Author Topic: Family in Armagh, Antrim, Tyrone  (Read 37029 times)

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Family in Armagh, Antrim, Tyrone
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 18 June 09 09:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Rosemary

Yes, I saw there were several Thomases. Now, I have to determine who his wife was. Eliza Mary was listed as Presbyterian on the 1901 Census so at least that narrows it down a bit. Slowly but surely....
ARMSTRONG: Ireland, Canada, USA  BUCKLEY: Ireland, Canada  DONOVAN: Ireland, London, USA, Australia  DOOLEY: Ireland  DOWNEY: Ireland  ECKERSALL: England, Penang  HAMILTON: Tyrone, Armagh, Penang, England, Wales, Australia, Canada  HAMPTON: England, Wales  MACKEY: Ireland, Canada, USA  McINTYRE: England, Penang  REID: Ireland, Canada  REID: Ireland, Canada  SAWYER: England, Canada  STEWART: Penang, Ireland, USA  TODD: Ireland  TOOLSERAM: Penang, Australia  WATTS: England  WILSON: England

Offline norh

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 18 June 09 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hi again Jill,
I went to the cemetery and found your relatives grave. Its is a double grave with Todd adjoining. I see you have Todd surname in your family tree so copied the information also. Details as follow:-
                           HAMILTON
John Hamilton who died 27th June 1925 aged 87 years
His wife Elizabeth Mary died 19th December 1927 aged 92
Their grandson Robert Hamilton Todd L.D.S who died 24th August 1930 age 27

TODD
William John Todd, JP died 17 Nov 1938 aged 69 years
His wife Catherine died 7th Jan 1964 aged 92 years.
Another headstone was placed inside the Todd grave and on it was written:-
Gregory Reid died 28th Nov 1957
wife Winnifred died 18th June 1977

HAMILTON
A few graves along the same path was another Hamilton grave. Dont know if its a relative but i copied the details because of the name Thomas.
In loving memory of  our dear mother
Margaret Hamilton died 27th Dec 1920
Also our dear father Thomas Hamilton who was interred Patterson USA.
Their daughter Sarah died 5th Feb 1933
Clara Hamilton died 22 March 1941 aged 67 years.

Hope this is very useful. Also Census in post to you today.
Noreen

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 18 June 09 19:15 BST (UK) »
Oh Noreen, Thank you!! Roots Chat members are unbelievable. I so appreciate you going out of your way to help me in my quest, I am grinning ear to ear.... 

Can you tell me the name/location of the Cemetary? I don't know if it's possible to take some pictures, that would be a bonus. My goal is to get there in person, but in the meantime, I'll enjoy it in my mind's eye.

Yes, Catherine Agnes TODD is their daughter's married name, so you've helped fill in a few more bricks....

I don't know if the last Hamilton grouping is related until I know more about John's parents/siblings but I suspect they might be, it's just a matter of finding the pieces. Right now, all I know is that John's Father's name was David and he was a farmer, born in Tyrone. I don't have any information at all about his siblings.

John and his family were very close to the McCrum's of Milford. I understand there are some pictures of them in the Milford House Museum. I've been in touch with Stephen McManus from the Museum and am purchasing the book they produced on Milford. I am anxiously awaiting its arrival!

Have a great day, you have definitely made mine!!!

Jill
ARMSTRONG: Ireland, Canada, USA  BUCKLEY: Ireland, Canada  DONOVAN: Ireland, London, USA, Australia  DOOLEY: Ireland  DOWNEY: Ireland  ECKERSALL: England, Penang  HAMILTON: Tyrone, Armagh, Penang, England, Wales, Australia, Canada  HAMPTON: England, Wales  MACKEY: Ireland, Canada, USA  McINTYRE: England, Penang  REID: Ireland, Canada  REID: Ireland, Canada  SAWYER: England, Canada  STEWART: Penang, Ireland, USA  TODD: Ireland  TOOLSERAM: Penang, Australia  WATTS: England  WILSON: England

Offline norh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 18 June 09 19:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Jill,
The cemetery is at Rock Rd just outside Armagh City. Its quite close to where i live so it was not a big deal to check it out for you. I did not think i would find the grave so easily therefore did not have the camera with me. However ill go back again, take photos and email them to you. When you come to Armagh ill drive you to the cemetery.
Im happy to have made your day a good one. If there are any other contacts you want me to follow up dont hesitae to ask.   

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 18 June 09 21:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Noreen

Does the cemetery have a name? I found a website that describes Armagh Walks and they don't name it.

http://www.mulelia.net/emigratie/armagh/city.html

If you don't mind, I'll give you locations and if you could take pictures, that would be great. I'll send a PM with a family pic. Not sure of date but their children likely travelled a distance: David Livingstone, London; William (my ggf), Penang; Thomas James Canterbury, Belfast; Elizabeth Davidson, Tynan?; and Samuel, Savannah, Georgia, USA. I think John George and Catherine Agnes were in Armagh City and Milford. I think William went to Penang ~1892, Samuel to USA ~1907 (from ship's lists). Although, it appears both travelled back, from time to time.

Stephen McManus from Manor House Museum tells me John & Eliza Mary lived on __ Hill Street. He knows which house. John was Schoolmaster at Milford National School. Eliza Mary was a teacher when married, later was post mistress out of the front parlour in their Hill Street home.

Catherine/ Katherine Agnes and William John TODD lived in Milford, location unknown. The cemetery indicates JP, Justice of Peace?, I thought he was a merchant/grocer although there were two possibilities so I may have the wrong one. Will have to backtrack to check. Katherine taught at Milford National School as well.

I think their daughter, Mary Winnifred and husband, Gregory REID lived in Milford as well. Not sure about their son, Robert Hamilton REID. I found reference to him as a dentist on a couple ship's lists, not sure where. Cemetery indicated LDS, maybe a Licensed Dental Surgeon? I think Winifred may have also been a teacher.

It is amazing, when my father died in Jan 2008, I didn't know anything. Mind you, I have been obsessed with finding out, at great cost, dollars, sleep, emotions, health etc......

Again, thanks for all your help.

J

Offline norh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 18 June 09 22:56 BST (UK) »
Jill,
I dont know the cemetery name but ill make a few enquiries and get back to you. (Known locally as simply the Presbyterian Cemetery Rock RD) The web site you mentioned gives a perfect description of how to get to the cemetery where your relatives are buried.
Talk soon. Noreen

Offline norh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 19 June 09 19:58 BST (UK) »
Hi again,
William J Todd was a native of Castlederg, Co Tyrone and came to Milford at the request of RG Mc Crum. After marrying Catherine Hamilton they ran the corner shop Milford.
Noreen

Offline hamiltonhunt

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 20 June 09 01:03 BST (UK) »
Thanks.

That was the alternate fellow I had found. I had his birthdate from Emerald Ancestors as 4 Mar 1869, Castleberg, Tyrone, his parents were Robert TODD and Jane STEWART. I no longer have a subscription but see from IFHF that they were likley married in 1865 in Tyrone. Will have to investigate that more. (Trying to watch the expenditures).

Have you seen anything that mentions what the initials JP stand for after his name on the gravestone? I did find that LDS means Licentiate in Dental Surgery, which is basically what I thought.

Passenger Ships Lists have been an incredible source on my family, it appears everyone travelled quite a bit. Between UK, Canada, US, Penang, South Africa, Australia, you name it. Catherine and William Todd's son took a trip around the world, that's how I found out he had studied dentistry. So far, I haven't found anyone still in Ireland. I sure hope there still is some family there.

J

Offline TF13

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Emain Macha
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 20 June 09 12:44 BST (UK) »
hi,
william todd j.p.(loughmacrody) was a magistrate who presided on the petty sessions court in carrickmore,tyrone, in 1910. there is also a william todd,loughmacrody, listed as a farmer so possibly they are the same person. i hope this helps a bit and doesn't confuse you instead :)

tony