Author Topic: SHEEHAN (Seaham) JOHNSTON (Whitehaven)  (Read 11274 times)

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Rosalie Mathilda Jönsson 1916-1999
    • View Profile
Re: SHEEHAN (Seaham) JOHNSTON (Whitehaven)
« Reply #27 on: Friday 20 February 09 17:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elz,

Thanks for coming back with the marriage details.  Wonder if the family I found in 1901 is the right one?  That father John was a Hewer, which is usually coal mining, could he have been an iron ore worker later in Cumberland?  Maybe they moved to Cumberland after the 1901 census?

There is a birth reg for an Edward Carver Sheehan Jun 1908 Whitehaven  10b    792

It may be worth asking Tynemouth register office to ask about the birth for the Ellen Sheehan 1903 I gave earlier, to see if her father was John.

Barbara

`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 20 February 09 17:48 GMT (UK) »
Found this marriage:  Mar 1896 Whitehaven    10b   863
Carver  Eliza Ann     Sheehan    John    

another birth reg, Edward's brother at a guess, maybe also Eleanor's?
Jun 1916 Whitehaven    10b   1335   Vincent SHEEHAN  mother's maiden name  CARVER

Have tried to find John and Eliza Ann in Whitehaven in 1901 without success. Did they go to Northumberland and then return later to Whitehaven?

It's tempting to think they married there 1896, had sons John 1897 and Daniel 1898 at Cleator Moor, then moved to Wallsend, had Eleanor (or Ellen) 1903 and then maybe moved back to have Edward then Vincent in Whitehaven area (Egremont and Cleator Moor both come under Whitehaven reg district)

Without birth certs this is conjecture of course, and the 1911 census will be a great help once it comes out for Northumberland and Cumberland

What do you think, Gary, or Michael?

Barbara  :)    
`There are two lasting bequests we can give our children -  One is roots - the other is wings`- Hodding Carter

Census and bmd information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Lincs & Yorks - SIVILLS PREDGEN    Norfolk - EBBS WHITEROD ZIPFELL       Sweden - JÖNSSON CRONBERG ANDERSSON      Yorks - SPENCE HIDE HIRD      Durham - DALKIN SELBY RENWICK

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 20 February 09 18:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barbara

I read your post with interest. It is very plausible. I only wish we had 1911 census for Durham/Northumberland then we could narrow it down. I have a gut feeling that the Edward as a witness was her brother, but again how can we prove it. I think if we find all the family in the 1911 census then we will get our answers. The mystery goes on. On a more positive note at least Elz has found another part of the jigsaw.

Gary
Preshous: Yorkshire/Durham
Penwrights: Bedfordshire/Tasmania
Blake: Sunderland
Stace: Sussex/Sunderland
Murray: Cumberland
Sanderson: Berwickshire/Durham
Burnside: Darlington

Offline Elz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 20 February 09 19:31 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks everyone for your detective work! My Grandmother Eleanor Sheehan had two children, John and Joan Elizabeth. After John and Eliza? Me and my brother HAD to be named after our grandparents. Do you think I should send off for John and Elizabeths marriage certificate? I was surprised the cert I got today didnt have their dates of births on!

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 20 February 09 19:41 GMT (UK) »
It may be worth asking Tynemouth register office to ask about the birth for the Ellen Sheehan 1903 I gave earlier, to see if her father was John.

I'd go for the above first, then wait a couple of months for the 1911 census

Barbara  :)

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 20 February 09 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Elz
I would echo Barbara's post. I know curiosty will eat away at you but family history took 100s of years to establish so a few months is well worth the wait.

Gary

Offline Elz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 20 February 09 20:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks I will wait for the cencus to come out, but I am so excited!   :o I will try the Tynemouth connection first.

Is the Family Search site reliable or not? I have found an Elizabeth Ann Carver born about 1859 whitehaven, married to a John Carver. Its possible he died and she married John Sheehan in 1896 aged 37 ???

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 20 February 09 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Elz
The IGI or Familysearch is an excellent tool but like anything else, never believe it until you have seen it, and by seen it I mean the original document. I have come across some real howlers in the IGI.

Gary

Offline Ecneps

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 20 February 09 22:26 GMT (UK) »
I have found an Elizabeth Ann Carver born about 1859 whitehaven, married to a John Carver. Its possible he died and she married John Sheehan in 1896 aged 37 ???

Now Elz! Don't get carried away with my earlier musings.  :D

Elizabeth Ann born 1859 Whitehaven was married to John Carver
marriage reg Jun 1875 Whitehaven    10b   942
CARVER John        PEMBERTON Elizabeth Ann        

In the 1891 census John Carver is a farmer, wife Elizabeth and 7 children and sisterinlaw Mary E Pemberton were living in St.Bees Hensingham, Cumberland
They are still there in 1901

Definitely not the Elizabeth who married John Sheehan!! 
They may have been the parents of the Eliza Ann who married a John Sheehan in 1896, but I can't see a daughter of that name with them in any census from 1881 onwards.

But none of them can be proved to be connected to your Eleanor without her birth certificate - first priority

Barbara