Author Topic: SHEEHAN (Seaham) JOHNSTON (Whitehaven)  (Read 11311 times)

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: SHEEHAN (Seaham) JOHNSTON (Whitehaven)
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elz

As I mentioned before Sheehans either side of Seaham. Please do let us know what you glean from the certificate.

Gary
Preshous: Yorkshire/Durham
Penwrights: Bedfordshire/Tasmania
Blake: Sunderland
Stace: Sussex/Sunderland
Murray: Cumberland
Sanderson: Berwickshire/Durham
Burnside: Darlington

Offline Elz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Gary. Incidently I see you have Murrays in Cumberland. Ive just got to a Thomas Murray in 1853 in Whitehaven. Seems to be the step father of my great grandma. The GRO sent me back the money for her marriage certificate because I had put Murray as her surname. I did not know she was under her mothers maiden name. But I did put the correct record number down which they quoted back as correct. Charged me £3 for this!

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elz,

The GRO charge £3 for reference checking if you're not sure of some information, and that's included in the cert fee of £7 if the entry is correct.  You must give one piece of information that you are sure will appear on the certificate and a certificate will only be issued if the entry they check matches the checking point you give them.

As you gave them the wrong surname for her, they charged you for looking   ::)
It happened to me once when I mistyped the page number, even though I'd given both surnames, date, district and volume no. correctly - they sent £4 back and I had to re-order.  Definitely need to be careful with details when you place an order and probably worth asking them to do a check.

I prefer to order from a local register office, who most likely would phone to see if they have the right cert before they send, if there's that kind of problem.

Barbara   :)
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Elz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Excellent advice there, I will order from them in future. I guess I am learning with this search  ::) I will be more prepared next time! Cant wait to get Eleanor's cert now, at least I got that right  ;D

Offline Michael Dixon

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 18 February 09 23:53 GMT (UK) »
 Elz,

The boundary dividing the Sunderland and Easington Registration Districts was just south of Ryhope.

There are clues today to suggest whether Seaham was covered by Sunderland or Easington.

Seaham today lies in County Durham. Easington District lies in County Durham.

Sunderland does not. ( I won't stir folk up by saying that Sunderland like Newcastle , Gateshead , etc does not lie in any "county" ! )

And today Seaham lies within the jurisdiction of Easington District local authority ! To which you probably pay your Council Tax ?

But a clue that points the other way - but a false one, is that Seaham post codes prefix is SR, abbreviated from "Sunderland"
~~~~~~~~--------

Another factor to support Barbara's preference for using local ROs rather than GRO is that you have a chance of receiving a photocopy of the original registration, including your folk's actual writing, whereas GRO provide a copy of a copy .  Sunderland provides photocopies of original. Don't know about Easington - six years since I obtained a cert from Easington

Michael

Names.

GALLAGHER ( + variations).
Areas. Co Sligo, Co Leitrim, Co Mayo. IRELAND.
Ontario, CANADA
Lowell, Ma, USA
Counties of Northumberland & Durham, ENGLAND
-------------------------------------------------------------------
MALEY/MELIA/MALLEY  - with or without " O "
Westport Co Mayo. Northumberland
-------------------------------------------------------------------
DIXON
Cumberland.. Brampton, Carlisle, ENGLAND

Census information is Crown Copyright. from www.nationalarchives.

Offline Elz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 19 February 09 07:13 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Michael that is great information which will help me. It would be excellent for a chance to see the ancestors writing, so will remember not to go with GRO next time.

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 19 February 09 08:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elz

My GGG grandfather was John Murray c 1815 in Carlisle. I have not been able to take his line any further back :(
As you will know cumberland is a Murray hotspot.

Gary

Offline Elz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 20 February 09 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Robert and Eleanor's marriage certificate has just arrived! I feel really excited to be holding this new information!!! Marriage date 17/4/1933 Holy Trinity church Whitehaven. Eleanor Sheehan (sadly no DOB) Spinster, 39 Park View, Castle Croft, Egremont. Father John Sheehan Iron ore. I have been wondering what his name was! Also present Roberts sister Lily and Edward Sheehan who may be Eleanors brother or uncle? Its another name! I am really delighted and happy to have this information and wanted to share it with you. Elz x

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Friday 20 February 09 13:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elz

Great news. At least now you have her fathers name & occupation that should help you narrow the field down a bit  ;D

Gary