Author Topic: Portobello Road School  (Read 35184 times)

Offline Rhodie

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Portobello Road School
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 31 March 09 13:11 BST (UK) »
My husband went to the Portobello Road infants school (early 60's), there is still an archway in Portobello Rd with it's name on.  It is on the left hand side of Portobello Road (not the antiques end) same side and close to the Electric cinema.    Sir Issac Newtons was his high school - not the same school, and a little way off from here (Ken Richmond - the Rank Gong man used to run a gym there in the 70's, and believe it is now an adult education centre).
Email me direct if you want more info.  A good read is Portobello its people its past its present.
 :)

Offline TheoR

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 07:52 GMT (UK) »
I was a teacher at a school on the Portobello Road in 1971-72. It was then called the Isaac Newton School for Boys and it catered for the Junior secondary students. There was another section to the school which was for the senior students. The teacher in charge at the time was Mr Porter. I have found the entrance from Portobello Rd on Google  maps but it seems to be permanently bolted shut.
Can some one tell me if it has it been closed?

Offline bumblebee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 01 March 10 16:17 GMT (UK) »
this posting is a bit adrift because I have been ignoring this site. I went to school in Portobello Road, and I wonder if there is confusion in the name. My school was called North Kensington Central with main entrance being in Portobello Road near the overhead Metropolitan Railway bridge. Next door was a Pie mash and eel shop. We did have another access from Lancaster Road,across a bombed site (this being in 1944-1949)
Lovell, Emerson, Biggs, Collett, Gullifer/Gulefer, Naylor/nayler, Heath, Bentote

Offline oldschool

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 14 May 10 16:30 BST (UK) »
I went to the Issac Newton school in Portobello Road as a child.
Taylor  Bramlely Road  London W10  1960's

Offline keithzx12r

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 15 January 11 14:00 GMT (UK) »
 :) Hello, I went to Portobello Road School from 1948 till the end of 1951. The two arch entrance in Portobello Road was at the end heading towards Harrow Road by the railway bridge, The railway line ran alognside the school so if you were travelling towards Ladbroke Grove station from Westbourne Park on the Metropolitan line you couls see the school in its entirety from the train. The middle section of the buildings was bombed and had a modern rebuild whereas the two surviving ends were the original Victorian red brick construction. The headmaster while I was there was a Mr Markham which was an apt name as wayward pupils were wheeled into his office for six of the best! There was another entrance at the other end of the school close to Ladbroke Grove, I beleive in Lancaster Road if memeory serves. Best wishes, Keith

Offline keithzx12r

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 15 January 11 14:04 GMT (UK) »
 ;) Bumblebee - you may have known my brother then. We moved up from Cornwall in 1948 and he joined the school in the 4th year I think - name Derek Parnell (Age 76).

Offline ddandy

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 07 July 11 08:35 BST (UK) »
Can anyone shed some light on exactly where the Portobello Road School in London, is or used to be? My grandfather was the live-in caretaker in the 1930s but I cannot find any trace of the building. I have been told that it could have changed its name to the Sir Isaac Newton school, but this has been impossible to prove. How can I find out where it was or is, and if it has been demolished? Many thanks in advance.

When i was there, it was called North kensington Secondary School and still was in 1954.

Offline rethink

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 10 November 11 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Bumblebee is correct.  I attended North Kensington Central School up to 1947.  It was a mixed school with the boys mostly choosing technical subjects and the girls choosing typing
and shorthand.  I think the headmaster was Mr Preece, our English teacher was "Ma" Robinson, maths was Mr Rees.  There was also Mr Williams. 

I am now 80 years old and I only have contact with one other contemporary girl pupil who married a boy who also attended the school with me.

Offline bumblebee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 11 November 11 10:03 GMT (UK) »
I am now 79 so probably a year behind Rethink, but as I remember the headmaster was Mr Markham Mr rees was certainly the maths teacher, Mr Warren the arts master. I remember Miss Lawton teaching Geography. Mr Williams was my favourite, every Xmas he would read A Christmas Carol aloud to the class, a little each day,  so it finished about the time we broke up for christmas.
It was a happy time despite the war.
If I knew how to I would add a photo taken on a school trip to Romney Marshes which includes Mr Williams.

Lovell, Emerson, Biggs, Collett, Gullifer/Gulefer, Naylor/nayler, Heath, Bentote