Author Topic: age of death on headstone  (Read 5150 times)

Offline slothbear

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
age of death on headstone
« on: Sunday 15 February 09 19:01 GMT (UK) »
hello

i have looked at the parrish registers and found a death of my ggggrandfather in 1788,i tryed  looking for his headstone in landegla church yard,to see an age so i could work out a birth date and so his parents maybe , but had no luck
 as i am looking for quite a common name in roberts roberts i cant take a guess really at when he was born,so im stuck

if there was a headstone would of it of had an age of death on it in the 1780s or didnt they start putting ages of death on till the 1800s,or 1900s

ian

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: age of death on headstone
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 15 February 09 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian
In about 95% of legible gravestones an age at death is given. Sometimes a birth date may be on the stone and around 0.5% give only the death date. This does vary from region to region. Stones from 1700s don't appear to be any different from this trend. However ages at death can be a few years out so even if they are on the stone use them as a guide rather than fact.

Gary
Preshous: Yorkshire/Durham
Penwrights: Bedfordshire/Tasmania
Blake: Sunderland
Stace: Sussex/Sunderland
Murray: Cumberland
Sanderson: Berwickshire/Durham
Burnside: Darlington

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 15 February 09 21:09 GMT (UK) »
The downside is that you need to be aware that not all burials necessarily had a headstone.  Some people could not afford them. 

As Gary has implied, the legibility of any possible headstone would also come into it.  Sometimes, they become illegible in under 100 years.  Much depends on the type of stone.

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline slothbear

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 February 09 21:25 GMT (UK) »

thanks for your reply,

its just a pity then that i cant find the headstone,i have wrote to the rector asking for the whereabouts of the grave just in case i have missed it .

they did reply back to me saying there was no headstone,but they also said that upon futher examination of the records there is an entry of the buriel,but the writing is very difficult to read.

now could that mean that in these records there is an age of death or where he lived,
has anyone had any experiance in viewing these records
what could be written on them

ian

Offline Preshous

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 February 09 21:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ian

If they say there are records of the burial then it would nice for you to have a copy. even if they can not read it does not mean someone else can't.

Gary
Preshous: Yorkshire/Durham
Penwrights: Bedfordshire/Tasmania
Blake: Sunderland
Stace: Sussex/Sunderland
Murray: Cumberland
Sanderson: Berwickshire/Durham
Burnside: Darlington

Offline Little Nell

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 February 09 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Burial records in the 18th century are often just one line, for example:

1 March John Brown was buried.

There may be no age, no indication of where he lived, who his wife was etc.

If the person was a child, it may give an indication of the father.  It may also give an approximate age or say "infant"

In other words, there is no guarantee that the register contains any information other than the bare minimum: date and name of person buried.

It can be disappointing.  :(

Nell
All census information: Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline slothbear

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 15 February 09 22:04 GMT (UK) »

thanks again

your proberly right i was starting to get my hopes up again ha

in the letter he wrote he put ,,

entry of the buriel of robert roberts in the year 1888, its over 200 years ago,the writing is very difficult to read.

i thought that there was more writing but he couldnt read it,now since your reply it looks as if he means the name and date are very difficult to read
nevermind i might follow it up anyway

ive been trying to think of different ways over the months to try and find more out about robert roberts like his age ,but by the looks of it i may have come to an end with my tree,which is dissapointing

thanks for your help,if you have any advice for me to get back futher that would be great,i think without an age i cannot pinpoint his birth and therfore not say who his parents were,i have also tryed to find his marriage but there are over thirty marriages with robert roberts and a mary in the years i think they were marryed? so like i said any help i would be most greatful

ian