Author Topic: Drummond -Scotland  (Read 11681 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Drummond -Scotland
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 15 February 09 18:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

I forgot to mention about the naming conventions that you discussed earlier. I'm not sure if  Scottish travellers had a different system from the more usual Scottish one so it's for you to decide. However, the more usual form was:

Sons:

1st - after father's father
2nd - after mother's father
3rd - after father
4th - after father's eldest brother
etc.

Daughters:

1st - after mother's mother
2nd - after father's mother
3rd - after mother
4th - after mother's eldest sister

This was fairly flexible and many variations have been found (i've got instances in my own Scots ancestors). Sometimes prominent people would be named or the pattern would be flipped and I've seen some where there was no pattern whatsoever.

Also, if you'd like to copy all this out to work on on your own, it's possible to print out the whole of this topic.  At the top and bottom of this page there is a Print icon. If you click on this it will bring up a window with all the messages on the topic laid out ready to print. Just print this out using your standard method .

I'll leave you to digest and explore your family now. We've gone back 200 years and it's a lot in 24 hours.  If you need any more help, just yell.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline hijimhere

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 15 February 09 22:35 GMT (UK) »
According to the IGI ( www.familysearch.org ) , Alexander Drummond and Mary McFie had the following children:

1861 Mary - Balfron,Stirling
1863 Alexander - Callendar, Perth
1867 John - Port of Montieth, Perth
1869 James - Stralachan, Argyll
1871 Adam - Row, Dunbarton
1874 Alexander - Gargunnock, Stirling

Hiya

what was the source referene for this excerpt?

Thanks

Jim

Gadget

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 15 February 09 22:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim

As I said:

According to the IGI ( www.familysearch.org )

I entered Alexander Drummond in the father's name boxes and Mary McFie in the mother's name boxes. I then selected British Isles and Scotland. All other boxes were left empty.

The list of names then came up in alphabetic order. I then gave them to you in date order.

Try it  :)

Gadget

PS - I might have selected Birth/Christening as well
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline GarryMcCallum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 10 July 10 08:57 BST (UK) »
Hi

I just stumbled accross this thread. I would be very intrested in speaking to you about your family. My Name is Garry McCallum and All of my Ancestors were Tinkers,Basketmakers,Spoon Makers and Tinsmiths. They all lived around the Balfron,Drymen,Stirlingshire & Dumbartonshire areas. My Family Blood line is McCallum, But while doing my research your family name Drummond has popped up a few times. I noticed that you were speaking about Alexander McCallum and Mary McFie, They are also in my family tree, he would have been my G,G, Uncle.

I would love to have a look at your tree, I have a Tree on Ancestry & One on Genes Reunited. If you send me your email I will give you access to my tree. My Email is (*)

I hope to speak to you soon.

Garry McCallum

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline hijimhere

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 10 July 10 09:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Garry,
Thanks for your most welcome enquirey--(*) is my email.
Till now we have not been able to confirm the link with McCallum so it sounds like after 20 years looking we might have made it.  Let me know what to do next.

Best regards

Jim
(James)

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline GarryMcCallum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 10 July 10 11:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim

You now have access to my Tree. Could i have access to yours?

Garry

Offline tomwdcraftr

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Drummond -Scotland Looking 4 hijimhere
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 30 December 10 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jim    I was hoping this post would get to you. I believe I've seen your posts on this board and other boards. Seems you are in a line of Alexander Drummond's. I believe we have similar ancestors, and would like to compare notes and family trees for the Drummond line. My connection is I believe a Helen/Ellen Drummond I have who was born in Scotland in December 1800. I believe her parents were an Alexander Drummond and a Helen Diet, Dyet, Dyatt, Dyer, or perhaps Dewar. I do have information I believe on them. After reading some of your posts it would seem possible that your Alexander Drummond who I beleive was born in 1803 would seem to be a Brother to my Helen/Ellen Drummond. My ancestor married Matthew Todd who was from Northumberland, England, and they had thier children in Scotland. For the 1841 Scotland census Matthew is a stone ware merchant, and I believe he was a traveller. Directly above him on this same census I think is your Alexander and family, and he is also a stone ware merchant. Am hoping to hear from you, and compare info. Thanks so much!! Tom McMillan (Washougal, WA)

Offline MCRed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 18 August 17 23:51 BST (UK) »
Hello ,i have just joined rootschat looking for information about my family.
I think the Archi Burke  is my great grandfather my Grandmother was Mary Burke his daughter.We lived in Perth as well,small world :)

Offline MCRed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Saturday 19 August 17 00:33 BST (UK) »
I am looking for information about my grandmother and her family.I would like to find out when she became Mary Thomson Maybe no oficelle papers jumped the broom i think I know she was married to George Robertson and had one child Bella/Isabella  church register1920 she was 19 then had 4 children with Ebenezer Thomson  death26/03/1950 age 62
Bella/Isabelle or Isabella? Robertson   children;    John, Benjamin and Archiebald Robertson
Maggie /Margaret   Thomson                         :Linda,Thomas and williamina Mckinlay
Williamina Townsley Thomson           : Isabelle and Robert.Maki
Duncan Thomson                             :many children
Henry Thomson                               :many children

Any help would be more than welcome ,New to this  :)