as a donkeyman, entering New York in 1936, it MAY be him. The date certainly fits.
All but one person who knew him have now passed away and the one that is still living (my Mum's brother) is in his late 80's and although his memory is quite good, I think he has told me all that he knows.
Another item on the divorce papers is that he had a sister Mrs. Armstrong residing in Halley Street Five Dock, Sydney. During the year of 1944 she went to every house in that street and was unable to find any trace of Mrs. Armstrong,  living there or having lived there in 1935.
I had almost given up my search when a neighbour told me about this site. I find it utterly amazing that there are so many people ot there, unknown to me, who are willing to help. Thank you, I really do appreciate it.
Cheers Joy.
PS another very strange thing, in the divorce she listed me, the child of the marriage, as Evelyn !
Her middle name, which is not part of my name at all.

Offline joygee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 14 February 09 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks tropicalj, Yes I do have a copy of the marriage certificate

Offline krisesjoint

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Its my Party - I can eat cake
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 14 February 09 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joy,

How lovely that your neighbour has sent you to us.  ;D

Very sad indeed. I am sure it must have been a very hard time.  :'( but such a pity mum was unable to share any information with you. My mum had a very hard young life in England and was unable to share a lot of it preferring to "forget it and move on" Tracking her family has been a nightmare - ongoing. Her life in Australia started when she arrived in Pirie after the war and took up a nursing position at the Pt Pirie Hospital. Herself and her friend took up the chance of a new life in Australia and a severe shortage of nurses. Incidentally her friend married and remained in Pirie.

I see a record of Ronald LANE arriving in New York 3 Apr 1936. The record states he joined the ship in London 14 Mar 1836, and had had 2 years at sea, Was British aged 32, 5'10, 171 lb and had no distinguishing marks. He  is aboard the Dundrum Castle and is a fireman and trimmer.

All of the other records I looked at give Ronald James LANE long years at sea - must have been at sea since he was a boy. This one only gives 2 years which is more in line with known facts. (in his second year maybe) Still I guess he could have been a mariner before mum met him and even jumped ship in Oz for all we know so I haven't ruled it out. This Durham Castle one is taller and heavier than the other records so maybe there really are two Ronald Lanes who were ships firemen.  :-\  Still keen to see who Ronald James father is when it becomes available.

Cheers Kris  :)

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline regross

• RIP 16th November 2012
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • paper doll fashionista
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 15 February 09 00:24 GMT (UK) »
Joygee,

How young were you when you were left with your garndmother? She may have called you Joy  in celeberation of the joy you must have brought to her and perhaps to help you start a new life?

Ther is only on female Armstrong on the NSW  electoral roles, she is Margaret Mary living in New England district I donnn't have a paid subscription so can't look at h the deatails. Perhaps SKS will be able to check her out for you.

The death entry for her in NSW has her father as HARRY , no mother's name.
Lots of Armstrong deaths in NSW with the father George so unless we can fins a mother's name there is no way of moving forward on this.

there is this  1912 marriage: (no corresponding death)

13108/1912      ARMSTRONG      SIDNEY G  to  LANE      LIZZIE W  in ASHFIELD

regards

Robyn in  Australia
The following families and their Australian decendents:
Abbott, Barnard, Clarke, Inward, Lanfear, Rutter,Spencer:Middlesex
Greenaway:Cornwall
Edney, Godwin/Goodwin, Gullett:Hampshire;
Gullett:Devon
Emms:39th Regiment of Foot 1810-1832
Gordon:Scotland
Arnold, Morton:Ireland
Davies:Wales
Olcorn:Cumberland
Osborne:Staffordshire
Harrington:Kent
&
Gross: Tullau Wurtmemburg Germany

Offline joygee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 15 February 09 00:29 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kris, I really do think that this must be him on the Dundrum Castle, What happened to him after this (?) maybe jumped ship in the US. Many thanks once again

Offline joygee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 15 February 09 00:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Robyn, I was only a baby when I was left with Grandmother, and the name on my birth cert. is Ronda Joy. My father's name Ronald and mother's name Joyce, so thats how I got my name. Named by my G,mother. I was told that my Mum wanted to call me Rosemary but there was a big objection to that, and Gmother got her way.
My Uncle (still living) provided me with the only photo I've ever seen of him, but not until after Mum passed on. He also told me that he was  the biggest fibber he ever met ! So who knows about this Mrs. Armstrong ? She may have been a figment of his imagination.
Many thanks,  Joy

Online Sleat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 15 February 09 01:11 GMT (UK) »
There are some Armstrongs in Five Dock on the Electoral Roll

197 Lyons Road
Louisa Matilda monitor

Convent, First Avenue
Mary home duties

1 Undine Street
Robert James engineer

45 First Avenue
George foreman
Katherine Helen home duties
Betty Isabel student

32 West Street
Catherine home duties

52 Queen's Rd
Marion Audrey home duties

Convent, First Avenue
Mary home duties

I don't know if that will help

Offline regross

• RIP 16th November 2012
  • Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • paper doll fashionista
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 15 February 09 06:24 GMT (UK) »
Joygee,

I have been pondering on why she listed you as Evelyn in teh divorce proceedings.  Could it have been a slip or a more deliberate mistake hinting at Ronald's parentage?

Had a quick look on the electoral rolls and Sydney Armstrong seems to have lived in Echuca but Lizzie seems to have remained in Sydney.

Perhaps it was as you a say just a story.

From Sleat's post there seems to be none in Halley Street Fivedock at that time.

Have been investigating the Free BMD and there are several Ronald Lanes between1902 and 1906.

I know you have Ronald LARRY, but Ronald Henry could be shortened to Ronald HARRY taunton 1902

in 1906  there is a plain Ronald Lane in Cardiff and Ronald James in Wandsworth. Stangely there is an EVELYN LANE in Cardiff 1895

still keep on looking.

Robyn in Australia

The following families and their Australian decendents:
Abbott, Barnard, Clarke, Inward, Lanfear, Rutter,Spencer:Middlesex
Greenaway:Cornwall
Edney, Godwin/Goodwin, Gullett:Hampshire;
Gullett:Devon
Emms:39th Regiment of Foot 1810-1832
Gordon:Scotland
Arnold, Morton:Ireland
Davies:Wales
Olcorn:Cumberland
Osborne:Staffordshire
Harrington:Kent
&
Gross: Tullau Wurtmemburg Germany

Offline tropicalj

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • six grandkids
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 15 February 09 06:29 GMT (UK) »
I  was also wondering if  it  might be worthwile  posting your request on  the  Canada Board.

You never know what sort of help you could obtain from that end.

I  know  how frustrating all  this must be for you, my  father never knew his father and no details  to be had  but I  was very lucky  that NSW certificates had a great deal more information on  them  than  the South Australian ones of  the same era contained.

There ar so many  helpfull people on  the site  I  am sure all that can be done for you will be

kind  thoughts Jenn
When you search for ancestors, you find great friends!
I live in Townsville researching
TOWNSEND,PINNEGAR, STRANGE, PULLEN, GRIFFIN from Wiltshire,,
SHOEBRIDGE, VINALL, BRINDLE, Kent
BAYLEY, Dorset,Yorkshire,
HAIR, Durham,
CUMMINS, BROWNLESS from Yorkshire,
EDSALL,  Cornwall,
MORGAN, HENNESSY, BAKER,  Ireland.
VAN REYK Sri Lanka
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.au